Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner already open finland?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner already open finland?

Surprising didn't get an email about this, I think.

Thanked by 3willie WebDude rkan

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Seems like an odd location to open a new DC at, latency would be worse for most there compared to DE? Some privacy laws that they prefer or are prices lower for electricity?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@MikeA said:
    Seems like an odd location to open a new DC at, latency would be worse for most there compared to DE? Some privacy laws that they prefer or are prices lower for electricity?

"The northern climate conditions, the geographically favourable location between Eastern and Western Europe, and the low electricity pricing were the most important factors in favour for Finland." (Source)

Thanked by 3MikeA mrTom Hetzner_OL
  • Nice, I see it too, though only for certain servers (EX series and maybe others, but not all). It would be cool to have a server in FI but I didn't spin one up due to not wanting another dedi, especially with a setup fee. Amusingly, shoeminers have now made the i7 auction servers more expensive than the more powerful EX line.

Since there's been no announcement, my guess is they don't consider FI to be completely up and running yet. Maybe more products are in the pipeline. It will be great if they put cloud servers there.

• Agreed I'd like Cloud offerings there.

Thanked by 2karjaj ucxo
  • @Xei said:
    Agreed I'd like Cloud offerings there.

Windows VPS servers from Hetzner in Finland would be just awesome. I'm just now totally sick'n'tired with OVH's absolutely horrible attitude towards fixing issues.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • @MasonR said:

@MikeA said:

"The northern climate conditions, the geographically favourable location between Eastern and Western Europe, and the low electricity pricing were the most important factors in favour for Finland." (Source)

Lower cost of operation, but the dedis mantain the same price. sigh

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2018

vovler said: Lower cost of operation, but the dedis mantain the same price. sigh

Lower cost of operation to ensure the dedi's stay the same price as they are in Germany. They have a ridiculously good operating model in Germany that cannot be replicated in many nearby countries to maintain current pricing. Due to several factors but certainly, one of them is power cost.

Thanked by 3Xei MikePT ucxo
  • HZ server is cheap.

• @liuxyon said:
    HZ

Who?

• @Hetzner_OL

How soon can I spin up a cloud instance here too? :-)

• hetzner finland testip:

• @lurkem said:
    hetzner finland testip:

slow for test.
    AS24940 / AS57166 350.9 / 356.2 / 406.2

• @mksh said:

@liuxyon said:
    HZ

Who?

hetzner

• @liuxyon said:

@lurkem said:
    hetzner finland testip:

slow for test.

Is this guy serious?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Lee said:

vovler said: Lower cost of operation, but the dedis mantain the same price. sigh

Lower cost of operation to ensure the dedi's stay the same price as they are in Germany. They have a ridiculously good operating model in Germany that cannot be replicated in many nearby countries to maintain current pricing. Due to several factors but certainly, one of them is power cost.

Completely agreed!

@liuxyon said:

@lurkem said:
    hetzner finland testip:

slow for test.

I don't know where you're testing from, or either what sort of connection you have, but 63 ms to Portugal (200mbps FTTH) is terrific.

• @Aidan said:

@liuxyon said:

@lurkem said:
    hetzner finland testip:

slow for test.

Is this guy serious?

https://www.ipip.net/traceroute.php

• via ntt route so slow.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited February 2018

Lots of transit still goes through Germany, Cogentco, Telia, GTT etc.
    Wonder if they will be improving routing and getting transit in Finland as well or just back-haul.

Some traffic goes direct though from Sweden to Finland if they are on the IX, like Netnod or STHIX.

Thanked by 1WebDude
  • WebDudeWebDude Member
    edited February 2018

This is one of the most ridiculous tromboning routings I've ever seen.

Helsinki, Stockhomn, Frankfurt, Helsinki. Seriously WTF? 30+ ms from Helsinki.

Only operator having more ridiculous routings is OVH. Like Helsinki, New York, Miami, Lisbon, Paris. Yes, I've got traceroutes... And 200+ ms ping.

Pings to some other providers I'm using, like https://UpCloud.com are well under 1 ms.

• LMAO

FI isn't even released as a location an people complain about the bad routes?

Classic LET

• @lion said:
    LMAO

Classic LET

C-Lion1 submarine cable isn't complete ready http://www.hermanit.fi/the-arctic-connect-project/

btw. hetzner payed 10 millions alone for this connection

Thanked by 2pike Xei
  • tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited February 2018

@lurkem said:

C-Lion1 submarine cable isn't complete ready http://www.hermanit.fi/the-arctic-connect-project/

btw. hetzner payed 10 millions alone for this connection

Actually, from the very same page that you linked: "Cinia has already planned and completed the fast and cyber secure C-Lion1 submarine cable connection between Finland and Germany."

If you look at a traceroute to 95.216.3.177, you will see that the hop between core5.fra and core32.hel1 is around 19-20ms which is around the 19.4ms which is advertised for the direct link. So I'd say that it's always completed and up and running.

My guess would be that it makes sense to get transit from at least Telia since they have a lot of capacity in Finland since they already have Telia as a transit provider in Germany.

Thanked by 4Hetzner_OL pike Xei rkan
  • @tomle said:

Actually, from the very same page that you linked: "Cinia has already planned and completed the fast and cyber secure C-Lion1 submarine cable connection between Finland and Germany."

If you look at a traceroute to 95.216.3.177, you will see that the hop between core5.fra and core32.hel1 is around 19-20ms which is around the 19.4ms which is advertised for the direct link. So I'd say that it's always completed and up and running.

My guess would be that it makes sense to get transit from at least Telia since they have a lot of capacity in Finland since they already have Telia as a transit provider in Germany.

the connetion to germany is completed. but the connection to russia and norway isn't.

"“When completed, the trans-Arctic data cable connection will make the periphery the new core. Kirkenes, Norway would become the new Marseille – a landing area for data traffic – meaning that both Lapland and Kainuu would be the closest ways to access international markets,” explains Juha Seppälä, Managing Director of Rovaniemi Development Ltd."

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

They opened this DC in Finland for Russia and Scandinavian countries.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2018

@lion said:
    LMAO

Classic LET

Given you can order and receive servers in Finland then I would consider it open enough to complain about bad routes, no?

• The building progress started on 15.12.2016.
    They bought 150 000m² of buildable area and the first building is 4000m²
    They'll build 8 data centers in total (one per year) (They started building the second data center on ~08.17)

The network seems fine. (As Finnish I'd expect that)

Thanked by 2karjaj Hetzner_OL
  • Lee said: receive servers in Finland

Can you?!

• pahapoika said: They bought 150 000m² of buildable area

I'm not cutting the grass.

Thanked by 2ehab Wolveix
  • @Aidan said:
    I'm not cutting the grass.

its not the grass you should worry about it's pushing the snow.... r u ready?

This discussion has been closed.