Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this your business or hobby?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this your business or hobby?

wilbowilbo Member
edited April 2013 in General

VPS's are my hobby. I could run everything I need off of a 1 gig VPS with no problem. I just like to play around with servers and VPSs, so I have a dedicated server that pretty much goes to waste. My job lets me play around on the computer all day. I may go in to the hosting business some day, but not today.

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2013

I like turtles!

• IvanIvan Member

My hobby :) Hopefully one day I'll start a tiny business offering shared hosting.
    Wish I had the type of money to have servers that go to 'waste' :P

• markmark Member

Hobby. I like writing scripts, using VPN for Hulu, and just playing around in linux. I've run a small shared hosting business since 2007 but that only accounts for 2 of my 10 VPSes!

• jeffjeff Member

Making the switch, been a reseller, want to offer more.

• Currently al my LEB's are hobby, if I'm able to earn something with it I will definitly do it however I'm not buying them to make profit.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm constantly trying out new configurations of various packages on different distros. Openvz provides a perfect platform for doing this productively. Sometimes what I do becomes production without having planned that before, so I have different vps. I also just like supporting other providers. So mostly hobby but sometimes it crosses over.

• bobbybobby Member

Most of mine are used. Some good offers are reserved/idle, though.

If hobby, why not just virtualbox? :)

• wilbowilbo Member
    edited April 2013

@bobby said: If hobby, why not just virtualbox? :)

I have to have hosting for a business I own, so I just get a little more than I need so I can play around. Tax deduction too. I have all my stuff that is important in one container, the rest of the server is for messing around with and testing.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@wilbo said: I have all my stuff that is important in one container

There I highlighted your problem.
    There are 10 types of geeks in the world, those that havent lost any data and those that take regular backups/use some HA scheme.

• Hobby, and part of my study/research...

• wilbowilbo Member

@Maounique said: There I highlighted your problem.

There are 10 types of geeks in the world, those that havent lost any data and those that take regular backups/use some HA scheme.

I have a VPS on a different server across the country from my server. If my server goes down I have an exact duplicate I can switch to at a moments notice. All I have to do is switch IP numbers for my nameservers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Then you have 2 containers :)
    Anyway, changing IPs in DNS should not be done manually, there are automatic schemes.

• Hobby for me. I enjoy toying with my VPS' and messing around with scripts.

• emgemg Veteran

Self-education and hobby.

• Mainly hobby, partially as a streaming video solution for my college's newspaper and some of my personal projects.

• What ever I do in LET or other similar Forum, are purely Hobby, Though I spend more time in this then my real Field. My actual Field of study is totally non related to LET/LEB ;)...

M.

• @Maounique

Actually, its "Those who understand binary and those who do not" your comment really does not make much sense to me :)

• mostly hobby and messing with :D