Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a pocket router you can recommend?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a pocket router you can recommend?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2018 in General

So a really non-techy family member who does not want to deal with setting up a hotspot on phone wants a portable router where they can plug in their data SIM, it creates a wifi hotspot for all their devices and connect to it easily when on the go.
Any recommendations in that regard?

Thanked by 1thorer01

Comments

• Huawei make most of the ones in the UK. The phone networks tend to rebrand them and cripple them a little bit. I had one in my car for a bit before I got unlimited data :)

• @michaels said:
    Huawei make most of the ones in the UK. The phone networks tend to rebrand them and cripple them a little bit. I had one in my car for a bit before I got unlimited data :)

Should be able to take it in a Cafe/Park/wherever too ;)

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@michaels said:
    Huawei make most of the ones in the UK. The phone networks tend to rebrand them and cripple them a little bit. I had one in my car for a bit before I got unlimited data :)

Who have you got 'unlimited data' from, apart from Three's all you can eat (30gb tethering (assuming you don't use a workaround))?

• I use a Mikrotik mAP with a USB dongle for this. Works off USB or a wide range of DC input voltages and its an actual router that does actual useful stuff, rather than the horrible consumer mobile APs that are mostly broken...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @SpartanHost said:

@michaels said:

Who have you got 'unlimited data' from, apart from Three's all you can eat (30gb tethering (assuming you don't use a workaround))?

I get 10 GB highspeed LTE data and after it's been consumed unlimited data (throttled to 1 mbit/s which is more than fair for phones).

Thanked by 1Tumbleguy1
  • SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@SpartanHost said:

@michaels said:

I get 10 GB highspeed LTE data and after it's been consumed unlimited data (throttled to 1 mbit/s which is more than fair for phones).

Ah I see, I'm aware of those kind of 'unlimited' plans.

• @SpartanHost said:

@Ympker said:

@SpartanHost said:

@michaels said:

Ah I see, I'm aware of those kind of 'unlimited' plans.

Well usual throttle in Germany is to 32 kbit/s so 1 mbit/s is really "high speed". And for youtube 720p and browsing it just works fine. FB etc, too. Cant complain.

Telekom offers trully unlimited highspeed LTE for 300€/month. I rather pay 25€/mo with my plan.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have 3 or 4 spares, I can post you one if you want?

I bought a bunch of them for a project ages ago.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    I have 3 or 4 spares, I can post you one if you want?

I bought a bunch of them for a project ages ago.

Freebies? If yes, I will gladly accept :) Although one would be enough. Perhaps you can send me the details of the three via PM or just give me the one you need the least.

• Yeah I am on three unlimited for my mobile, no but 30Gb was enough in my car and for camping.

• I can suggest AC750 Wireless Travel Router by TP Link for one that works with 4G modems as well as containing WISP, which has come in handy when I have to pay per device to access networks. Have used it on a cruise ship network registering only one device. It is a consumer type product, but does contain a lot of features and works well. Had to use it as a temporary router for a shared household and it held up like a champ!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Quite like the EE Osprey devices, they're practical and have 12-24? hours of battery or usb-plugged in for power, accept data sim and simple to setup. Use these at work and they're fantastic for connecting devices of anyone from a 3rd party in meetings etc. Not too expensive either, I believe they can also be unlocked?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

TP-Link M5350 Premium.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ympker said: Freebies? If yes, I will gladly accept :) Although one would be enough. Perhaps you can send me the details of the three via PM or just give me the one you need the least.

I will dig them out tomorrow, they are nothing special, but they all work fine.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Ympker said: Freebies? If yes, I will gladly accept :) Although one would be enough. Perhaps you can send me the details of the three via PM or just give me the one you need the least.

I will dig them out tomorrow, they are nothing special, but they all work fine.

Sure thing! Im worn out today anyway so no need to hurry and look for them today :P

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

Those mobile hotspots are all basically carrier specific. You can get them used on ebay cheaply but then you gotta get service for hotspots from the carriers.

Now for something you might like for yourself.

I Have had this for sometime now and it has exceeded my expectations for $24. Definitely worth much more.

https://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmate-ht-tm01-wireless-router.html

It can charge my phone 1.5 times over and does wireless bridging plus network router. Additionally it'll create a private network from a public wifi which is pretty handy. I used it once to extend the range of free WiFi from the lobby to a hotel room outside on the balcony. Left it out all night battery was still running next day. Amazing for price and size.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

How about a router they can connect to their phone via USB? I really dig my MT-300a, but it only does USB tethering; it doesn't have a place for a GSM SIM.

Take a look at GL-Inets' offers. I know a couple of them are self-contained with wireless. They're all OpenWRT/LEDE based, and they share the code.

Their default build has a custom non-LuCI interface that even the simplest fucktard can figure out.. and you can drop OpenVPN .ovpn files on it and blam, it's setup.

I don't go anywhere without my MT-300A. It's got an SD-Card slot in it so I've got 32GB for private encrypted docs/support software/etc..

Thanked by 2Ympker lsd
  • WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:
    @WSS
    lol

I remember back in the early 90s where the colo/transit company I worked for branded an NE2K compatible card to sell networking along with the frame/T1s.

It wasn't so cringeworthly back then.

• WSSWSS Member

@carcosa

does not want to deal with setting up a hotspot on phone wants a portable router

Those need a USB modem

• Wow this sounds nice, how portible are these things?

Could you store it in a secure place in your backpack with no other stuff and use it while walking?

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited January 2018

@hammer said:
    Wow this sounds nice, how portible are these things?

Could you store it in a secure place in your backpack with no other stuff and use it while walking?

Yeap got as long as the batteries last.

E: not easy being cheesy on my phone in full LET mode. No craptastic mobile site for me!!!!!!!!!!

• hammer said: Wow this sounds nice, how portible are these things?

yeah sure why not. I always put it in my pocket. it's not more than half size of a cellphone

• WSSWSS Member

You can get a few of them which come with battery packs, so you can get a few hours between charges without needing another power source.

• TP-Link MR3020 with usb dongle which can run openwrt etc. Or EE osprey (can be network unlocked for like 99p) the osprey is easiest as all self contained just insert sim and switch on. I have one I can sell you.

• @hammer said:

Sure, powerbank+globalsim in your pocket. But I have to warn - those HUAWEIs have really shitty software. Driving me mad every time I try to read SMS or check the balance.

• I'm confused. Are we literally not just talking about a wireless hotspot? Like anyone of these many devices?

https://www.google.com/search?q=t+mobile+hotspot&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch

• @sureiam said:
    I'm confused. Are we literally not just talking about a wireless hotspot? Like anyone of these many devices?

https://www.google.com/search?q=t+mobile+hotspot&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Nah more about a surf stick kinda thing in form of a router where you can insert a data SIM card.