Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDoS-protected DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDoS-protected DNS

asvasv Member

I was recently hit by DDoS attack which wouldn't be a problem if not the fact I use NS1 and they charge for >500K queries per month.

Therefore, I am looking for a reliable DNS provider who:

• Offers DDoS-protected DNS with 2FA auth. to the control panel.
  • Unlimited queries per month
  • Supports DNSSEC
  • Competitively priced

So far, ClouDNS looks like a winner. Any alternatives?

Comments

• if it's not going to be open to the public and just used by you, then you can easily run your own. bind9 is a quick setup. In fact that's what I do.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

cloudflare ?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Cloudflare looks like it fits the bill and would be free. You can turn off their reverse proxy too if you feel that way inclined.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Check zilore.com

• asvasv Member
    edited March 2018

@adxn,
    Thanks, but AFAIK dev. team iі based in Russia which is a tad risky. Especially given the upcoming elections.

• asvasv Member
    edited March 2018

@hostdare, @ElliotJ:

First 500k DNS requests are free.

$.50 per every 500k DNS requests after.

• AidanAidan Member
    edited March 2018

@asv said:
    @hostdare, @ElliotJ:

If you're using a load balancer setup, then that's nothing compared to your $xxxx(x)-per month infrastructure costs.

Basic DNS queries are free: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/203502550-Does-Cloudflare-charge-for-or-limit-DNS-queries-

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

So the attackers are attacking your DNS but not your server?

If your server has DDoS Protection, why not just use your server to run the DNS server?

If your server does not have DDoS Protection, why on earth are they hitting your DNS and not your site?

Or perhaps I'm missing some vital information. You've got mirrors all over the world and the DNS points to whichever is geographically best for the client? If so, don't you need more than just a simple DNS server?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • asvasv Member

@randvegeta, serving of web-pages is outsourced to another provider (it's just a bunch of *.html/.css/.js). If there was DDoS aimed at them... Well, then no one really noticed :)

• @asv said:
    @randvegeta, serving of web-pages is outsourced to another provider (it's just a bunch of *.html/.css/.js). If there was DDoS aimed at them... Well, then no one really noticed :)

what? are you sure? no matter what you host there if someone DDoS your server big enough you will noticed it.

I rarely saw people attack the dns before main server.

• I suggest DNSIMPLE..

They use Cloudflare as their Server Proxy and works fine for me.

https://dnsimple.com/r/7bf8869c950cbd

• NomadNomad Member

There's also ClouDNS.net

• GodsGods Member

@Nomad said:
    There's also ClouDNS.net

Read Again

• GodsGods Member

@StevenZhu said:
    I suggest DNSIMPLE..

Interested, what do you mean by this? They use cloudflare as their server proxy? Sounds like they bought Cloudflare Enterprise and used custom nameservers

• NomadNomad Member

@Gods said:

@Nomad said:
    There's also ClouDNS.net

Read Again

Ohh, bummer. I missed the last line.

• filefile Member

@Gods said:

@StevenZhu said:
    I suggest DNSIMPLE..

Interested, what do you mean by this? They use cloudflare as their server proxy? Sounds like they bought Cloudflare Enterprise and used custom nameservers

No, they use Cloudflare virtual DNS which frontends their own DNS servers with Cloudflare, so you only see Cloudflare servers while the backends remain hidden and the records can be cached at the Cloudflare side. Others do the same (such as DigitalOcean).

• DylanDylan Member
    edited March 2018

@asv said:

CloudFlare does not charge for DNS queries. That sounds like the pricing for load balancing, which I'm guessing you wouldn't be using since it's not listed as a requirement in the OP?

• GodsGods Member

@file said:

@Gods said:

@StevenZhu said:
    I suggest DNSIMPLE..

No, they use Cloudflare virtual DNS which frontends their own DNS servers with Cloudflare, so you only see Cloudflare servers while the backends remain hidden and the records can be cached at the Cloudflare side. Others do the same (such as DigitalOcean).

Huh interesting, essentially though they're using cloudflare as DDoS mitigation and even Anycast

• filefile Member

Indeedy! I found it amusing, mind you, since their business is DNS and they even have it in their name, that they rely on Cloudflare for that.

• GodsGods Member
    edited March 2018

@file said:
    Indeedy! I found it amusing, mind you, since their business is DNS and they even have it in their name, that they rely on Cloudflare for that.

Yeah lol so they didn't even have to integrate Anycast, only simple DNS servers wtf

• asvasv Member
    edited March 2018

Just wanted to thank you all. After talking to several providers, I've decided to go with ClouDNS.

P.S @BoyanPeychev is awesome.

• serversupportzserversupportz Member, Host Rep

@asv said:
    I was recently hit by DDoS attack which wouldn't be a problem if not the fact I use NS1 and they charge for >500K queries per month.

Therefore, I am looking for a reliable DNS provider who:

• Offers DDoS-protected DNS with 2FA auth. to the control panel.
    • Unlimited queries per month
    • Supports DNSSEC
    • Competitively priced

So far, ClouDNS looks like a winner. Any alternatives?

Try Cloudflare

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • +1 for Cloudflare, see this survey. :)