Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup Storage Space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup Storage Space

AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
edited February 2018 in Requests

Looking for a KVM, Dedicated for backup storage.

Space: Around 6 TB
Transfer: 4TB+ (Would prefer unlimited capped at 100mbps or something)
CPU: 1CPU
Memory: 1GIG.
Price: 40USD <

Doesn't need to be redundant, this is just backup space. On average will use 2TBs of bandwidth per month, but want to have some wiggle room.

US/Canada preferred but can be anywhere, really.

Needs to be a well known provider, and been on the board for over a year.

Thanks!

Comments

• There was this discussion for a 2TB KVM with some useful leads/comments (including mine). May give you a start. 6TB KVM seems very rare IMHO and I think a dedi is the (only?) option. I'm not sure if stacking multiple KVMs (2TB x 3) is possible other than the KS-2Es (or better) x 3.

I think @Harambe's point on the Hetzner auction's are probably the best option.

There's also the Hetzner cloud + storage box option but that's not raw storage like you probably want.

I'm curious and interested about options as well just for knowledge's sake.

There was supposed to be some new options from OVH/Kimsufi around now but it's been pretty quiet so far.

Anyway I'm also going to be watching to see what other ideas popup.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Incero had some nice autoserver deals last week, got a E3-1230/16GB/2x6TB for $40/m.

In terms of stuff that's currently available, could talk to wishosting about stacking 3 of the 'KVM Storage CA' plans (3x1.8TB = $30/m). https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/VPS/?group_id=2

Hetzner is a good option if you're willing to look at Europe. Dacentec's ShitBox(tm) is also a decent option but not currently in stock (2x2TB + 4x1TB + ancient opteron for $25/mo).

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited February 2018

@UltraVPS comes pretty close, if they can do something custom for you

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • Thanks will look!

• wishosting storage CA works well for me

Just order 3-4 and build a HUGE storage kvm using the resources in their OpenNebula panel.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • @vimalware said:
    wishosting storage CA works well for me

Just order 3-4 and build a HUGE storage kvm using the resources in their OpenNebula panel.

So you can lump them together without using software on the vm itself?

• @AlyssaD said:

@vimalware said:

So you can lump them together without using software on the vm itself?

I believe they are indeed stackable.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@vimalware said:

@willie said:
    @exception0x876

Thanks guys, unfortunately, we have a limit of 1.8TB disk per VM due to limitations of our platform.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

Oh it really has to be all in a single VM, hmm. If EU is ok and you don't need RAID, you could get a Hetzner auction dedi, currently around $40 exVAT, or that new SYS 4x2TB storage server at about $46. Or wait for @cociu. Someone mentioned Incero but they have banned all LET members. Until the BuyVM slabs arrive, this is going to be hard to do in the US.

Added: @Virmach

https://virmach.com/cloud-storage-servers/

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @exception0x876 said:

@vimalware said:

@willie said:
    @exception0x876

Thanks guys, unfortunately, we have a limit of 1.8TB disk per VM due to limitations of our platform.

R.I.P. I was really liking that possibility with you.

• vishvish Member

@Harambe said:
    Incero had some nice autoserver deals last week, got a E3-1230/16GB/2x6TB for $40/m.

nice, was this recurring?

@vish said:

Yeh, $30 first month, $40 recurring

• @Harambe said:

@vish said:

Yeh, $30 first month, $40 recurring

Don't see it up currently :(

@AlyssaD said:

Don't see it up currently :(

They had 6 in stock and they were gone after a few hours, but might be good to check back periodically. They had some 1x10TB E3s as well for the same price just prior to that.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2018

• UmairUmair Member

@Harambe said:

When did that happen ???? I didn't see anything.
    I am always late to the good stuff... :( :(

Right now only have server with Dacentec and looking for a 2nd home.

@Umair said: When did that happen ???? I didn't see anything. I am always late to the good stuff... :( :(

Last Wednesday. I don't think it got posted here, one of those right place at the right time deals

• Harambe said: I don't think it got posted here

You DO know why, right? I didn't want to bring it up again.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc ryanarp
  • UmairUmair Member

@Harambe said:
    I don't think it got posted here, one of those right place at the right time deals

Well their current deals are not that good for single monthly backup server. :(

I think I am gonna stick with Dacentec for their $25/m server ...
    (No issue with them as such. Just wanted a 2nd backup server )

• I decided the easiest solution for now is So You Start.

Found a 6tb dedi for 34$ a month: https://www.soyoustart.com/us/offers/1804armada03.xml

Thanked by 2hostdare vimalware