Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible for the Hetzner console to switch to the graphics screen?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible for the Hetzner console to switch to the graphics screen?

I have installed kde, xfce and gnome but whenever I activate the console, it shows the text console.

Can it be configured to display the graphics screen?

Pressing the Alt -> keys cycle through the consoles but the graphics one never comes up.

I am not sure whether the GUIs are starting at all. I have installed both lightdm and gdm3 but they still don't come up.

Is the GUI system properly configured, or are hetzner's consoles not meant to load in graphics mode?

Comments

• Uh, just set your (x)dm to load from your inittab, systemfuckd, or whatever, automatically?

• Might help to run xconfig from text screen as well.

• Wow I did not know this was even possible.
    Not that it would be useful to me because it's just pretty pictures and uses extra resources.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host
    edited February 2018

@rchurch said:
    Is the GUI system properly configured, or are hetzner's consoles not meant to load in graphics mode?

Cloud Console supports graphics. We have users running Windows on our VMs and using the Cloud Console, so it is probably a question of what you configured on your VM. But we do not provide support for configurations or software, just like with our "old" CX server line and our dedicated root servers. --Katie, Marketing

• rchurchrchurch Member
    edited February 2018

@Hetzner_OL said:

@rchurch said:

Cloud Console supports graphics. We have users running Windows on our VMs and using the Cloud Console, so it is probably a question of what you configured on your VM. But we do not provide support for configurations or software, just like with our "old" CX server line and our dedicated root servers. --Katie, Marketing

Do you have Debian 8 or 9 systems running graphics on the Cloud Console?

So far it is Windows systems I have seen mentioned.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

We won't offer Debian 8 because it is too near end-of-life. We offer Debian 9.3. Some ISOs are shipped with display managers already installed, and for the images you can install whatever you want within the system. One of my colleagues installed it just to check that it basically works. But we cannot guarantee how it will work. For more details, please write directly to our techs via Cloud Console. --Katie, Marketing

• I was able to get the GUI working in a new installation, but I used the template rather than do a customized install with the ISO. It seems Debian 9 can be finicky about your choices when you are installing from the ISO.