Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I paying a little too much?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Am I paying a little too much?

akbakb Member
edited February 2018 in General

Hi folks.

Every year when renewal of this VPS comes up, I am haunted with the question: Should I switch? Been utilizing services of this host since 2005 and over the years the company has seen a good share of transitions and change of hands. Today its a small VPS arm of a larger online services conglomerate. These changes never affected the service for me though which remained stellar in terms of up-time & reliability. My VPS there once had over 1200 days of uptime until I rebooted it for some purpose.

Also from 2009/10 till today, the outsourced support side has remained same. I am fairly familiar with their names and designations and even though I am a tiny client of theirs I am sure that a few of the support guys might recognize me by my name now due to the long stay I have had there. I get a response to my ticket within minutes irrespective of the time of the day (except billing). Never had to contact the support much though. In early years I would mostly contact them for something that I have broken as it was OpenVZ back then. When they were doing some plan restructuring/consolidation 4 years back, on my request they generously provided me a similar spec KVM (1GB/32GB SATA/2 IP/UK at ~ $62/yr) to migrate over. I have fair-share access to 4 cores of E5620 though that is not a important factor to me as the programs I run are heavily optimized and very light on the CPU. The VPS runs a very uptime sensitive, low load website and has never disappointed me except may be when they had a couple of DC wide outages over all these years lasting for few minutes to an hour. Even then it was generally the network which had gone off while the VPS remained up.

Now one side of me tells me to just shut up, stop looking too much and keep using this VPS as it has a perfectly justified price for the problem-free service I have been getting. The other though reminds me of the likes of Aruba etc which offer almost same (plus SSD, not that it matters much to me though) for one fourth/fifth the cost. Technical advancements in VPS offerings of today like new much faster CPUs, NVMes are also a pull factor.

Would appreciate if some of you can straighten me out on this.

Thanks.

Comments

• If you're happy, don't switch.

If you're unhappy, switch.

• akb said: it has a perfectly justified price for the problem-free service I have been getting

agreed

Thanked by 1akb
  • @Aidan said:
    If you're happy, don't switch.

Thanks. I am happy but then I am also happy with my 1 euro/month Aruba VPS in UK which has been running w/o a single blip in last 3 years.

• $62/yr is too much money for what you describe. Give the company an opportunity to offer you more or get on out of there.

Thanked by 1akb
  • 1 - it's a dilemma

2 - 4 bucks

3 - there is no answer

4 - none of the above

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

In my view: never change a running system. So stay there If you are happy with there service.

62$/y is okay for what you got If the service is well.

Thanked by 2Aidan akb
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I pay slightly more than that for my production VPS but the service and support is spot on. Live migrations for works, etc.

If it does the job, and does it properly, then leave it is as is.

If it's a dev/test box you can find cheaper :)

Thanked by 1akb
  • $5 a month and 2 IPs? I don't see you getting any cheaper and still getting decent support. Sounds like you're getting outstanding support now.

Thanked by 2Aidan akb
  • scam

• i think you have a cheap price already
    dont move :)
    many cheaper host have worse service, are you ready about that?

Thanked by 1akb
  • Don't fix what isn't broke. If you're getting a service you're happy with at a price you're happy with then stick with it. You're getting what sounds like a good deal and have a proven track record with this company so why bother changing?

Thanked by 1akb
  • @quick said:
    scam

First of all hello their. That post their is the good old fashion let trolling and almost everybody does it at some point. I hope you stay with us crazy people.

I'm with team stay unless uptime is less important for you or this ain't production. In fact, some well known providers charge simularish only they come with SSD's and a bit less.

64 per year is about 5 per month and that is what well known providers like Linode, Vultr and Digital Ocean charge for nearly the same thing except it has ssd and.

Thanked by 1akb
  • @hammer said:

@quick said:
    scam

First of all hello their. That post their is the good old fashion let trolling and almost everybody does it at some point. I hope you stay with us crazy people.

I'm with team stay unless uptime is less important for you or this ain't production. In fact, some well known providers charge simularish only they come with SSD's and a bit less.

64 per year is about 5 per month and that is what well known providers like Linode, Vultr and Digital Ocean charge for nearly the same thing except it has ssd and.

dont forget he got 2 ip ^^

• @kaito_kid said:

@hammer said:

@quick said:
    scam

I wonder if they are both IPV4. If they are, then this is a nice deal. IPV is usually a dollar per month.

• @kaito_kid said:

@hammer said:

@quick said:
    scam

ipv4 is totally overrated. Scam^2

• To me, the hassle free, headache free, worry free experience is worth more to me than the few bucks a month you'd save by switching.

Thanked by 2Aidan akb
  • @lazyt said: $5 a month and 2 IPs?

@kaito_kid said: dont forget he got 2 ip

@hammer said: I wonder if they are both IPV4

2 IPv4 is just a carry forwarded spec from the times when IPv4 used to be cheap & plenty. pre-2010 almost every other provider would provide you a secondary IP for free if you asked nicely.

Thanks for all the inputs. Majority of the feedback seems to be in favor of retaining the service.

@hammer said: First of all hello their. That post their is the good old fashion let trolling and almost everybody does it at some point. I hope you stay with us crazy people.

I am a long time lurker and well aware of the craziness on the board. Thanks for the welcome anyways :-)

@IThinkUFailed said: You're getting what sounds like a good deal and have a proven track record with this company so why bother changing?

Whether the deal is good enough to retain in current times is/was the confusion actually. The popular opinion here seems to be to keep using them if the experience has been good.

@JoeMerit said: $62/yr is too much money for what you describe. Give the company an opportunity to offer you more or get on out of there.

Not gonna happen. This is already a very discounted cost in comparison to their normal prices and special offers. Frankly I don't expect them to make it any sweeter for me.

• That is not a bad deal, I mean that price is not expensive considering access to four cpu cores, ssd space, multiple ips and problem free service.
    As very well said: If it aint broken, dont fix it!

• That price is reasonable for the described service quality. I don't see any reason to switch TBH.

• @erkin said: That is not a bad deal, I mean that price is not expensive considering access to four cpu cores, ssd space, multiple ips and problem free service.

The OP mentioned that it wasn't SSD, but otherwise you're right.

Thanked by 2akb erkin
  • @akb said:

@Aidan said:
    If you're happy, don't switch.

Thanks. I am happy but then I am also happy with my 1 euro/month Aruba VPS in UK which has been running w/o a single blip in last 3 years.

If you ever need to reach customer service regarding your 1€/month Aruba, you'll see the difference.

Thanked by 2Aidan akb
  • @angstrom said: If you ever need to reach customer service regarding your 1€/month Aruba, you'll see the difference.

Cost/specifications aside, after reading all the comments I realize its worth paying for the support I get when/if I need it. Thanks.

Thanked by 1Amitz