Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad experience with Alpharack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bad experience with Alpharack

pitungpitung Member
edited January 2018 in Reviews

Am currently having a very bad experience with Alpharack, they have really ruined my business down.
how is it possible like this. my blog can not be accessed, database connection error.
I try to check mysql database, but can not enter the database. i try to check memory usage... 100% memory usage, I can't believed, all my blog down but the memory usage can be 100%, 3 times I send the ticket but no answer until 4 hours,
a very disappointing experience at alpharack for me.
do not use alpharack for your efforts

Comments

• That's unfortunate.

• No way! That can't be possible!

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • You are aware this is like the 10th thread about "bad experience with alpharacks" right? If you've really been a member since 2015, you should've at least seen 3 threads come by about it.

Which makes me think: why did you buy it in the first place?

Thanked by 2hostdare FHR
  • Tell me something new. :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@teamacc said:
    You are aware this is like the 10th thread about "bad experience with alpharacks" right? If you've really been a member since 2015, you should've at least seen 3 threads come by about it.

Which makes me think: why did you buy it in the first place?

Not like it matters who they buy from:

pitung said: database connection error

+

pitung said: 100% memory usage

+

pitung said: do not use alpharack for your efforts

=

Should be purchasing managed hosting. This is precisely the first lesson everyone learns when they run a CMS on their own cheap server, and immediately blaming the host implies no intent to learn the lesson.

Asking for advice on how to resolve this issue would be a better choice @pitung. This is something you need to be taking care of rather than waiting for them to tell you that.

Thanked by 2Aidan PUSHR_Victor
  • WHTWHT Member

$6 year for 300gb can not go good.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • pitungpitung Member
    edited January 2018

something is wrong with alpharack, besides in alpharack I also rent server in virmach, digital ocean, vultr, FTPit and so far there is no problem

• Pay low, get low.

• pitungpitung Member
    edited January 2018

@Rayhan said:
    Pay low, get low.

could be like that
    hard to believe, all blogs down but 100% memory usage

@pitung said:
    something is wrong with alpharack, besides in alpharack I also rent server in virmach, digital ocean, vultr, FTPit and so far there is no problem

I bought three cars and only wrecked one. Is that proof that the third is defective?

Your software is using your memory, from the sound of it. Highly unlikely that it's the provider when you're facing the single most common problem that people first learn about when they manage their own server. A quick Google search will reveal an incredible wealth of people experiencing the same on every single provider.

When you're willing to manage your own server, ask us for advice about how to deal with running out of memory.

• pitungpitung Member
    edited January 2018

I tried to access the server using bitvise console,
    I do the command

apt-get update

it takes 5 minutes to complete the update
    I just use nginx and easyengine autoinstaller with ubuntu 14.xx LTS

@pitung said:

I tried to access the server using bitvise console,
    I do the command

apt-get update

it takes 5 minutes to complete the update
    I just use nginx and easyengine autoinstaller with ubuntu 14.xx LTS

If you're out of memory why are you trying to run that?

Try rebooting first as it's the easiest way to clear out processes and reset their memory usage.

• RoxanneRoxanne Member
    edited January 2018

@pitung Alpharacks = terrible provider. :P

No need to explain... most of us know this. XD

edited January 2018

@Roxanne said:
    @pitung Most of us know that alpharacks = terrible provider. :P

No need to explain... we know. XD

How likely would you say this issues is to be caused by the provider?

Bad or not, you should address problems for what they are, not explain them away with high level explanations that don't even address the problem.

• Same here! poor management, have had asked for blacklist removal and the ip is yet to be clean (the ip initially assigned was blacklisted and asked the provider to change the ip again, however, the newly assigned ip is blacklisted as well). Can we have poll same as the best provider? but here it should be the worst provider of year XXXX.

@crpatel said:
    Same here! poor management, have had asked for blacklist removal and the ip is yet to be clean (the ip initially assigned was blacklisted and asked the provider to change the ip again, however, the newly assigned ip is blacklisted as well). Can we have poll same as the best provider? but here it should be the worst provider of year XXXX.

Which blacklist?

• @jarland, baracudda spam.

Thanked by 1jar

@crpatel said:
    @jarland, baracudda spam.

That sucks, just important enough to matter but not the worst. They're usually good about removal though, unless there's a strong recurring trend.

