Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centminmod review (free nginx panel)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centminmod review (free nginx panel)

CrandolphCrandolph Member
edited February 2018 in General

Honestly,

This review is simple. If you're looking for a free nginx + phpfpm control panel, get it.

I tested it out for the first time yesterday and spun up a Hetzner public cloud KVM. The panel works wonders, is well optimized, and seemingly secure.

Plus, it's an SSH only panel, so that adds some cool points.

(I'm using it for Wordpress with nginx, phpfpm, and redis caching.)

Comments

• Really thought Centminmod would just be another crappy panel - it turned out to be really useful, it has a ton of helpful documentation as well.

@eva2000 is also a member here.

Thanked by 2Crandolph eva2000
  • Basic server security is also baked in, nothing but good things to say about Centminmod.

If you're comfortable with the shell, this is the way to go.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • Is it still CentOS focussed or is there some Debian love in the meantime?

• @Amitz said:
    Is it still CentOS focussed or is there some Debian love in the meantime?

I personally wish their was some Ubuntu love also. But I don't think their is any love for the Debian family sadly in this project yet or ever.

• This reminds me of a question. Why does centminmod (and cpanel) only support cent os distributions - is there a specific reason?

• @hammer said:

@Amitz said:

I personally wish their was some Ubuntu love also. But I don't think their is any love for the Debian family sadly in this project yet or ever.

Aren't asking too much for something that is free and is developed in spare time?

• @vovler said:

@hammer said:

@Amitz said:

Aren't asking too much for something that is free and is developed in spare time?

Don't worry. I know this is free so can't do nothing about it.
    I just wish that all distroes had a secure pannel simular and optomized (or could be optomized).

• Also
    @everyoneElse
    wouldn't the pannel itself use alot of resources or something?

• @hammer said:
    Also
    @everyoneElse
    wouldn't the pannel itself use alot of resources or something?

No, that would be perversely counter-intuitive.

• vovler said: Aren't asking too much for something that is free and is developed in spare time?

Something that is marketed as being free shouldn't be immune to suggestions/criticism. Anyhow, there are decent alternatives to centmin for Debian/Ubuntu.

• @Voss said:

vovler said: Aren't asking too much for something that is free and is developed in spare time?

Something that is marketed as being free shouldn't be immune to suggestions/criticism. Anyhow, there are decent alternatives to centmin for Debian/Ubuntu.

VestaCP for Debian, Centminmod for CentOS. Both very good, neither are quite similar. Both have autoinstallers. One has a web panel, one has a panel via SSH.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

EasyEngine works alright for a basic web stack in Debian/Ubuntu. https://easyengine.io/

It's WP-focused, but can do standard PHP5/7 + HHVM sites with MariaDB and automatic Let's Encrypt setup: https://easyengine.io/docs/commands/site/create/

Thanked by 1Voss
  • @Harambe
    That is real sweet for quick settup. Thanks. Will try it when I am rich enough for another big lump of vps.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited February 2018

@Crandolph said:
    Honestly,

This review is simple. If you're looking for a free nginx + phpfpm control panel, get it.

I tested it out for the first time yesterday and spun up a Hetzner public cloud KVM. The panel works wonders, is well optimized, and seemingly secure.

Plus, it's an SSH only panel, so that adds some cool points.

(I'm using it for Wordpress with nginx, phpfpm, and redis caching.)

Thanks for the kind words always great to hear from Centmin Mod Users. The future is bright just nailed down compatibility for next mainline Nginx 1.13.9 release which adds HTTP/2 Server Push support finally with Cloudflare's HTTP/2 HPACK Full Encoding patch support along with just released OpenSSL 1.1.1-pre1 alpha release for TLS 1.3 support https://community.centminmod.com/threads/openssl-1-1-1-first-alpha-pre-release-1-out.13996/#post-59540

Just waiting on Nginx 1.13.9 official release as it's held back by a bug I reported regarding HTTP/2 Server Push serving uncompressed assets (missing Accept-Encoding headers on pushes) https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/1478.

