Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS that won't do any work
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS that won't do any work

albuckalbuck Member
edited May 2013 in Help

I have had a collection of low end boxes for a few years. I understand when they are underpowered. One box took 12 hours to compile Ruby, for example. But this box has me puzzled.

Over a year ago, I loaded a Rails app from a production site to do some testing and further development, and easily moved 9GB of data onto the box, which has a 20GB disk and 1GB of memory with OpenVZ. The Rails app does work, maybe a bit slugishly. Sometimes ssh takes well over 30 seconds to get a login prompt. I decided to backup the data and release the machine, but I can't get this VPS to work long enough to do a backup.

rsync starts up fine and runs for a minute or two, and then stops/freezes. tar czf runs for a minute or two and then stops. I can restart it with "fg 1", and it runs a while longer, but it always just stops, long, long before it is complete. With top, I don't see anything putting much load on this box, but just to move forward I stopped nginx and mysqld and tried again. Here is free:

root:/data# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1048576 15564 1033012 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 15564 1033012
Swap: 0 0 0

tar czf still always stops after a minute or two, and often faster if it has just stopped. ulimit shows "unlimited". The gzip and tar processes show .1% memory use. gzip builds up to about 30 seconds of run time after being restarted 15 or twenty times.

I'm going to submit a ticket for this, but I was wondering if this is some kind of standard sleazy procedure where the provider starves the VPS for resources that happens until I notice it and complain? Or do I have a super hot VM neighbor sharing this node? Is there any kind of logging to tell what part of my system is stopping my tar process?

If I can't get this issue resolved, I don't know how I'll retrieve the data from this VPS.

Comments

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited May 2013

@albuck said: , but I was wondering if this is some kind of standard sleazy procedure where the provider starves the VPS for resources that happens until I notice it and complain? Or do I have a super hot VM neighbor sharing this node? Is there any kind of logging to tell what part of my system is stopping my tar process?

I hope not. That would be very unethical and disgusting. It could be neighbours. It could be say a failed HDD in a raid array, it could be anything. Ask them.

• 24khost24khost Member

Could be just poor I/o

• edited May 2013

It could be the neighbours or the host itself which is overselling :D
    And causing problem with i/o / disks

• Although I don't have an answer for all the OP's questions. The slow SSH login is fairly common and there is an easy workaround by disabling DNS reverse lookups

edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config to add the line:
    UseDNS no

Save the file then restart ssh

• alexalex Member

@concerto49 said: I hope not. That would be very ethical and disgusting.

You mean unethical, right?

• Sounds like it or Net related. I am Just going from a few experiences long ago But sounds like that's HW related.

• @alex said: You mean unethical, right?

Yeah, fixed. Typo.

• albuckalbuck Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll submit a ticket and let you know what turns up.

• kandosankandosan Member
    edited May 2013

sounds like that stupid OOM killer, i was trying to run handbrake cli on 128mb but process kept on getting killed. found out i needed more memory.

your probably on the same boat, your memory might be screwed or something . try adding more swap space

read more here
    http://www.gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/weblog/archives/2009-11.html#e2009-11-13T13_20_59.txt

try it out > /etc/sysctl.conf:vm.swappiness=20

• twaintwain Member

As concerto49 intimated could be a failing hdd that has yet to be dropped from the raid array

• deasoftdeasoft Member

This sounds like a memory issue - either you don't have enough or the node has a memory problem.

I have had rsync problems in the past related to memory shortage.