• after I post here, it seems there is a response from alpharack, my memory usage to 50% but I have been disappointed with alpharack, because all my blog database become error and can not access.
    i am waiting for my ticket reply from alpharack, but no answer yet

• Yep. the matter is not that much important since for 7 bucks yearly deal. just moved to virmach for emails and staying with alpharacks for the frontend.

• previously my memory is not up to 70% and all my blogs can be accessed, until I delete some blogs, but suddenly I check with the command free -m
    free memory has become 0.
    I have 2 accounts in alpharack, and the same thing happened to another server a few days ago
    I'm sure this is not a problem with wordpress that I use, because the age of all blogs 2 months since I woke up, and the highest visitor 500 / day.

while in virmach visitor up to 1k / day, there is no problem, the specifications I use the same as the alpharack server
    now I'm waiting for an answer from the alpharack team

edited January 2018

Visitors per day is not a valid metric for memory usage. When your are at 100% memory usage and able to run commands, what processes are using the memory? This may help you get the answer:

https://www.tecmint.com/find-linux-processes-memory-ram-cpu-usage/

• @pitung said:

previously my memory is not up to 70% and all my blogs can be accessed, until I delete some blogs, but suddenly I check with the command free -m
    I have 2 accounts in alpharack, and the same thing happened to another server a few days ago
    I'm sure this is not a problem with wordpress that I use, because the age of all blogs 2 months since I woke up, and the highest visitor 500 / day.

while in virmach visitor up to 1k / day, there is no problem, the specifications I use the same as the alpharack server

If you cant manage your own VPS, get shared hosting or a managed vps hosting. If you got hacked or something your CPU usage should also be high.

• @vovler said:

@pitung said:

previously my memory is not up to 70% and all my blogs can be accessed, until I delete some blogs, but suddenly I check with the command free -m

If you cant manage your own VPS, get shared hosting or a managed vps hosting. If you got hacked or something your CPU usage should also be high.

I have more than 4 years managing various servers, kvm, OpenVZ in various service providers.
    but only once experienced like this.
    which is hard to believe for server updates in alpharack took 5 minutes

edited January 2018

@pitung said:

@vovler said:

@pitung said:

I have more than 4 years managing various servers, kvm, OpenVZ in various service providers.

Four years system administration experience and you don't know how to troubleshoot an OOM server without immediately ticketing the host and citing traffic volume as a metric for what memory usage should be?

I was trying to be helpful instead of insulting, as insulting is so much more common in LET these days, but you are blindingly ignorant and display a clear preference for remaining so. No one deserves to be called out for that if they're trying to or willing to learn, but you're clearly not interested in learning anything. You should stop hosting your own stuff. I'm not even trying to be rude, just offering my last bit of advice.

Whether or not the host sucks, they definitely don't deserve this review.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ Janevski
  • @jarland said:

@pitung said:

@vovler said:

@pitung said:

Four years system administration experience and you don't know how to troubleshoot an OOM server without immediately ticketing the host and citing traffic volume as a metric for what memory usage should be?

I was trying to be helpful instead of insulting, as insulting is so much more common in LET these days, but you are blindingly ignorant and display a clear preference for remaining so. No one deserves to be called out for that if they're trying to or willing to learn, but you're clearly not interested in learning anything. You should stop hosting your own stuff. I'm not even trying to be rude, just offering my last bit of advice.

Whether or not the host sucks, they definitely don't deserve this review.

now I'm just waiting for an answer from the alpharack team, what's the matter with their services

Thanked by 1jar

Exactly :)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

AlphaRack's shared platform sucks, their VPS are not that terrible though. Occasional reboot here and there, but a pretty good performance overall and they're extremely cheap.

Blaming own (customer) error on a provider is pretty dumb though, and it doesn't matter if you use Treudler or AWS.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

Whats top or htop showing?

What's eating all the ram?

Is this a kvm or openvz?

If kvm have you tried adding swap?

Have you tried doing a hard drive (IO) speedtest or a wget of a catchfly test file?

wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test

I'm with @jarland on this more info is needed. With that said I have experience with alpharacks and they are bit more utilized than must especially on the bandwidth. However i found their support and billing to be very responsive.

I would note that it seeing mining exploits related to WordPress has gotten much more rampid recently. You have to be very careful with your WordPress installs. So you have at least IP fail block on the WP-Admin login area? Have you checked logs to make sure WP is also healthy?

What happens if you just shut down apache or nginx?

Thanked by 1jar