Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are VPS6.net employees from India? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are VPS6.net employees from India?

2»

Comments

• GaNiGaNi Member

Outsourcing in India is Incredibly cheap! Just like IC fabrication in China.

• support123support123 Member
    edited May 2013

@Mun I am from there actually so feedback is real

@GaNi said: Outsourcing in India is Incredibly cheap! Just like IC fabrication in China.

But you need to find the right worker as well for quality work.It is best if you live inside and they work under your directly.

• bizzardbizzard Member

I just wanted not to derail the thread and had replied to @Mun by PM. Since you guys are into it, let me express my views too.

I am from the southern part of India and for us, what looks more serious is the Palestine/Israel issue and the Korean issue. Earlier it was Iraq and Afghanistan, when the war was on.

Being neighbors, India has few issues with Pakistan and China in the case of borders. But those are more related to political stuffs and can be solved in a round table meeting. In my personal opinion, nothing that worse is gonna happen even if its left as it is now.

• DamianDamian Member

Nevermind, sale's already completed.

Carry on.

• Instead of giving them your root password ask them for their public key. You can then add that to your authorized_keys file and they can log in as root. Once they've done their work you can remove the key. Of course you are still giving them root access and they can do anything they like on your server but at least your aren't opening yourself up to bruteforce SSH attacks in the meantime.

BTW where in South India are you? Tamilnadu?

• bizzardbizzard Member

Well, the VPS6.net support can't help much. Many files are corrupted and most of them feels like the ones in use by the server, including the logs. Feels like the server was rebooted or shut down forcefully. Is there any way I can confirm what has happened?

Backing up as much as I can to a different server now. Also, is it recommenced to run a file system check on the vps? If so, what all arguments to be given?

• bizzardbizzard Member

@Abdussamad said: Instead of giving them your root password ask them for their public key

At that time, I couldn't even login to the server.

@Abdussamad said: BTW where in South India are you? Tamilnadu?

Nops. Kerala; God's own country :)

• bizzardbizzard Member

@Damian said: Nevermind, sale's already completed.

Carry on.

Can you throw some light into it?

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited May 2013

@bizzard said:

Backing up as much as I can to a different server now. Also, is it recommenced to run a file system check on the vps? If so, what all arguments to be given?

Put a blank file named forcefsck in the root folder of every file system you want to check. Then reboot. So for example:

touch /forcefsck
    touch /home/forcefsck
    reboot

Edit: Of course you will need access to the server. Otherwise get your provider to do it for you.

• bretonbreton Member

VPS6

Oh, I remember that guy... What was his name, can someone remind me?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2013

Dann Fry (or one of his plenty fake identities).

• @Spirit was it really that guy?

• @bizzard said: Kerala

Aaah Kalaripayattu

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2013

@eastonch said: @Spirit was it really that guy?

@eastonch - yes of course, it was one of his companies - that's indisputable as even ServerGurus "admitted" that they bought VPS6.net from him after evidences about Dann Fry involvement (domain whois, old forum logs..) was already exposed at LET. He was caught. Old story.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

I've always been suspicious about VPS6. I haven't purchased a VPS in a very long time, most likely because I run all my servers myself from my home network on my old spare Pentium 4 machine

• bizzardbizzard Member

@Abdussamad said: touch /forcefsck

touch /home/forcefsck
    reboot

Thanks for the tip. Will try it after moving some more data.

@vRozenSch00n said: Aaah Kalaripayattu

Yep. And Kathakali(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathakali) and Vallam Kali(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallam_Kali) too :)

• @bizzard said: Kathakali

Love the Mahabharata epic :)

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited May 2013

@bizzardee, vere valla nalla companeem nookikolu..

• bizzardbizzard Member
    edited May 2013

@praveen said: @bizzardee, vere valla nalla companeem nookikolu..

Glad to see a malayalee over here. But I think being a worldwide community, its better to stick on some language which all could understand :)

btw, I have a couple of VPS with mos of the top LEB providers over here as well as few others which are not low end. Keeping this one with VPS6.net just because I had some refund credits over there. From my experience, I won't recommend it to anyone.

@Damian said: Nevermind, sale's already completed.

Any update on that?

@vRozenSch00n said: Love the Mahabharata epic :)

:)

• DamianDamian Member

@bizzard said: Any update on that?

It's done and over... there isn't really anything to update.

• @blizzard You experience is like a mirror of my experience with vps6.net. I've had nothing but problems with this service. Not 1 month passed without something major happening like a DDoS attack in April, 2 reinstallations, SolusVM crashes from June 18th to today, poor paid "Bronze" service, etc. I'm looking for a xen vps but managed service is expensive. I've dealt with all the American names and the Indian names you write about. It's an unmanaged service but why can't 1 week go by without the vps crashing?