Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from VPSSlim/HostSlim
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stay away from VPSSlim/HostSlim

FreekFreek Member
edited April 2013 in Reviews

I've been with VPSSlim/Hostslim for about 3 months now. In the beginning, i.e. the first 2 weeks, all was well. Performance was great and so was uptime. But then the horror started. Nodes are extremely oversold and therefore very unstable. I/O is usually piss-poor and everything feels slower than a Celeron mining Bitcoins. I've been moved to another node because of this, and the same it was exactly the same story; The first 2 weeks were great, but after the box got crowded, it was sluggish again.
VPSSlim/Hostslim is a one man show. There's nothing wrong with that, but Ralph, the owner, likes to solve problems using a game that's called 'Is it better now?' If you open up a ticket, complaining about the performance, he will update the ticket in 5-15 minutes asking 'Is it better now?'. Sometime it is, sometimes it isn't. What I can tell you is that it isn't better in the long run.

6 days ago I got this email: Lately you might have experienced some load/connectivity issues with your VPS. We have been working on this issue very hard and this should be resolved now. We are just sending you this message as status update.

2 days ago my VPS was down for 14 hour(s), 27 minute(s) and 18 second(s)) due to 'connectivity issues':
"You may have noticed that you where not able to connect to your VPS. The problem was caused by a routing issue and we had to reboot your VM. Your IP should resolve again and you should be able to access the internet again through your VM."

Today my VPS went down again, which was quickly followed by an email of Ralph, informing me that 'Some clients have contacted us that they could not connect to their vps after 5PM GMT+1(Dutch time). This was caused because they are hosting a firewall and the right rules where not applied. To fix this issue they had to reboot their VPS so the new rules applied to the iptables.'.

I am sorry, but I'm just not buying this. I never heard of this before. I am not hosting a firewall, in fact I haven't logged into my VPSSlim box for 3 weeks because it's just so slow and unstable, and now my firewall is not properly configured? Nope.
Also, isn't it a bit wierd all problems are fixed by rebooting? Routing issues, firewalls, a simple reboot fixes all...

Anyway, all in all HostSlim/VPSSlim tries, but that just isn't enough. Nodes are oversold and unstable, but on the other hand 'Support'/ Ticket responses are be fast and friendly (except for the last one I got, which was a bit rude). In the end that doesn't matter if the service quality does not improve. Therefore I would not recommend VPSSlim/HostSlim to anyone.

Comments

• @VPSSLIM

He is also here, lets hear if he got anything to say :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I have a VPS with VPSSlim, and I have to say that it's not the best; frequently it runs slowly enough for lag over ssh, randomly my VPN server dies and needs a kick for no obvious reason, and there does seem seem to be an unusually high amount of outages.

On the flip side, it's $12 a year, and when it is up, it actually kicks the arse out of every other provider I've used in terms of speed (when downloading over VPN), so I can't complain too much. I won't renew my yearly, but I'm not unhappy for the price either.

• Same here, network is great, I/O sucks shit, they load ~650 people on a single box without SSD cache and who knows not even RAID 0...

• I cancelled it because
    I bought it, logged in, ran yum update, then it dropped off the internet

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@superpilesos said: I bought it, logged in, ran yum update, then it dropped off the internet

That sounds exactly like my experience, it completely ground to a halt during the initial apt-get update/upgrade.

I didn't cancel because they initially gave me 8 IP4 and I wanted to see if they noticed; they did a few days later, but by then the I/O was reasonable enough.

• I have 4 vps with them.

Wtf you want for that money.... they are so cheap...

They recently send an email explaining the degradation problems.

I am happy with mine.

• @cloromorpho said: Wtf you want for that money.... they are so cheap...

You can get better operating VPSes for that costs. But ok.

• FreekFreek Member

@Nekki said: On the flip side, it's $12 a year, and when it is up, it actually kicks the arse out of every other provider I've used in terms of speed (when downloading over VPN), so I can't complain too much. I won't renew my yearly, but I'm not unhappy for the price either.

Network is great in terms of speed, but it being so unreliable, I really have no good use for it. Mine was 30 euros a year I believe for 1GB.

@cloromorpho said: Wtf you want for that money.... they are so cheap...

So are other providers, welcome to LowEndBox (IPXCore, HTTPZoom, miniVPS etc). In fact, LowEndSpirit costs 3 euros A YEAR and is better in terms of performace/uptime/stability than VPSSlim.

• They recently send an email explaining the degradation problems.

Probably the same excuse they've been giving since August for their massive overselling.

I/O sucks shit

Search the Cest pit and you'll find me complaining about the day iops were 1 or the day the entire node ran out of disk space and crashed or the days when it would take 5 minutes to be able to access SSH or the days a small apt-get upgrade literally took hours or the days when my 200GB space had shrunk to 60GB because the node was so massively oversold.

Wtf you want for that money

something that is usable

• Thank you.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited April 2013

I still have mine there.
    $1.99 pm (256 MB plan)
    It runs very good, decent speed. 22 days uptime so far.
    I must admit every several days it is rebooted though.

• @cloromorpho said: you want for that money

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @HalfEatenPie said: You can get better operating VPSes for that costs. But ok.

No, you can't. Or let us know where.
    (1GB RAM, 99%+ uptime, $4 max)

VPS' at HostSlim are slow but they are working. They are not appropriate for every one, but if you don't care about responsiveness, it's a good deal (at the discount price of course).

