Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LET Administrator!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New LET Administrator!

jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hey friends,

It's been quite a ride, but I'd like to inform you that I will be stepping down from my role as administrator on LET. It's nothing dramatic, it's just the right decision for both myself and the community. I know some of you will have more questions, but let me get started with the most significant one:

I have asked @AnthonySmith to take my place here at LET. I love you guys, but there is not one among you who can say that they possess more loyalty, integrity, and vision for this community. I think all of the regulars here have come to recognize Anthony's qualities. He's passionate but calm, opinionated but reasonable, generous but firm.

You guys never heard this short story, but Anthony read on LET a while back that I was struggling to keep up with support tickets on MXroute, and the impact was snowballing. Meanwhile, I had failed just enough with some finances that I couldn't pay anyone what I thought they would deserve to help. Anthony approached me quietly, not to make a show of it, and offered to help me with support at no cost. Now, I did turn it down because I wouldn't be able to get over letting someone do that for me when I couldn't give back what I felt was deserved at the same time. That's just details though, the real meat of this story is this: That's the kind of guy Anthony is. That right there speaks more about his character than just a list of qualities.

I hope you guys will join me in giving @AnthonySmith a warm welcome. Go easy on the guy, alright?

Now to the part I'd prefer to avoid, but it's going to make my life easier if I get it over with now. I'd like for this to not be about me, this is about you guys and what's good for the community. I would love to leave it at that, but I'm expecting some questions for myself that I can answer up front to save time. Some of them I'm expecting to be uncomfortable, might as well go ahead and answer them.

Q: Were you asked to step down?
A: Not at all. It was never suggested by another moderator or admin, or by anyone at colocrossing.

Q: Does this have any relation to your recent feud with Mao-not-so-unique?
A: You know you were thinking it, all 5 of you. A little bit yeah. I realized that a fair number of members here have managed to find my buttons, and that they enjoy pressing them. Intentionally unwilling to separate my personality from the role, I decided someone with a different personality would better serve in my position. More specifically, someone a bit less likely to try to please everyone at once, at all times.

Q: So you finally decided that you're too emotional to run an online community?
A: No. I've been hearing that since I started in the role, usually in an attempt to manipulate my decisions through social pressure. I made a conscious decision to continue being myself by not hiding my emotions or my unfiltered thoughts from the community. Rarely did I find myself making decisions while something other than calm, even more rarely were they decisions that I would not have made if I were calm. I know how to balance myself. I'm not perfect and neither are you, but I'll walk away feeling like I did this pretty well. Whether or not you liked my openly shared feelings, well that's your burden.

Q: Now that you're finally out of the role, do you have any dirty secrets to share about colocrossing?
A: Yeah, @jbiloh is a furry and @sysadmin drinks diet pepsi. No really, forget what past dramas were blown out of proportion (sometimes by me) to paint them as the villains of the industry. They're just regular people trying to put food on the table like anyone else. It's been a pleasure to be trusted by them with the community, and I genuinely hope that I get to work with them in some capacity in the future. Whether that's simply as a customer, on a project, whatever. They know how to reach me.

As admin: Peace out, friends.
As community member: I look forward to continuing to contribute here :)

Comments

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• hzrhzr Member

wow

• *Salutes

Thanked by 1jar
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Although I seems to be new here, but I have been looking around here for quite some time, thanks for your contribution!

Thanked by 1jar
  • WHTWHT Member

Thank you for the great job. Am sure Anthony will do a good job to. Welcome.

Thanked by 1jar
  • wew

• Thanks man good luck.
    Welcome Anthony

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jarland is this permanent? Or will you ever comeback?

@Jarland your presence here is always well received. By far the most active and fairest mod I have ever encountered in all of the other forums I have been part of.

I wish you good luck to your business. Me too I have been more busy that I haven't had time to post like when I first arrived here. Business comes first.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarland said: all 5 of you

Are we at least getting a pro-rata refund on our 2018 bribes?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • thank you @jarland as previous admin

good luck @AnthonySmith with your new position as admin

may LET grow greater and better

Thanked by 1jar
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2018

The end is surely, certainly, dickly, nigh.

I demand a custom title.

• @jarland: My thanks above are for all of your efforts here as administrator (and are not to be understood as thanks for stepping down). :-)

And welcome to @AnthonySmith, who I gather will be a no-nonsense administrator. :-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the welcome, from my perspective, when I was asked, I thought it was a joke!, once I realized it was not a joke I took some time to think about it before accepting, even then I have to admit, I thought it would never go over well with 'the management' but they have been great.

I have given my opinions and thoughts privately, I have made it clear that I am not out to make any big sweeping changes but I probably have a different personality type to all previous admins, I am more likely to act first and be prepared to apologize later if I am wrong.

