Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update: A new VPS control panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Update: A new VPS control panel

s_ks_k Member
edited April 2013 in General

With all of this excitement about Stallion (which looks great, btw), I figured I should give an update on my control panel.

I'm making pretty solid progress; most of the core functionality for OpenVZ and KVM is there (Xen is on the way). There's also still some core functionality that does need to be developed, such as integration with WHMCS, among other things.

The frontend is minimalistic, quick, and responsive, as it makes heavy use of AJAX and client-side templates. One aspect I think will be appreciated about it is its ability to be themed/skinned. It's trivial to modify either the CSS or the templates themselves (or both). It uses LESS so you can change the entire color scheme in a single place (although in production, the less would be compiled to CSS). I'm also trying to make the frontend very "usable", e.g. sorting on any column in tables, good search features, etc. All that said, keep in mind that I'm not a designer, so the UI is pretty plain (but maybe some people like the minimalism :) ).

One side effect of the AJAX frontend is that it now has a nice, fully-functional API that it can expose. Overall, I've been developing the control panel in a very "correct" (and thus secure) way: tokens prevent CSRF, client-side templates prevent XSS, prepared statements for all database interaction, etc. I wish this stuff went without saying, but it's worth noting.

Finally, since everyone loves screenshots, here's a preview: (1) (2) (3)

One more thing to note: it still needs a name. Suggestions are welcome. Also, if anyone has suggestions or criticism as far as the UI or functionality goes (or anything else really), I'll take that as well.

If any providers would like to work with me in testing, and potentially using it, let me know. It could be a good opportunity to get a nearly custom-tailored control panel without much risk.

• s_k

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

Nice! :-)

@s_k said: If any providers would like to work with me in testing, and potentially using it, let me know. It could be a good opportunity to get a nearly custom-tailored control panel without much risk.

• @s_k said: If any providers would like to work with me in testing, and potentially using it, let me know.

Count us in.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Looks good!

@s_k said: If any providers would like to work with me in testing, and potentially using it, let me know.

Yes :)

• Doctor who for the win!

I just love that address.

• twaintwain Member

Looks fantastic nice work!

• BK_BK_ Member

Looks great!

• I like it simple. Looking good.

• Libvirt?

• danodano Member

It looks nice -- good job and thanks for your hard work - always great to see alternatives to the status quo.

• Looks cool and promising :)

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited April 2013

Look neat. :D Remind me of Windows 8 though.

• s_ks_k Member
    edited April 2013

Thanks everyone! I'll try to be more active here and keep you guys updated as to how it's going. At some point I'm going to get a public beta similar to what Francisco just did with Stallion 2.

@Rallias said: Doctor who for the win!
    I just love that address.

I wondered if anyone would catch that. Unfortunately I don't really have that address :)

@serverian said: Libvirt?

Partially. KVM support uses libvirt, OpenVZ uses vzctl. I haven't done much with Xen, right now it has some support with libvirt.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR
    edited April 2013

I'd be interested in running this not only in a testing environment, but even a production one if it pans out :)

• looks nice =)

• pls some one make something like cpanel/whm but for free. if anyone installs nulled version of cpanel on a VPS without the VPS sellers idea what will happen .

• @s_k said: I wondered if anyone would catch that. Unfortunately I don't really have that address :)

I DON'T KNOW WHERE I AM.

• Nice work. Always good to see people working on new projects.

• This looks unbelievably slick :) Nice work :)

• Looks really great!!

• @thehray said: pls some one make something like cpanel/whm but for free. if anyone installs nulled version of cpanel on a VPS without the VPS sellers idea what will happen .

Spend $10-15 less each month with fast food or wasted money then you'll have your cPanel license money.

You folks act like $10-15 is like $100

• no earnings . spending so much

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@thehray said: no earnings . spending so much

lol

• I like the minimalism. I would also be interested in testing this when the time comes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@doughmanes said: You folks act like $10-15 is like $100

Well here it's almost equivalent in nature. You are on lowendtalk remember. This is the community based around lowendbox, which was started on the idea of doing more with less. Grabbing 512mb ram or more and purchasing a cPanel license is very much not in line with the entire concept behind this site.

Pretty sure this conversation belongs in another recent thread though.

• WOW THAT LOOKS SO AWESOME

• s_ks_k Member
    edited April 2013

A few people have shown interest so I want to share a bit more about what state it is in.

Completed Features
    Most (but not all) of what you see in the screenshots above is implemented, fully operational, and relatively polished. To enumerate them a bit: reinstalling OpenVZ containers, starting/rebooting/shutting down VPSs, bandwidth and resource monitoring, plans, suspending and terminating VPSs. In KVM, changing boot order and CDROM.

There are also a few things that are easy to take for granted in the screenshots, but are pretty substantial. For example, the API. The API not only powers the frontend UI, but also enables node-to-node communication. To list a few others: IP management (currently only IPv4), static DHCP for KVM/Xen guests (using dnsmasq).

Small incomplete features
    - Built-in VNC/console. I'd like to use noVNC but another option is to go the traditional route: a VNC Java applet.
    - 'Transfer' (migration) isn't implemented, but I don't expect it to take long.
    - Still needs IPv6 support. Not trivial, but won't take too long.
    - Xen support. Also not trivial, but won't take long either.
    - Bulk UI operations - e.g. selecting multiple items and performing actions (delete, etc.)
    All of these are on the way, and I'll keep the thread updated to share my progress.

Bigger incomplete features
    - WHMCS integration. I expect this will take a bit longer, largely because I'm not familiar with its APIs (although it doesn't look too bad). For now, it's a lower priority as I focus on the real features.

I'll get some more screenshots soon, tonight and in the next few days. If you have any other questions, let me know.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited April 2013

This is sounding promising :) Give us a shout if you need any help or advice from a providers perspective in regards to KVM.

• Why do you only allow providers to test :(

• s_ks_k Member
    edited April 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: Why do you only allow providers to test :(

Eventually, my goal is to find a provider or two who would actually like to test it in a production environment.

Obviously, it's not ready for that yet. After I finish the features I mentioned above, I'd like to do a public demo/beta for people to test (similar to Stallion). I'll get some feedback from that, and then move on to release candidate testing with providers.

So you'll be able to play with it soon :)

@GetKVM_Ash said: This is sounding promising :) Give us a shout if you need any help or advice from a providers perspective in regards to KVM.

Will do, thanks!

• @s_k said: So you'll be able to play with it soon :)

Well I rarely use the VPS control panels of my providers, since I only need to do it when I mess stuff up bad xD (but the panel has to be work very well when I need to use it). I'd much prefer to be able to use this on my own servers (dedi/KVM).