• @hostingwizard_net said: No, you can't. Or let us know where.

(1GB RAM, 99%+ uptime, $4 max)

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/bitaccel-3-15month-1gb-openvz-vps-in-buffalo-new-york/

1GB for 3.15; 1Gbit Connection. NY / LA Give a try...

• FreekFreek Member

@Fritz said: I must admit every several days it is rebooted though.

How can it be up for 22 days if it gets rebooted every several days?

@hostingwizard_net said: No, you can't. Or let us know where.

Yes, you can.
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/bitaccel-3-15month-1gb-openvz-vps-in-buffalo-new-york/

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/ugvps-19half-year-2gb-openvz-in-atlanta-chicago-los-angeles/

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-21quarter-3gb-openvz-vps-in-atlanta-buffalo-chicago-la/

Just to name a few.

@hostingwizard_net said: They are not appropriate for every one, but if you don't care about responsiveness, it's a good deal (at the discount price of course).

Lol, how can a not responsive VPS be suitable for anyone?

• lurchlurch Member

@Freek "but Ralph, the owner, likes to solve problems using a game that's called 'Is it better now?'" I thought it was just me ha. I opened a ticket about the poor I/O and got a very similar reply.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@peppr & @Freek from some reason you both quoted only "colocrossing" offers while this one is in Netherland. Important difference for some people.
    Just sayin' ;-)

• krokro Member

Ralph ask the community for guidance? Gotta do something to recerse the trend. Unless just super overloading the node, then well...

• @Spirit I am not into the anti-colocrossing thing, however BitAcell's LA location is from QuadraNet DC, LA. I mentioned the deal for cost/spec comparison only and not on location. i dont see netherland in the post i replied. ;)

• If anyone wants reliable NL VPS ;)

• edited April 2013

@peppr @Freek Of course I meant in NL (or close).

BTW, I already have some VPS' at UGVPS and CVPS. May give a try to bitaccel in the future, if I need to replace a VPS in Buffalo.

I need to point you to the definition of responsiveness. A lot of LEB sold here (basically when there is an temporary overcommitment of one resource) are not responsive VPS and still suitable for several tasks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsiveness

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Freek said: How can it be up for 22 days if it gets rebooted every several days?

This time they let my VPS online more than 21 days. :p

Monthly plans are better IMO.

• nikcnikc Member

+1

The worst I have by far in terms of:

1. Uptime
    2. Support responses
    3. I/O performance

I asked for my money back .... they refused and just said they were fixing it .... that was months ago :(

• lurchlurch Member
    edited April 2013

my disks are having zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync 16384+0 records in 16384+0 records out 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 28.6929 s, 37.4 MB/s

• nikcnikc Member

I've been moved onto a premium node, gonna try it tonight to see if its better.

• Same thing for me, I got the "Is it better now?" one-liner several times. I/O was sometimes better for a few hours, then it stalled again and server was unreachable for several minutes.

Ralph blamed "those damn abusers"... today, I think he was the one abusing my patience...

After a few weeks, I got tired and canceled (had payed for a year in advance, but the price was ridiculous -- well, I suppose I got what I payed for).

Asked for a refund, never got an answer :(

Their network is not bad (am located in Germany), but the server unusable...

• I had a vps there for 2 months, it was a joke. Those jokers do not know how to run and manage servers.
    m2c

• I have a similar story. I have been moved 3 times to different nodes, every time it just gets worst and worst. One of my "new" nodes even had overallocated hdd space. I had a vanilla debian installation, but I was using >30% of my disk space, even though I was actually using only <2%. They don't want to give refunds and I have been going over this crap for months. I also have a year subscription, and I want the remaining months back as a refund. Needless to say, Ralph is super stubborn. And he continues to try to make it better but nothing changes. At one point I had 110mhz per core, which was then pushed up to 550mhz after complaining. On the one node I got 2mb in a dd test.

apt-get update and apt-get upgrade takes ages to finish and generates loads of about 1-3. So its impossible to do anything on their servers, apart from maybe making a static file site. Their CPU and Disk is super oversold. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

The only thing nice about them, is pretty much their network. But I think this is also starting to become oversold.

I am actually shocked how much Ralph can lie about their service. It is pretty much fine the first week, but after that, then everything starts happening. And they only give one week full refund.

I can post screenshots of my support tickets, of going through trouble for months now. Still waiting for my "promised" refund.

• FreekFreek Member

@nikc said: I've been moved onto a premium node, gonna try it tonight to see if its better.

I was placed onto a premium node as well, back in February I believe. It was good, until 2 weeks later the node was oversold again.

@hostingwizard_net said: I need to point you to the definition of responsiveness. A lot of LEB sold here (basically when there is an temporary overcommitment of one resource) are not responsive VPS and still suitable for several tasks.

What task is suitable for a VPS that takes 1 minute to show a login prompt over SSH?

@dynweb said: /O was sometimes better for a few hours,

That's the problem. His 'solutions' aren't good for long. I think he just shuts down some VPSes for a minute or so and that's it.

• i am 1 of their client and now i leave this host coz i see their do very oversold
    their do many promotion yes that cheap just for take many client how long their run bussines and only offer that plan with same server lol

Not recommended