Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preparing to create a small ad network - Need Solid KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Preparing to create a small ad network - Need Solid KVM

Hello guys,

I'm preparing to create an ad network. I used to work with SSDnodes, they have the best performance for the money for me, however I may need too much network BW because of ad network needs and their support could not help unfortunately for flexible network resources and their excuse is completely understandable. They said that their plans have great calculations to provide good service for everyone budget prices; thats why they cant customise their plans.

My question is, do you recommend a provider with unmetered network & KVM & budget price? No new companies please... If my project will work, it means i'm going to stick for years with extending server resources.

I have approx 2 weeks to decide and then gonna purchase and get my site alive.

Thanks.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

BuyVM and Afterburst are the only two that come to mind with no bandwidth limit.

Thanked by 1jackb
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

100mbps or 1gbps? 1gbps unmetered could be an issue, I may be able to do something with 100mbps unmetered in Vancouver. What are your other required specs (disk, RAM, CPU, etc)?

• BuyVM's sweet. Get some slices!™

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Thanks. BuyVM is in my first list now.

I need at least 4GB RAM and 2 core. BuyVM does not give that CPU power for cheap prices.
    An avarage ad network can show 100K+ banners / day. I doubt 1 CPU can handle that...

Of course i'm going to upgrade if my plans will return with good responses :) But for the start, i need the cheap and good solution. Don't want to throw so much money at the beginning.

Thanks again!

• I need at least 4GB RAM and 2 core. BuyVM does not give that CPU power for cheap prices. An avarage ad network can show 100K+ banners / day. I doubt 1 CPU can handle that...

Spend money to make money, you're not running a charity.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hello,

Are the ads static content? or is there actual processing that has to happen?

Francisco

• coolindark said: I may need too much network BW because of ad network needs

coolindark said: provider with unmetered network & KVM & budget price?

coolindark said: But for the start, i need the cheap and good solution. Don't want to throw so much money at the beginning.

If its a new project how much bandwidth are you looking for on the unmetered port to start with?

• CrandolphCrandolph Member
    edited February 2018

@Francisco said:
    Hello,

Are the ads static content? or is there actual processing that has to happen?

Francisco

Yeah, this is pretty important too for all the specs you'd need.

In certain cases it might be worthwhile to use a CDN. Cheaper/faster.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Zen said: I reckon you could serve 100k/day static (especially small banners) with 2 cores and 4GB.

You're talking around a hit per second.

If it's just static content (txt/images/etc) i'm sure he could probably do a million hits a day on a single core. Sendfile really helps with that stuff.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Zen vimalware
  • How does this work even? People will pay you to host their ads?

• What verticals and tiers? I might be a buyer.

• coolindarkcoolindark Member
    edited February 2018

@Escondido said:
    What verticals and tiers? I might be a buyer.

Not yet my friend :) I will announce and if you always interest for ad network, you will definitely hear.

@quadhost said:

coolindark said: I may need too much network BW because of ad network needs

coolindark said: provider with unmetered network & KVM & budget price?

coolindark said: But for the start, i need the cheap and good solution. Don't want to throw so much money at the beginning.

If its a new project how much bandwidth are you looking for on the unmetered port to start with?

Well the best network (for me) should have at lest 200TB network / month (serves +-1500 banners/sec) . I dont think that i will need more than 20TB for first months but then if plans change i have to extend it more. 4GB RAM is my minimum limit because the server will not only run a web server behind; there will also a unique payment gateway.

• How will the project be built exactly? If its just static content being served, why not consider a CDN?

• Make it scalable. Start slow and steady, and then increase the number of vps's

• vovlervovler Member
    edited February 2018

@coolindark said:
    Thanks. BuyVM is in my first list now.

I need at least 4GB RAM and 2 core. BuyVM does not give that CPU power for cheap prices.
    An avarage ad network can show 100K+ banners / day. I doubt 1 CPU can handle that...

Of course i'm going to upgrade if my plans will return with good responses :) But for the start, i need the cheap and good solution. Don't want to throw so much money at the beginning.

Thanks again!

100K+ banners / day. Lets say the max size it's 1mb, and the average is 500kb.

