Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is OVZ 7 stable enough for production yet? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is OVZ 7 stable enough for production yet?

2»

Comments

• @LosPollosHermanos said:
    It's just an rsync from one server to the other.

Well, we all know that won't work for all users. I thought you were attempting to support different distributions/et al back and forth between OVZ and KVM, and that's where it gets hairy. :)

• @Francisco said: I'm in a similar position, I don't want to waste my energy coding on OpenVZ anymore and would much rather being able to gut it out of Stallion completely.

I have a lot of really stubborn OVZ people that don't want to move though so I'm not going to force them. Many of them love the free backups we give on OVZ and don't on KVM's.

But since you still offer OpenVZ plans, it's not as though it were a discontinued product line for you, in which case it's a bit odd to speak of "really stubborn OVZ people that don't want to move".

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

@angstrom said:

@Francisco said: I'm in a similar position, I don't want to waste my energy coding on OpenVZ anymore and would much rather being able to gut it out of Stallion completely.

I have a lot of really stubborn OVZ people that don't want to move though so I'm not going to force them. Many of them love the free backups we give on OVZ and don't on KVM's.

But since you still offer OpenVZ plans, it's not as though it were a discontinued product line for you, in which case it's a bit odd to speak of "really stubborn OVZ people that don't want to move".

Some people are stubborn and refuse to let go, and will find someone else to buy the product they want in the case that you don't have it.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

@Francisco said: I'm in a similar position, I don't want to waste my energy coding on OpenVZ anymore and would much rather being able to gut it out of Stallion completely.

Some people are stubborn and refuse to let go, and will find someone else to buy the product they want in the case that you don't have it.

If so, then that is what he should say. :-)

• @angstrom said:

@WSS said:

@angstrom said:

I think he was just humblebragging, myself.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

@WSS said:

@angstrom said:

I think he was just humblebragging, myself.

I hadn't realized that they offered free backups on OpenVZ. (It seems that it's only in Las Vegas and for the 256MB+ OpenVZ plans, but still, not bad.)

• Francisco said: Many of them love the free backups we give on OVZ and don't on KVM's.

Couldn't you give a free backup on top of their KVM for those (old) customers (when they'll cancel you'll slowly have less and less backup space in use).

• edited February 2018

@datanoise said:

Francisco said: Many of them love the free backups we give on OVZ and don't on KVM's.

Couldn't you give a free backup on top of their KVM for those (old) customers (when they'll cancel you'll slowly have less and less backup space in use).

Backups are a lot bigger with KVM. Compression doesn't seem to save much because it's a block level backup (I think). That's for RAW, maybe it's different with QCOW.

With OVZ, you just backup the container folder like you would any other folder. I think vzdump is just a tar.gz backup that also includes the CTID.conf file. So more straight forward and smaller backups.

One more reason I prefer OVZ over KVM.

Thanked by 2WSS datanoise
    Here's the thing with KVM. You have to backup the whole thing. So if you have a 50GB customer the backup will be 50GB. You can compress it but that doesn't seem to save much because it's a block level backup (I think). That's for RAW, maybe it's different with QCOW.

With OVZ, you only backup what is being used and can compress all the files inside. So someone on a 50GB plan may only have a few GB to backup after compression.

One more reason I prefer OVZ over KVM.

Because filesystem level access to host is preferred to a large data blob? I'm not sure why you are so die-hard OVZ, but really, it makes my life easier, even though you think it makes yours the same.

Backups are a lot bigger with KVM. Compression doesn't seem to save much because it's a block level backup (I think). That's for RAW, maybe it's different with QCOW.

Sure QCOW will be smaller (and slower). Until i have used my disk to take a backup of /dev/urandom that is. Neither RAW or QCOW are all that great anyways unless by RAW you mean physical partitions or something backed by LVM.

Anyways as long as your costumers aren't playing with encryption or writing random shit to disk you might have some luck with one of the more exotic compression tools like LRZIP.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

angstrom said: But since you still offer OpenVZ plans, it's not as though it were a discontinued product line for you

True, but that's only 128MB's that we offer, nothing else.

I've already discussed doing a one-off RAM bump to make them 'workable' on KVM. I'd have to never offer the product again though otherwise it could cannibalize other products.

Francisco

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Francisco said:

angstrom said: But since you still offer OpenVZ plans, it's not as though it were a discontinued product line for you

I've already discussed doing a one-off RAM bump to make them 'workable' on KVM. I'd have to never offer the product again though otherwise it could cannibalize other products.

Oh, you're right: I glanced at this page earlier, https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=12 , and thought that all of the OpenVZ plans were available except for the biggest one, which explicitly says "Out of Stock". (But I didn't look further.)

Thanked by 2Francisco WSS
  • edited February 2018

@Francisco said:

Francisco

That's another advantage of containers in general. Since they do not run a kernel you save anywhere from 10-35MB of memory per container. That matters when the container is only 128MB.