As to CentOS vs Debian/Ubuntu support for Centmin Mod - official site FAQ item 12 addresses the issue https://centminmod.com/faq.html

Currently, only testing Debian for MariaDB 5.2.x Mysql tuning and optimisation and for the Debian version of my mysqlmymonlite.sh server stats gathering script. But there's a definite possibility that in future, I'll write up a Debian version once I have Centmin Mod version settled in terms of features and stability. As for a FreeBSD Nginx auto installer script, there's no plans right now. But that can change.

Basically focus is on baking more maturity and stability in the feature set for Centmin Mod before looking into other OSes. Only work on Centmin Mod in my free time so things need to be prioritized. You can see public Centmin Mod dev project dashboard at https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod/projects/1

Folks should try all alternative LEMP stacks out there and decide which is best for yourself. Though no other will have Centmin Mod features like https://centminmod.com/perf/ and I don't know of any other Nginx offering that has proper full HTTP/2 HPACK Full Encoding support that you can switch on like you can in Centmin Mod. Nginx by default only supports partial HTTP/2 HPACK Encoding :)

Thanked by 3Crandolph Aidan ljseals
  • @Voss said:

vovler said: Aren't asking too much for something that is free and is developed in spare time?

Something that is marketed as being free shouldn't be immune to suggestions/criticism.

Calm down Cathy Newman, I never said that it should be immune to criticism

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited February 2018

hammer said: I just wish that all distroes had a secure pannel simular and optomized (or could be optomized).

Well you can turn the question around too. Why aren't there any Debian/Ubuntu LEMP stack solutions with such an optimised software stack as Centmin Mod ? :)

It's not what you use (OS wise) that matters, it's how you use it. If you know Debian/Ubuntu ins and outs better then logically you can tune and optimise the LEMP stack solution better than you can on CentOS. If you know CentOS better, then you'll be able to tune and optimise it better than Debian/Ubuntu. FYI, I know CentOS better so that's what i start with so development would be faster than if i started with Debian/Ubuntu :)

Thanked by 1easy
  • Never tried it and interested in trying centmin mod on one of my idle box. I'm good at bash and bash scripting and mainly worked on cent os. Is it easy and secure to use?

• For me the biggest turn-offs for Centminmod are:

1. Everything is compiled from scratch, this takes enormous time and you can't deploy a server rapidly.

2. No WebUI at all, though hardcore admins are fine with SSH, it helps giving out basic user level administration to my client users and provide them a file manager which every cPanel user needs whatsoever.

I do admire the advanced config and optimization it provides, yet it falls a bit short on "simplicity" of use that a panel is supposed to ease you with.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited February 2018

niceboy said: Is it easy and secure to use?

Try it on an hourly vps server from digitalocean, vultr or linode https://community.centminmod.com/threads/quick-centmin-mod-install-nginx-vhost-site-mysql-database-setup.12904/

mehargags said: For me the biggest turn-offs for Centminmod are:

Everything is compiled from scratch, this takes enormous time and you can't deploy a server rapidly.

No WebUI at all, though hardcore admins are fine with SSH, it helps giving out basic user level administration to my client users and provide them a file manager which every cPanel user needs whatsoever.

I do admire the advanced config and optimization it provides, yet it falls a bit short on "simplicity" of use that a panel is supposed to ease you with.

Not everything is source compiled only Nginx, PHP-FPM, memcached server and a few PHP extensions. MariaDB 10 uses official mariadb yum repos.

Yeah unfortunately you can't get the level optimisation that Centmin Mod provides without source compilations i.e. PHP 7 Profile Guided Optimisations which I am looking to extend PGO to Nginx builds too and look into AutoFDO optimisations. But Centmin Mod uses ccache compiler caching so recompiles of same versions i.e. change nginx or php configurations for same versions is up to 60-80% faster than initial first time compiles i.e. a nginx compile first time taking 120 seconds, on 2nd recompile with ccache compiler caching will take around 35-45 seconds.

Centmin Mod install times will vary depending on server hardware specs, you can see posted times by Centmin Mod users at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/post-your-centmin-mod-123-09beta01-install-time-stats.8866/ which can range from as low as 450 seconds for initial install to usually expected averages of 650-1600 seconds.

I do however constantly test and benchmark install times to squeeze out improvements over time to speed things up.

But yes Centmin Mod isn't a client shared control panel and never was intended for such it's for own user hosted sites.