Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk Selling Rules (Updated April 2023) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk Selling Rules (Updated April 2023)

Comments

• @WSS said:

@Nekki said:

@WSS said:
    I still don't see how this works for, say, contract coders, admins, et al..

Is it supposed to?

Beats me, but Anthony said there were changes underway to answer my pretend-complaint. See also @Ympker's statement.

You might've mis-interpreted the reply you got. Basically, if someone from OVH registers here, they can get a "provider employee" kind of tag (is the plan). No real plans for anyone not in the hosting industry for now afaik.

Thanked by 1danielyi
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@teamacc said:
    You might've mis-interpreted the reply you got. Basically, if someone from OVH registers here, they can get a "provider employee" kind of tag (is the plan). No real plans for anyone not in the hosting industry for now afaik.

So, basically, anyone who has a Provider tag now is grandfathered in, then?

I'm reading your statement as somewhat the opposite of Anthonys', where I see yours as "Hosts/Resellers only", whereas software developers, et al have had them in the past.

I'm not trying to be a dick, because on the whole- I don't really care. I just don't quite follow..

E: I understand the "Works For" tag. My question isn't regarding that. :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

Ympker said: @AnthonySmith Any response for my concern (see above)?

It is not a rule I introduced, not sure when it was I will have a chat with the rest of the staff and PM you, no immediate cause for concern.

Unless someone changed my initial rules (or I did and forgot), the shared hosting offer rules were basically cut and paste from a google forms survey (which I can no longer locate for some reason) in which I let LET choose the rules.

Thanked by 2Ympker coreflux
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

In simple terms, the rules to get a provider tag have not actually changed, except a few more posts and time registered.

The new tag is available for people representing hosts as described in the rules, the only real difference is that they cannot post offers, that is reserved for the primary provider, there can be more than 1 provider tag for hosting companies though that is fine.

The host rep is for sales/general support staff and probably makes sense for contractors as well.

In terms of people only providing shared hosting, that is an anomaly, no plans to remove those that are already active and in that situation, but new hosts doing shared only probably won't get a tag.

Thanked by 4WSS MasonR jar Ympker
    edited January 2018

jarland said: Unless someone changed my initial rules (or I did and forgot), the shared hosting offer rules were basically cut and paste from a google forms survey (which I can no longer locate for some reason) in which I let LET choose the rules.

All I did was copy paste and edit in the few changes, I did not remove anything that would have covered that (shared hosting), personally I don't see a big deal with having shared only hosts but the general consensus was not if they don't provide VPS's as well, I looked back over some tickets on the help desk, seems a few have been rejected long before I took over.

May just be something that was never set in stone and was on a case by case.

edit: Generally I don't see an issue with case by case, if someone is providing something of value to the community, then it would be silly to just have an arbitrary block on that.

Thanked by 3jar Ympker SwordfishBE
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited January 2018

FAT32 said: Just to be fair, shared hosting rule doesn't exist prior to 14 Jan 2018

Yes, my initial interpretation of it was that it was fine to be a shared only host as long as you had a longer track record, others was that it was for people that already had a provider tag and by extension must have already been offering VPS products and I yielded to that.

I cant say it is a rule that has ever impacted me 1 way or the other, we will have a chat and fix it so it is clear, the goal was never to marginalize current shared only providers, we probably just did not consider it enough.

• WSSWSS Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    The host rep is for sales/general support staff and probably makes sense for contractors as well.

How will this work, then? It seems like quite a bit of overhead not only to obtain, but to possibly keep any notice of- contracts expire and how is the LET staff to know when someone no longer represents a company? The "Affiliated With / Represents / Works For" tag seems like more trouble than it's worth to implement.

edited January 2018

overhead for who?

Let's say I employ you as a contractor, I want you to field sales and general queries, I put in a ticket and ask for you to get a rep tag and you update your signature accordingly.

It is 3 - 4 minutes of work max, if you stop working for me, I apply to get it removed, no big deal.

If the host in question does not bother to update us, then that is on them.

The process is simple and already implemented, again if it turns out to be a negative impact we will just revert it, no big deal.

I have never been someone that does not try or test things because of what might happen (with a degree of common sense applied).

Thanked by 1WSS
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

WSS said: How will this work, then? It seems like quite a bit of overhead not only to obtain, but to possibly keep any notice of- contracts expire and how is the LET staff to know when someone no longer represents a company?

I mean it's nothing new. People have been asking for the provider tag for their other employees for a long time, and most of us have granted it when they asked. It was always up to them to request any future changes, unless something happened to catch our eye while browsing a thread that we thought might need to be changed.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

It would also be good to have a dedicated server category to make it easier to find those specific deals instead of trawling through VPS offers.

• @Lee said:
    It would also be good to have a dedicated server category to make it easier to find those specific deals instead of trawling through VPS offers.

