Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TinyKVM - part 1 - onboarding
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TinyKVM - part 1 - onboarding

Ok I got one following a recommendation from @WSS in another thread.

• they allow paying w/paypal or 2checkout - I chose 2checkout because it's cheaper for @ramnet (lower commission)
  • server was available in minutes after order. Nice surprise after reading about 3 business days to set-up.
  • I asked via ticket for Atlanta and reverse DNS - implemented as part of the server delivery.
  • they provide console access via noVNC on Firefox and Chrome modern browser.
  • when I logged via noVNC I was on the first screen of the Debian net-install (I specified Debian as OS). Nice, this allowed me to do everything myself [full control] which is what I wanted.

All in all a very smooth experience. I now have a zfs root Debian up and running. Yes, in 256MB RAM :-).

NB. I checked the IP and it is clean (not on any spam list).

We'll see how they hold in time.

Comments

• I also have one. Definitely a solid VPS.

Thanked by 1ramnet
  • I have one, I wish I could use APIs like SolusVM.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I like their site design, especially since prgmr.com has gone to some cookie cutter bootstrap theme or whatever it is.

• @willie said:
    I like their site design, especially since prgmr.com has gone to some cookie cutter bootstrap theme or whatever it is.

prgmr had that text only design for 10 years IIRC. My first VPS was from them.

At least the new design rendered fine with my default-global no-js rules in nomatrix.

• @vimalware said:

@willie said:
    I like their site design, especially since prgmr.com has gone to some cookie cutter bootstrap theme or whatever it is.

prgmr had that text only design for 10 years IIRC. My first VPS was from them.

At least the new design rendered fine with my default-global no-js rules in nomatrix.

ya.. still miss prgmr, how solid they are with xen.

• @lwt URL is missing, please share it to prevent misleading. At least I need it. :-)

• Erkin, this is about tinykvm.com which is part of ramhost.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • @willie said:
    Erkin, this is about tinykvm.com which is part of ramhost.

Thanks. And what's with prgmr.com ...

• Prgmr.com is one of the oldest VM hosts. For many years its web site was plain text and tinykvm's imitated its design. It was great. But now prgmr's site looks like another lame bootstrap site, while tinykvm's looks cool and unique.

Thanked by 1erkin
  • @willie said:
    Prgmr.com is one of the oldest VM hosts. For many years its web site was plain text and tinykvm's imitated its design. It was great. But now prgmr's site looks like another lame bootstrap site, while tinykvm's looks cool and unique.

prgmr's new site isn't so obnoxious -- it's still pretty minimalist. Their pricing has become better but they're still rather pricey from LET's perspective.

Thanked by 2erkin vimalware
  • @angstrom said:

@willie said:
    Prgmr.com is one of the oldest VM hosts.

Plus , the operator/founder wrote what was the goto book on running Xen hypervisors.

Remember this was 10years ago.

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

They were okay a very very long time ago. I wouldn't recommend them in the current era. You can get much better services literally anywhere else these days.

• @vimalware said:

@angstrom said:

@willie said:
    Prgmr.com is one of the oldest VM hosts.

Plus , the operator/founder wrote what was the goto book on running Xen hypervisors.

I love their slogan: "We don't assume you are stupid."

• @Xei said:
    They were okay a very very long time ago. I wouldn't recommend them in the current era. You can get much better services literally anywhere else these days.

Although I've never tried prgmr, you're probably right about this, certainly in terms of price. Personally, I've always liked the fact that they seem to be friendly towards alternative OSes.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

vimalware said: Plus , the operator/founder wrote what was the goto book on running Xen hypervisors.

Yep, i have that book :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Xei said: They were okay a very very long time ago. I wouldn't recommend them in the current era. You can get much better services literally anywhere else these days.

By Better you mean faster and cheaper I assume, its highly unlikely you will get better as in production grade, very secure, very stable though.

Thanked by 2angstrom uptime
  • angstrom said: prgmr's new site isn't so obnoxious -- it's still pretty minimalist.

I don't find it exactly obnoxious, just conventional and unimaginative, looking like too many of last year's cookie cutter sites. Hmm yeah I'd say it also looks somewhat outdated. I think it was better looking WAY outdated than merely somewhat outdated.

• @willie said: Hmm yeah I'd say it also looks somewhat outdated. I think it was better looking WAY outdated than merely somewhat outdated.

That's a difficult aesthetic to achieve, you know: to look better by looking way outdated but to look worse by looking somewhat outdated. :-)

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

angstrom said:

That's a difficult aesthetic to achieve, you know: to look better by looking way outdated but to look worse by looking somewhat outdated. :-)

http://coboloncogs.org is the best :)

More srsly it's not just an esthetic, it's the absence of modern scripting crap and bandwidth-wasting graphics. It's gotten to the point where if I see a site that's all text and has no javascript but isn't simply ancient and unmaintained, I know it's good.

• @willie said:

angstrom said:

http://coboloncogs.org is the best :)

More srsly it's not just an esthetic, it's the absence of modern scripting crap and bandwidth-wasting graphics. It's gotten to the point where if I see a site that's all text and has no javascript but isn't simply ancient and unmaintained, I know it's good.

You're definitely old school in this respect. :-)

Thanked by 1willie