I am going to do very little in terms of the admin role for a few days just to see what is what and how it is received and get some targets together.

I have no doubt this will not be a 100% popular decision but it is what it is.

Thanks to @Jarland for the consideration and kind words, not sure they are all deserved but I appreciate it.

I look forward to it but don't expect any major changes except the price limit being significantly increased on all offers to $50 p/m, all swearing = instaban, and a new category for Canadian pharmacy offers will be added by the end of the week.

As I said, already in private, if @jarland feels like he made a big mistake in a few weeks/months, I will be happy to step down and revert to how it was.

right.. feel free to rip in to me now.

• Wow. Monday morning bummer. Welcome @AnthonySmith. Hopefully @jarland will still be able to edit the titles for shit threads :-)

• TomTom Member

Thanks, jar

Thanked by 1jar
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

In the short time that I have been here, you have proven to be an excellent unbiased and fair community leader. Your values are genuine and your efforts to make this community all that it is have not gone unnoticed. Hopefully this move helps to eliminate some stress and gives you more free time to enjoy with the wife and kids :). I sincerely appreciate the time you put in to this community to make it, what many of us feel to be, our "online home". We may squabble and banter like spoiled children at varying stages of the spectrum, but I consider this community to be a large (sometimes dysfunctional) family.

With that said, welcome @AnthonySmith! Luckily, you share many of the same qualities that Jarland has shown and I have no doubt that you will continue to see this community grow and prosper. Best of luck!

Thanked by 2Wolveix jar
  • all swearing = instaban

no god! please no

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

Azenot said: all swearing = instaban

@wss end is near

we will miss jar boy as admin :(

Thanked by 1Azenot
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I look forward to it but don't expect any major changes except the price limit being significantly increased on all offers to $50 p/m, all swearing = instaban, and a new category for Canadian pharmacy offers will be added by the end of the week.

Yes! When can we expect the $50 p/m increased offers? I've been waiting for this moment all my life. With the Euro being really high and inflation the $7 dollar max limit is becoming too low.

I don't think swearing should result in instaban , that would be too fascist.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Ohk!

Congratulations @AnthonySmith

Congratulations @jarland as you are free from all the LET drama now :D

Thanked by 1jar
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Jarland -- wish you well champ.

Thanked by 2jar SCAM_AlphaRacks
  • @jarland

First, to make one thing perfectly clear front up: I don't know @jbiloh but I know that compared to me he is naked and blank-skinned like a baby. I AM the definition of "furry"!

As for you/admin, yes, maybe the decision is a good one. To be perfectly clear, I stick to what I've said quite a few times: I think that you are (were) a good admin because you credibly tried your damn best for the well being of this community and you really tried hard to be fair.

Sometimes, however, (and that seems to be normal for a strong personality) you couldn't resist your emotions and also allowed "professional stuff" to get too close to you.(Plus: You are an ugly bastard. By no means even close to how ugly I am but still, ugly).

I want to thank you for your admin work here which earned you some well deserved respect. And I also thank you again for banning @WSS, that cunning cunt, for 0.03 seconds. He deserved every nanosecond of it!

Oh, and: may the wisdom guide @AnthonySmith. And may he have lots of patience.

Thanked by 3MikePT jar tarasis
  • @jarland - Does that mean that people are finally allowed to know about the two of us? Now that you are no longer my line manager? Thank you for the fish, wasn't an easy task here!

@AnthonySmith: Fancy a fuck?

Thanked by 3MikePT hostdare jar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

bsdguy said: may he have lots of patience.

highly unlikely.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Congrats @AnthonySmith

@jarland thanks for being a super cool admin :)

Thanked by 2MikePT jar
  • @jarland you will be a regular here yes?
    thank you for the time you spent here,,, maybe after you are back 100% you'll be admin again ... anyway, best wishes to you.

Thanked by 1jar
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2018

1 - @AnthonySmith and @Jarland will always be the only guys (@WSS) too, able to calm me down. So that means: I consider both LET Admins anyway. @Jarland will always be "the" LET admin for me as now Anthony is.

2 - @AnthonySmith deserves this. There's no one else I'd think of.

3 - Still consider @Jarland "the" LET admin.

4 - Very anxious to see how it plays, pretty sure it'll still be exactly the same.

5 - AnthonySmith is that guys who's always willing to help everyone, even his enemies. Can't think of anyone else other than @Nekki who'd do that (sarcasm intended).

6 - Still consider @Jarland "the" LET admin.

Congratulations @AnthonySmith, I hope you have a terrific first day as an Admin!

@Jarland:

Thanked by 2jar Steve81
  • TomTom Member

@AnthonySmith whens the LET solusvm v2 theme coming?

Thanked by 2MikePT hostdare