Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage - Any offsite backup provider using ZFS integrated with borg?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage - Any offsite backup provider using ZFS integrated with borg?

Hi,

As the title suggests I'm looking for an offsite backup solution that runs over ZFS (snapshots are mandatory) that supports integration with borgbackup.

Any recommendation of a good provider?

(If I opened this thread into the wrong section or with the wrong tags, feel free to ammend it :) )

Comments

• Hetzner storage box (inexpensive) or rysnc dot net ('enterprise' priced)

If you sign up with Hetzner as a new client on Friday night, please do not expect instant verification+activation. Their administration office works Monday to Friday.

• Thanks.

There are lots of bad reviews on Hetzner and they don't appear to have lenient policies in terms of verification (i.e. they require scan of passport and ID), so I don't think I will go with then. However, they do have a nice price thought.

rsync.net is very expensive, how do they claim they are cheaper than amazon??

Any other alternatives??

• rsync.net is very expensive, how do they claim they are cheaper than amazon??

Have you ever seen Amazon's pricing?

• @Aidan said:

rsync.net is very expensive, how do they claim they are cheaper than amazon??

Have you ever seen Amazon's pricing?

rsync.net charges 8 cents/GB/month . S3 charges $0.023 per GB an huge difference.

• I'm pretty sure a basic drivers licence will do as ID for Hetzner. (if the address is mentioned on it like mine)

• I don't have any reason to think hetzner or rsync uses ZFS. Transip.eu / transip.nl does have ZFS storage ( https://www.transip.eu/vps/big-storage/ ). Rsync has a 0.04/GB promo which is still imho on the expensive side if you need multiple TB, plus there's that 0.03/GB attic plan linked above.

It would help if you said your location preference. I think it's preferable to have your storage on the same continent as yourself. In any case, Hetzner's transatlantic network is pretty slow. They're good within EU.

• adamlukadamluk Member
    edited February 2018

@willie said:
    I don't have any reason to think hetzner or rsync uses ZFS. Transip.eu / transip.nl does have ZFS storage ( https://www.transip.eu/vps/big-storage/ ). Rsync has a 0.04/GB promo which is still imho on the expensive side if you need multiple TB, plus there's that 0.03/GB attic plan linked above.

It would help if you said your location preference. I think it's preferable to have your storage on the same continent as yourself. In any case, Hetzner's transatlantic network is pretty slow. They're good within EU.

http://www.rsync.net/resources/faq.html

As of the Summer of 2012, the rsync.net storage platform is based on ZFS. We utilize raidz-3 (a raid array that can withstand 3 failed disks, as opposed to raid-6 that can withstand only 2 failed disks) with conservatively sized (12 disk) vdevs. We also create zpools with 4 or fewer vdevs.

Our ZFS platform uses the very best practices (IT, or "disk only" firmware on our host bus adaptors and only ECC RAM) as well as very conservative (overkill, really) disk replacement and scrub schedules.

All power is conditioned and backed by battery banks which are backed by diesel generators. Physical machines are connected to at least two distinct power circuits.

rsync.net performs quarterly audits of power load and equipment failover, and we are quite strict as to what constitutes "passing".

Thanked by 1willie
  • Hetzner are also using ZFS although they don't seem to go into the exact config, just that they state under the Snapshots section:

Access to a snapshot is possible via the directory "/.zfs/snapshots" on the storage box, if activated in the Robot...

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Storage_Boxes/en

Thanked by 1willie
  • mmorismmoris Member
    edited February 2018

Thank you all for the recommendations.

I was looking at the transip.eu but their price seems even more expensive than rsync.net, which is already expensive.
    For instance, a single VPS with 50GB of storage (which includes only one snapshot) they charge 5e on the first month and 10e after that.
    I need at least 1TB of disk space, so A VM with 1T of storage and enough RAM to run ZFS replication comfortably would cost a lot at tansip.eu that's far too expensive for me. It would be cheaper if I build my own NAS on ZFS.

The 3 cents/GB/month for rsync.net its not that far off of my budget, but it doesn't include snapshots. :(
    However they seem to know what they are doing, their description is very detailed and their setup seems to be very resilient (raidz3 is one of the most expensive raid arrays but it does offers a lot of resiliency).

Apart from these, apparently there aren't much options out there.

• Forgot to mention, I live in France, so it must be something in Europe.

• mmoris said: transip.eu but their price seems even more expensive

You want to look at their "big storage" product, which is 10 euro/month for 2 TB. You do additionally need a VPS from them to access it. But the storage itself is reasonably priced.

https://www.transip.eu/vps/big-storage/

• @willie said:

You want to look at their "big storage" product, which is 10 euro/month for 2 TB. You do additionally need a VPS from them to access it. But the storage itself is reasonably priced.

https://www.transip.eu/vps/big-storage/

Thanks Willie, but that's too expensive still.
    If it was only 10e without any other fees, that would be under my budget, but that's not the case unfortunately.

Thanks again