Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Object Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Object Storage

Any Good Object Storage (s3 compatible) to recommend?
I have tried Digital Ocean. The only down side is they have minimal charge every month.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

B2 is great

• @jarland said:
    B2 is great

Do you know where is their datacenter?

• B2 is intriguing. But they are not S3 compatible

• Just in case, a VPS running Minio it's something S3 compatible.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/storage/object-storage/

This is LET and no one mentioned OVH's "lol its basically free" object storage?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Marionette said:
    https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/storage/object-storage/

It isn't though, the pricing isn't great.

$11/month per 1TB of traffic, never mind storage cost.

Francisco

• @imok said:
    Just in case, a VPS running Minio it's something S3 compatible.

Another shoutout for Minio. Nifty little S3 compatible software.

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • @Francisco said:

@Marionette said:

Francisco

And yes, there is traffic charge for bandwidth within same datacenter.

• @Francisco said:

@Marionette said:

Francisco

DO Spaces is $10/TB and $20/TB for storage. For object storage, OVH and DO are "basically free" particularly if you put them behind Cloudflare or BunnyCDN. You can't really put that together with similar quality and similar pricing on your own without some serious scale that is beyond LET's price range.

I run a ton of static marketing sites out of OVH and for my time commitment is pretty cost effective. YMMV.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited February 2018

@Marionette said:

They are open stack. I moved here from S3, and significantly decreased my bills. Yep, I had to rewrite code from S3 to OpenStack.

Overall, I'd say AWS S3 is better, faster, and has more features, tools. OVH is cheap, but lack of tools, and UI sucks.

I'm waiting for DO availability in Germany, will migrate.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have not used it but DreamHost offers S3-compatible storage.

And of course, how can we forget...

https://www.delimiter.com/objspace-object-storage/

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Also note, OVH like every OpenStack, does not support Versioning. For example, you store backups in S3 and set versioning for 1 month. And S3 will automatically delete older archives. Very useful, unfortunately, OVH does not support it.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

I think OVH object storage is also S3-compatible. Openstack Swift supports S3 protocol.

• @FHR said:

@raindog308 said:

I think OVH object storage is also S3-compatible. Openstack Swift supports S3 protocol.

Not by default and OVH doesn't anymore, they used to though as far as I know.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

Indeed, OpenStack Swift has S3-compatible API, though it probably can be disabled.

Just curious to understand what the scenarios and needs of all of you who are using object storage:

• are you storing small or large files?
    • long term or short term?
    • what kind of files do you store?
    • private or public?
    • write/read speed does matter or you prefer lower cost? (SSD vs. SATA)?
    • why do you prefer an object storage instead of other storage methods?

• @intovps said:
    Indeed, OpenStack Swift has S3-compatible API, though it probably can be disabled.

Just curious to understand what the scenarios and needs of all of you who are using object storage:

• are you storing small or large files?

Both.

• long term or short term?

Long term usage. Most stuff gets updated 1-2 times a year.

• what kind of files do you store?

Static sites + assets with a CDN in front of it.

• private or public?

Public. If it was private, I'd be using a $5/TB dacentec server or whatever.

• write/read speed does matter or you prefer lower cost? (SSD vs. SATA)?

You'd need to match DO Spaces and OVH Object storage performance. Or don't bother.

• why do you prefer an object storage instead of other storage methods?

Hosting 91239023409234293042309 static sites on it requires no system administration time.

Thanked by 1intovps
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Marionette said:
    Hosting 91239023409234293042309 static sites on it requires no system administration time.

Exactly. No administration overhead at all, just upload the files and you can be assured that they won't go anywhere and will still be accessible after x amount of time.

Thanked by 2intovps Marionette
  • Marionette said: You'd need to match DO Spaces and OVH Object storage performance. Or don't bother.

If it's static data, that's the cdn's job.

• MarionetteMarionette Member
    edited February 2018

@willie said:

Marionette said: You'd need to match DO Spaces and OVH Object storage performance. Or don't bother.

Please find me a CDN that caches rarely viewed content for 90+ days and charges $.02 or less per GB.

Or, y'know, you can accept not everyone is going to pay for a CDN on top of the object store.

• @Marionette said:
    Please find me a CDN that caches rarely viewed content for 90+ days and charges $.02 or less per GB.

Archive.org.

• This thread reminds me to get off my butt and finish my high-availabilty minio project on 2x$20 online.net specials with a failover ip.

• Marionette said:

If it hasn't been viewed in 90 days no one will care if takes an extra 100 msec for the first view.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @WSS said:
    Archive.org.

Do you understand the meaning of CDN? Archive is blocked in every fifth country.

• @trnj said:

@WSS said:
    Archive.org.

Do you understand the meaning of CDN? Archive is blocked in every fifth country.

I'm pretty sure that was a troll post.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@vimalware said:
    This thread reminds me to get off my butt and finish my high-availabilty minio project on 2x$20 online.net specials with a failover ip.

This actually seems like the most fun project in relation to object storage. I've been wanting to do it too, just to do it. Minio is kind of great in that it leaves the reliability to you, and provides one hell of an object store on top of it.

• @willie said:

Marionette said:

If it hasn't been viewed in 90 days no one will care if takes an extra 100 msec for the first view.

And if the origin server is down because you forgot to maintain it or check if it was up? :P I'm that lazy.

jarland said: This actually seems like the most fun project in relation to object storage. I've been wanting to do it too, just to do it. Minio is kind of great in that it leaves the reliability to you, and provides one hell of an object store on top of it.

Minio is great, I just can never come up with a cheaper setup than OVH / DO Spaces with it and acceptable performance.

• @Marionette said:

@willie said:

Marionette said: You'd need to match DO Spaces and OVH Object storage performance. Or don't bother.

Or, y'know, you can accept not everyone is going to pay for a CDN on top of the object store.

BunnyCDN.

Max cache is 1 year, you can set it in the control panel.

1c/GB for premium, or 0.5c/GB for volume tier (fewer POPs).

Not object storage, but I've got that set up in front of OVH storage and it works beautifully

• @lukehebb said:

@Marionette said:

@willie said:

BunnyCDN.

Max cache is 1 year, you can set it in the control panel.

1c/GB for premium, or 0.5c/GB for volume tier (fewer POPs).

Not object storage, but I've got that set up in front of OVH storage and it works beautifully

Humor me and try to actually do that then don't view the file for 90 days. I've not seen something go unviewed and stay on BunnyCDN longer than 30 days to be 100% honest.

But yes, I use BunnyCDN and Cloudflare to do the same thing. :p

• @Marionette said:
    Humor me and try to actually do that then don't view the file for 90 days. I've not seen something go unviewed and stay on BunnyCDN longer than 30 days to be 100% honest.

But yes, I use BunnyCDN and Cloudflare to do the same thing. :p

If it hasn't been needed in 3 months, why shouldn't it be relegated to "lukewarm" storage?

• WSS said: If it hasn't been needed in 3 months, why shouldn't it be relegated to "lukewarm" storage?

That is what the object storage is for. Lol.

Thanked by 1WSS