This is cool but I think there needs to be a clear understanding of how active the category is going to be in terms of providers before implementing, otherwise it may just turn into a category that only has two or three companies posting and clogging it up. I assume this is where the new Dedi price point rule comes into affect though, to draw some others in.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    Let's say I employ you as a contractor, I want you to field sales and general queries, I put in a ticket and ask for you to get a rep tag and you update your signature accordingly.

@jarland said:
    I mean it's nothing new. People have been asking for the provider tag for their other employees for a long time, and most of us have granted it when they asked. It was always up to them to request any future changes, unless something happened to catch our eye while browsing a thread that we thought might need to be changed.

Ok. This makes sense. I was still under the idea that people could apply for their own tag and the Provider would ACK/NAK. But if you're self employed, and are B2B, rather than B2C, it doesn't apply.. as I'm reading it?

Again, not trying to be intentionally obtuse, just making sure.

@Lee said:

I like this, but at the same time, yeah. If we still had our $49/mo limit, it'd be nothing but CC resellers and sometimes Gordon.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

WSS said: Ok. This makes sense. I was still under the idea that people could apply for their own tag and the Provider would ACK/NAK. But if you're self employed, and are B2B, rather than B2C, it doesn't apply.. as I'm reading it?

Yup, I probably should have written more clarity around it but I also wanted to edit as little as possible.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • LeeLee Veteran

WSS said: I like this, but at the same time, yeah. If we still had our $49/mo limit, it'd be nothing but CC resellers and sometimes Gordon.

Perhaps, as it is right now I have no idea what dedicated offers there have been in the last couple of months. At least a separate section would make it clearer.

• WSSWSS Member

@Lee said:

WSS said: I like this, but at the same time, yeah. If we still had our $49/mo limit, it'd be nothing but CC resellers and sometimes Gordon.

Perhaps, as it is right now I have no idea what dedicated offers there have been in the last couple of months. At least a separate section would make it clearer.

They've been pretty much tSoS; but with these raised limits, I'm interested to see just who might be interested in coming to LET to make offers. It'd be nice to have some fresh blood and more transits!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

It certainly opens the field, time will tell if it attracts providers. I mean there are still providers who fit into the old pricing that post offers on VPSB despite it clearly being a dead forum, but that is better to some than coming here, LET is associated too much to abuse hence they don't want the association.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

@WSS said:

@Lee said:

They've been pretty much tSoS; but with these raised limits, I'm interested to see just who might be interested in coming to LET to make offers. It'd be nice to have some fresh blood and more transits!

I could make an E3 offer for a change more often rather than just waiting for an I3 to become available to make one (which was like over half a year ago as per my sig). Plenty of transits here if that’s what you’re after ;-)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Clouvider said:
    I could make an E3 offer for a change more often rather than just waiting for an I3 to become available to make one (which was like over half a year ago as per my sig). Plenty of transits here if that’s what you’re after ;-)

I'd ask for a @Nekki special, but I'm afraid you'd give me something I couldn't afford to not have. :D

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • MadMad Member
    edited February 2018

Dedicated must not exceed USD$84/month recurring on monthly billing, with no setup fee. (price change is on a 3 month trial, user feedback will be taken in April)

According to me it makes no sense.

These are not "LowEnd.." offers anymore and most of the providers would fit in it.

The ideal one should be USD$59-69/month

• The dedi increase caught me off guard. Saw Jack's offer and thought surely he wouldn't be breaking the rules, went seeking to confirm amount and found it had changed :)

I see now issue trying it, just curious how $84 was picked. (49-1 answer reversed?)

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@tarasis said: just curious how $84 was picked. (49-1 answer reversed?)

↓ ↓ ↓

AnthonySmith said: in case anyone wondered about the new dedi price on trial, it was just an arbitrary $7*12 as there are no metrics to see what would work, so it may stay, it may be altered it may be completely reverted.

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • Thank'yee kindly @MasonR while I read the rules I didn't read the whole thread.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • Thanks for updating the price! Not sure if it's just me missing it, but there's no price limit for the shared hosting services, maybe that should be set as well?

Thanked by 1PrivacyInfinity
  • @Edmond said:
    Thanks for updating the price! Not sure if it's just me missing it, but there's no price limit for the shared hosting services, maybe that should be set as well?

Says it a few bullet points down on shared

Price rules are the same as VPS however even yearly offers must be recurring.

• Talk about lowering the bar..

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:

6 months ago, I’d have agreed with you.

3 months ago I bought a server for roughly $96/month because it was such a cracking deal.

Plenty of folks paid in excess of $49 for those lovely Hetzner deals last year.

Maybe we should give it a try, and see how it works?

@Cloudvider

Hmm, fair enough.

@huntercop said:
    Talk about lowering the bar..

Feel free to talk about it, in fully formed sentences would be best.

Thanked by 4Aidan MasonR jar tarasis
  • nice about limit rise in dedi , now the providers can offer something more strong in this budget. a big ++++ for the ideea.

• This only means they can offer it, if you don't want it don't buy it. Vote with your dollars, at some point they will get the message.

Thanked by 1MikePT