Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with NetBSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with NetBSD

Hello friends,
just looking for a VPS with NetBSD. It seems this OS isn't very well supported.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Just ask any KVM host to mount the ISO for you to install.

Thanked by 2JoseQueso mows
  • JoseQuesoJoseQueso Member
    edited February 2018

@MikeA said:

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thanked by 1mows
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

@JoseQueso said:

@MikeA said:

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I'm a professor at Harvard.

Thanked by 1mows
  • It's not the easiest to load with gPXE/iPXE, so, yeah, ask for an ISO.

Thanked by 1mows
  • @mows: For example, @LiteServer offers NetBSD ISOs. Also, NetBSD works well on Vultr (you can upload your own ISO).

Thanked by 3mows LiteServer uptime
  • lionlion Member
    edited February 2018

@angstrom said:

@LiteServer offers NetBSD ISOs.

While were at it, kudos to Liteserver regarding his large collection of ISOs and keeping them up to date.

Well kudos in general, great Provider.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2018

@lion said: While were at it, kudos to Liteserver regarding his large collection of ISOs and keeping them up to date.

Indeed, this is how providers (especially those who use SolusVM as their CP) should do things.

Thanked by 2mows LiteServer
  • Thanks all for your thoughts. This helped me :)

• @mows Also, depending on your needs you may find sdf.org useful. Main system runs NetBSD, you get a personal website at $name.sdf.org, compilers, personal mail, etc, you can check the "join" page for more info.

Also provides VPS servers at $7 a month, with NetBSD. Shit, they even have plan9 bootcamps every so often. Haven't personaly used them, though.

NetBSD 8.0_BETA (GENERIC.201712141330Z)

SDF is a NetBSD development site. We are the largest NetBSD installation in

the world. Because of this the SDF cluster serves as a testbed for future
    NetBSD releases. We are currently testing the new NetBSD-8 release and are
    working through a short list of bugs. If the SDF cluster is unavailable,
    check http://www.sdf.org for NetBSD developer status. Debugging takes time
    but is much faster with a live system.

Thank you for supporing NetBSD, a free alternative to Linux and Windows Server.

Not for the faint of heart or those not willing to learn, and it's also not run like a business. It's a non-profit, community supported, so keep that in mind. It's fine for hobbyists, educators/students, basically anything that isn't mission-critical. I wouldn't try to run your business from it, but if you just wanna dick around with NetBSD or something it's great. Plus the MA is great for storage and NextCloud, though MA runs CentOS.

Thanked by 2angstrom mows
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom @lion

Thanks! :-)

Thanked by 2angstrom Inglar
  • @im_jmz said:
    @mows Also, depending on your needs you may find sdf.org useful. Main system runs NetBSD, you get a personal website at $name.sdf.org, compilers, personal mail, etc, you can check the "join" page for more info.

Also provides VPS servers at $7 a month, with NetBSD. Shit, they even have plan9 bootcamps every so often. Haven't personaly used them, though.

NetBSD 8.0_BETA (GENERIC.201712141330Z)

SDF is a NetBSD development site. We are the largest NetBSD installation in

the world. Because of this the SDF cluster serves as a testbed for future
    NetBSD releases. We are currently testing the new NetBSD-8 release and are
    working through a short list of bugs. If the SDF cluster is unavailable,
    check http://www.sdf.org for NetBSD developer status. Debugging takes time
    but is much faster with a live system.

Thank you for supporing NetBSD, a free alternative to Linux and Windows Server.

Not for the faint of heart or those not willing to learn, and it's also not run like a business. It's a non-profit, community supported, so keep that in mind. It's fine for hobbyists, educators/students, basically anything that isn't mission-critical. I wouldn't try to run your business from it, but if you just wanna dick around with NetBSD or something it's great. Plus the MA is great for storage and NextCloud, though MA runs CentOS.

I still have an old shell account on the European version of sdf.org, which is sdfeu.org. The guy who runs sdf.org and sdfeu.org is a big fan of NetBSD. That old shell account is what originally introduced me to NetBSD, but nowadays, I prefer to run my own instance of NetBSD on a VPS, which gives me much freedom than a shell account.

Thanked by 1im_jmz
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

I could happily provide a netbsd iso and you could install it yourself from a spice console. 1GB RAM/30GB Disk/3TB transfer - $4/mo.