Thats about 50GB a day, and about 1.5TB per month. Even if you are serving banners are 2MB (UNLIKELY), you won't need more than 5TB.

Asking for unlimited and budget won't happen, math may be scary to you, but if you want to run a business, it's a must.

You will need fast storage, making mysql queries a bit faster, and a fast CPU. I don't think bandwidth is the problem, unless you are serving auto-play video ads.

EDIT:

If I were you and wanted 'budget' I would go with @vmhaus's 2GB in London.

• NVME Storage is nice for fast mysql queries to get the ads
    • 2 cores of E3-1270v6 a high frequency CPU that will surely help
    • London location, good latency to europe and north america.

Now find out if 30GB storage and 2GB RAM is enough.

Thanked by 1coolindark
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

I'd say get more cheaper servers and do geo-load balancing. I.e. have 1 in EU and 1 in US and serve from whatever server is closest to the visitor.

Thanked by 1coolindark
  • @freerangecloud said:
    100mbps or 1gbps? 1gbps unmetered could be an issue, I may be able to do something with 100mbps unmetered in Vancouver. What are your other required specs (disk, RAM, CPU, etc)?

Hello. It can begin with 100mbps, but if the project will grow i'll definitely need 1GB. Disk can be 50GB for the start (SSD), CPU can be 2 core for the beginning again and RAM should be 4GB at least.

By the way, i'm open to discuss DDOS & Cpanel too which will make things easier to me.
    Preferred payment method is Bitcoin. Also, the host will get famous because my ad network has a great goal and i believe it will be well known in near future in global market. That's why i need a good provider. Good service will be a strong advertisement.

Thanks.

• I'll need to ask your budget before recommending provider

• @sibaper said:
    I'll need to ask your budget before recommending provider

Upto 20$ / month max.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@coolindark said:

@freerangecloud said:

Hello. It can begin with 100mbps, but if the project will grow i'll definitely need 1GB. Disk can be 50GB for the start (SSD), CPU can be 2 core for the beginning again and RAM should be 4GB at least.

By the way, i'm open to discuss DDOS & Cpanel too which will make things easier to me.
    Preferred payment method is Bitcoin. Also, the host will get famous because my ad network has a great goal and i believe it will be well known in near future in global market. That's why i need a good provider. Good service will be a strong advertisement.

Thanks.

So I can do 4GB/50GB SSD/2xCPU/100mbps/1IPv4//64 ofIPv6 on request for $18/mo. Location: Vancouver

And there is option to expand network/Ram/CPU in future if required

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

1dedicated cpu core/4gb ram/100gb nvme ssd/100mbit 18€/month

or

4cores (shared)/4gb ram/300gb sata (raid10)/100mbit 17€/month

• I have time and discussing offers...
    Also still BuyVM is cheaper offer, also a very well known provider. (No offence please)

Thank you both for sharing your valuable time.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

You can't go wrong with buyvm. he knows what he is doing and is not a shitty solusvm+holiday hoster like some others ;)

Thanked by 1Ewok
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Perhaps consider AWS. Any serious advertisers are going to place weight on your infrastructure being hosted on a reputable provider (regardless of price / quality).

A good compromise might be DigitalOcean whom I have found have started to gain traction amongst business types.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited February 2018

Why hasn't hetzner been mentioned here yet? Their new cloud line seems like a good fit, although bw is limited, the 20TB/month (counting outgoing only) should see you through for a good long time.

Edit: not sure if it's outgoing only on their cloud line. Might count incoming too there, but then again, an ad network wont burn much incoming bw.

• @coolindark said:

@sibaper said:
    I'll need to ask your budget before recommending provider

Upto 20$ / month max.

hetzner cloud, inception hosting (might ask for custom b/w), scaleway

• I second Hetzner Cloud. Really good alternative.

• @coolindark Side note: I think you should use nginx from the very beginning.

• coolindark said: Also, the host will get famous because my ad network has a great goal and i believe it will be well known in near future in global market

Uh.

• Why hasn't hetzner been mentioned here yet?

As you don't do shady shit in Germany.