Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated/Gameserver is lagging need your Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated/Gameserver is lagging need your Help

NeoNeo Banned
edited May 2013 in General

Hi,

I ordered at i3d.net a Dedicated for 20Euro per Month, so i have the problem that my Gameserver are lagging (CSS/HL2), netgraph shows interruption randomly. No Packetloss, Network Cable is replaced, Complete Replace of Hardware exept HDD's.
So still Lagging, CPU is around 40% and Memory at 1,5GB/4GB.
So I dont know why the fuck Dedicated is lagging, have you any sugesstion?

Comments

• If the server they provided is not up to scratch why don't they give you a new one?

• rds100rds100 Member

What's the hardware? CPU? Where are you? What's the ping from you to the game server?

• NeoNeo Banned

@CheapVPS because i thinked it was solved, 1 Month ago now i found this issue Again. So i ask you first if you have a sugesstion.

• NeoNeo Banned

@CheapVPS around 32ms, Server is located in Netherlands. I connect from Germany.

Take a look: http://vserv07.neogreen.net/i3d/net.Xeon/i3d.net.Xeon/index.html

• CheapVPSCheapVPS Member
    edited May 2013

I've got to run out now bit i'm sure other will help you with it technically. But to be honest if it were me and I was paying money for something they were not delivering I would take it up with them first. If they can't or won't fix it, cut your losses and move on to another host.

If they can't help you with this, what are they going tobe like at 3am when you need the server restarting?

• NeoNeo Banned

@CheapVPS They said "We already check all, we found nothing", so i ask them of Replace the Hardware exepct HDD's. It was done in 12 Hours but still go this prob.

• Ah OK so it's only lagging for you and they can't replicate it?

• NeoNeo Banned

Not only me, yeah they can't replicate it.

• Was it working for a good period of time (think weeks) and then suddenly your problem started happening? If that's the case, then it would more likely be an srcds update, plugin or general software change.

• NeoNeo Banned

I hits all Gameserver on the Machine on the same time, it vergot to say this.

• NodepopNodepop Member

Neo, What game are you hosting?

Try increasing your ulimit. This is the amount of files allowed "Open" at once.

Try increasing your TCP window size. You can use a tool called iperf to test and tune your network connection. It operates as server/client setup. Increasing your tcp window can help move larger packets over longer distances.

Serve maps off memory. If you have enough memory, you may increase overall performance by mitigating disk I/O by using a ram disk.

Paste a TOP taken when the server is performing poorly, and we may be able to help you better.

• BradNDBradND Member

It's your CPU most likely, what model is it?

• NeoNeo Banned

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3330 @ 2.66GHz
    Again: it his all Players on all Servers at the Same time, so it isnt My Internet Connection take a look:
    http://s1.directupload.net/images/130501/dgj8xbqb.jpg (other Player on Garrysmod)
    http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3242/hfpx8vfp_jpg.htm (me on TF2 on the Same machine)
    Here Steam Chat: http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3242/4rgrwesv_png.htm
    So you see it hits both Servers at same second.

• BradNDBradND Member

You need a better CPU assuming these servers are full when it lags, GMOD can be real CPU intensive. Feel free to ding me an email or skype me and i'll help you take a look :)

• NeoNeo Banned

Garrysmod was emtpy at this time and the load wasnt higher as 20%

• edited May 2013

Sounds like your dedi's network is faulty. Perhaps a misbehaving switch or router is causing packet loss? I would run some tests from another server. (MTR, long ping tests, etc)

Edit: I use SRCDS a lot and your graphs look fine so its the network or your server load.

• rds100rds100 Member

If it's a popular game server with a lot of players someone might be DoSing it. Game servers often get DoSed.

• So in your munin graphs I see it hitting 2 cores, SRCDS is single threaded and hitting 2 cores likely means your CPU was maxed out for those 2 servers.

• MunMun Member
    edited May 2013

Can you paste your server.cfg files please. Clear out things that you don't want the world to see.

• NeoNeo Banned

I cancled the server right now, so thread can be closed.

• MunMun Member

It probably had nothing to do with the network, more likely it had something to do with a mismanaged and badly configured server.cfg, but okay.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Mun said: It probably had nothing to do with the network, more likely it had something to do with a mismanaged and badly configured server.cfg, but okay.

@Neo - On behalf of everyone here, thanks for wasting valuable community time.

• NeoNeo Banned

@Mun The Server running without any laggs on other machines so, its not badly configured.
    @marcm I would not found the problem without your help here, BradNB Helped my already sucessfull. For short: The Hardware is more or less to old so i rent a New Dedicated and cancled the old one.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Neo Then I'm glad it was useful. I wasn't being sarcastic by the way. Every so often someone starts a thread just for the sake of it. I'm glad this isn't one of those. Take care :-)

• MunMun Member

I don't think you understand how cranky Source servers are with settings and configs.

• edited May 2013

@Mun said: I don't think you understand how cranky Source servers are with settings and configs.

And this is my life story! You can ask @Nick_A what happens when SRCDS decides it's unhappy.
    Hint: It involves loads of around 8 on a 4 core VPS :P