Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

website loading slow after login
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

website loading slow after login

Hello.
A friend of mine has a custom website, where he recently started having slow loading times ONLY after he logs into the website.
So the page is working great, until you log in it where all requests take 5-10 secs to complete.
Does anyone have any pointers as to where to look for bottlenecks?
It smells like a SQL issue, but how do I test it out? He's got a cPanel hosted website.
Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Wordpress?

• @Junkless said:
    Wordpress?

Nah it's a custom website made one of his long hired devs. It worked fine until 2 days ago. No changes were done on the cPanel server whatsoever.

• The problem seems to be with the code.

• WHTWHT Member

Tools.pingdom.com and check what loads slowly.

• @WHT said:
    Tools.pingdom.com and check what loads slowly.

I'd love to , but like I said it starts lagging as soon as the user logs into the page.

@erkin said:
    The problem seems to be with the code.

Nothing was done to the code.

• @madnoob said:

@erkin said:

Well, if his code is checking user credentials from database all the time that slowness is quite normal. I once made such a mistake decades ago then I learned using session variables.

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited January 2018

Seems like we are talking with our eyes closed.

Basic Checks:

• Does the site work fine in dev/local environment?
    • Any activities to be done after login (easy logic check)
    • Any issues with the prod/server config (if No 1 works)

if still cannot find or no idea what is the site about, just use without logging in (Yea I am joking)

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • madnoobmadnoob Member
    edited January 2018

@mrclown said:
    Seems like we are talking with our eyes closed.

Basic Checks:

• Does the site work fine in dev/local environment?
    • Any activities to be done after login (easy logic check)
    • Any issues with the prod/server config (if No 1 works)

if still cannot find or no idea what is the site about, just use without logging in (Yea I am joking)

Haven't tested it in local environment.
    After you type login creds and press log in it starts lagging (5-10 secs for request to complete whatever you click after you log in).
    No

@erkin said:

@madnoob said:

@erkin said:

Well, if his code is checking user credentials from database all the time that slowness is quite normal. I once made such a mistake decades ago then I learned using session variables.

It's not normal since it worked fine before, and now it runs like a snail.

Let's say it's a SQL issue, what checks or how would I go about troubleshooting it?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

What host are you using?

• Would be hard to say without looking at code. You may start by finding slow queries, cpu and memory usage etx

• spectraipspectraip Member, Patron Provider

Did you try it on another server?
    Then you can see if it is a problem with the code or with the server.

• Pulling data from a database is like having a conversation with a friend. To get the right answers you have to ask the right questions directly. Another trick is not asking the same question over and over again when you know the answer is not changed. Apart from everything else, the speed of the conversation is bound to your peers' answering speed.