Thanked by 1mows
  • @im_jmz
    That's a great idea and thanks for it. Yes, atm I freak around with netbsd to figure out if it could replace my productive running linux services cuz I feel really f*ckd with the actually linux kernel. I remember had a shell on sdf yeeears ago too! :) I will have a look on that.

@freerangecloud
    Great offer. I now already have a box at Liteserver.nl, but I will have a look on your site too. Thanks!

The installation of NetBSD at Liteserver was via a CD Mount and VNC. A bit tricky if you do it the first time, but works. If providers consider to support ISOs they simply could use the basic install with a modern texteditor (i.e. nano) and "permit root login" activated in sshd_config. As a plus "pkgsrc" could be preconfigured and "pkgin" installed. :P

Thanks!

Thanked by 1im_jmz
    edited February 2018

@mows said: The installation of NetBSD at Liteserver was via a CD Mount and VNC. A bit tricky if you do it the first time, but works. If providers consider to support ISOs they simply could use the basic install with a modern texteditor (i.e. nano) and "permit root login" activated in sshd_config. As a plus "pkgsrc" could be preconfigured and "pkgin" installed. :P

But, you see, part of the fun of installing NetBSD is that one is quasi-forced to use vi for the first few configuration steps until one manages to install nano. :-)

• @angstrom said:
    But, you see, part of the fun of installing NetBSD is that one is quasi-forced to use vi for the first few configuration steps until one manages to install nano. :-)

It sounds like you'd be more comfortable using FreeBSD.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

Is FreeBSD also like NetBSD in this respect? Only vi at the beginning?

OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

• @angstrom said:

@WSS said:

@angstrom said:

Is FreeBSD also like NetBSD in this respect? Only vi at the beginning?

No, they have a much easier to use editor. It used to be 'ee'. Not sure what it is these days, because the whole install is dialog based, unless you install TrueOS, in which case it's a GUI. A clumsy, but functional GUI.

OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

..because setting up your bsd slices needs emacs?

• @angstrom said:

I wonder if they also offer edlin for maximum user friendlyness.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @mksh said:

@angstrom said:

edlin is dos. You want ed.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

But I enjoy the challenge of trying to remember vi commands after having installed NetBSD. It's a good brain exercise.

• @angstrom said:
    But I enjoy the challenge of trying to remember vi commands after having installed NetBSD. It's a good brain exercise.

You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

edited February 2018

@WSS said: [angstrom said] OpenBSD also offers mg in the base for those who don't care for vi. (For those who don't know, mg is a tiny emacs-like editor.)

..because setting up your bsd slices needs emacs?

It's more fun that way.

• @WSS said:

@mksh said:

@angstrom said:

edlin is dos. You want ed.

Yeah, maybe even that. Not sure if users are ready for it yet though.

• @WSS said: @angstrom said: But I enjoy the challenge of trying to remember vi commands after having installed NetBSD. It's a good brain exercise.

You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

But don't forget the context above: I was reacting to something that @mows said (who seemed to be lamenting the absence of nano after a fresh install).

• @WSS said: You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

vi is an acquired taste. Liking vi isn't a prerequisite for using NetBSD. But being able to use vi after a fresh install is important.

• @WSS said: No, they have a much easier to use editor. It used to be 'ee'. Not sure what it is these days,

Just checked, FreeBSD appears to still offer both ee and vi in the base:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/editors.html

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @angstrom said:

@WSS said: You use NetBSD by choice, but still consider 'vi' an issue?

vi is an acquired taste. Liking vi isn't a prerequisite for using NetBSD. But being able to use vi after a fresh install is important.

cat > whatever.

• @mksh said:

@angstrom said:

cat > whatever.

Yeah, okay, but that's a bit awkward for editing a file. I personally don't mind having to use vi for a short while. :-)

• @angstrom said:

@mksh said:

@angstrom said:

cat > whatever.

Yeah, okay, but that's a bit awkward for editing a file. I personally don't mind having to use vi for a short while. :-)

Well, if that proves to be to much of a pain i guess sed might be an option too but you are right unless someone is severly alergic to vi it's probably easiest to just endure it for a bit.

• @mksh said:

@angstrom said:

@mksh said:

@angstrom said:

cat > whatever.

Well, if that proves to be to much of a pain i guess sed might be an option too but you are right unless someone is severly alergic to vi it's probably easiest to just endure it for a bit.

All that one needs to do is to keep handy a half-page summary of frequently used commands in vi (until one manages to install nano, as I said above). :-)