Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to dump a dedicated server provider when you have to change IP addresses to do it.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to dump a dedicated server provider when you have to change IP addresses to do it.

edited February 2018 in Providers

If I was not reliant on their IP addresses I would drop them in a heartbeat.

Changing providers would mean moving a bunch of VPS servers and changing IP addresses. Besides being a hassle, especially for what we do, it tends to cause cancellations.

This is not just web hosting. So it's not just a matter of customers changing their DNS.

We don't have our own IP's and that is not likely to be an option for us until IPv6 is more widespread.

Comments

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

not sure what Kind of reply you expect. either change provider and switch ip addresses or stay. Not much more you can do

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So you know what you need to do, you're just mad you need to do it.

What exactly is your question?

And who is the provider? If I had to guess, I'd wager this isn't a well-researched, highly regarded host but rather a bottom basement cheapo provider...

• Are the ip addresses your own? Or are they owned by the provider? Best case you can buy them from the provider at an astronomical cost, worst case you're gonna have to make do without them.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

Assuming you want to switch to a host close by as making a huge move even if you could keep the IP would likely be more of an issue, maybe you can use a GRE tunnel and keep them both going while you do the migrations and give everyone notice to get switched to the new IP.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2018

The best way? Send in cancellation? I mean what more is there? Sue? Call and scream at them?

If you do sue, let us know.

• I usually first: set the DNS to a super-low TTL, and get the new reverse ready/lower (when possible) to get ready for the move, replicate the systems as a master-slave to the new location, and then do a live cut to move the DBs to the new location and a slave on the old node, then migrate the rest of the services and then propagate the DNS changes.

Thanked by 2erkin abytecurious
  • Yes. You rent the new dedi ("N") and copy your stuff from your old dedi ("O"). Then you test that everything works OK on N (just mock up the new dns entries in your local hosts file). Once you are sure it works fine you change your dns entries to point to N (and not anymore to O). Then you cancel O after another month.

Side note: While @WSS is technically perfectly right I wouldn't rely on setting TTLs low. Experience shows that plenty ISPs don't care a rats ass and cache your entries anyway however long they like.

Side note 2: I didn't touch the DB topic at all - for good reasons. Usually it's way more complicated and messy and anyway different for each server so it makes little sense to look at it in a first overview post. One thing can be said, though: You absolutely need to get and be in full control of it (see above: ttl and isps...) because if you don't you'll end up with an unholy mess. One way to go about that is to have the server application on N connect to the DB on O during setup and testing and maybe even for the first live weeks. What you are looking for is exactly 1 clear and fully controlled by you cut-off point to backup and copy the DB from O to N, activate the DB on N as the only one.

• Server bill for your Winterhost run coming up?

• LosPollosHermanos said: Best way to dump a dedicated server

"Transfer" it to Mohammed.

• @Jack said:

AnthonySmith said: maybe you can use a GRE tunnel

This, but be aware of MTU issues.

Just set the TTL.

Oh shit, I just tunneled @JoseQueso, didn't I?

Thanked by 2JoseQueso lazyt
  • JoseQuesoJoseQueso Member
    edited February 2018

@WSS said:

@Jack said:

AnthonySmith said: maybe you can use a GRE tunnel

This, but be aware of MTU issues.

Just set the TTL.

Oh shit, I just tunneled @JoseQueso, didn't I?

I use cloudflare for my GRE tunneling through BuyVM, DreamHost, and then it routes to RamNode. Thanks for the concern however, have a wonderful Sunday night. Miss you boo.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

On a side note some providers offers charged migration service.

Maybe you could ask your new provider if he can do it for you ?

• Mail them a bag of your poop, you can dump your gf the same way unless shes a psycho who would eat the poop.

• @huntercop said:
    Mail them a bag of your poop, you can dump your gf the same way unless shes a psycho who would eat the poop.

wat

• edited February 2018

@raindog308 said:

And who is the provider? If I had to guess, I'd wager this isn't a well-researched, highly regarded host but rather a bottom basement cheapo provider...

They are considered by many to be a (more) premium provider. They charge a premium price as well. The problem is that the price does not match the service.

I don't use discount providers.

• @WSS said:
    I usually first: set the DNS to a super-low TTL, and get the new reverse ready/lower (when possible) to get ready for the move, replicate the systems as a master-slave to the new location, and then do a live cut to move the DBs to the new location and a slave on the old node, then migrate the rest of the services and then propagate the DNS changes.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing something like that.

• edited February 2018

@doughmanes said:
    Server bill for your Winterhost run coming up?

That would be a no. So there are winterhosts? I thought that joke was only a summerhost thing.

• edited February 2018

@bsdguy said:
    Yes. You rent the new dedi ("N") and copy your stuff from your old dedi ("O"). Then you test that everything works OK on N (just mock up the new dns entries in your local hosts file). Once you are sure it works fine you change your dns entries to point to N (and not anymore to O). Then you cancel O after another month.

Side note: While @WSS is technically perfectly right I wouldn't rely on setting TTLs low. Experience shows that plenty ISPs don't care a rats ass and cache your entries anyway however long they like.

Side note 2: I didn't touch the DB topic at all - for good reasons. Usually it's way more complicated and messy and anyway different for each server so it makes little sense to look at it in a first overview post. One thing can be said, though: You absolutely need to get and be in full control of it (see above: ttl and isps...) because if you don't you'll end up with an unholy mess. One way to go about that is to have the server application on N connect to the DB on O during setup and testing and maybe even for the first live weeks. What you are looking for is exactly 1 clear and fully controlled by you cut-off point to backup and copy the DB from O to N, activate the DB on N as the only one.

Sounds interesting. Will have to think it through a bit.

• @WSS said:

@huntercop said:
    Mail them a bag of your poop, you can dump your gf the same way unless shes a psycho who would eat the poop.

wat

wut