Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NL SSD VPS Testers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NL SSD VPS Testers

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Ha, yeah one of their reps just gave me his pitch on Skype. No thanks. Not only do they sell the same product themselves, but they want to get other LEB hosts doing it alongside.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1259324

That's like if ColoCrossing started selling cheap VPSs directly...

• @Patrick, I'd be happy to give it a try. A potential platform to upgrade my gameserver onto if it starts struggling :)

• FreekFreek Member

I highly recommend you ditch those OCZs asap.. You will find out in about 3-4 months why.

• I'll give it a try. I haven't used OCZ SSD's before, like to give em a try.

• Got a OCZ in my pc for about 2 years, don't got any problems. obvious that you can't compare it to a 24/7 server. Personally I don't got anything against OCZ.

• @taronyu said: Got a OCZ in my pc for about 2 years, don't got any problems. obvious that you can't compare it to a 24/7 server. Personally I don't got anything against OCZ.

This. Rocking an OCZ for a year now, no troubles.

• I wanner one,can you offer me a box?

• LeeLee Veteran

Yeah well as said though, in a home pc vs a server, especially a busy one is not really a comparison.

Aside from that it will be interesting to see what you can offer that will stand up against the likes of DO in the Netherlands.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@W1V_Lee said: Aside from that it will be interesting to see what you can offer that will stand up against the likes of DO in the Netherlands.

Didn't think about them until you mentioned this but no worries, our 4th NL node is nearly full so it was about time we got a new node and I went for something different then normal SATA drives :-)

• LeeLee Veteran

@Jack said: Hahahha!

Funny how?

• I'd ditch the ocz drives Patrick. I know we've had our run ins in the past but in all honesty, they run like crap. I had a few bottle out within 3 months. Intel's and Samsung's run a lot better.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@MartinD said: I'd ditch the ocz drives Patrick. I know we've had our run ins in the past but in all honesty, they run like crap. I had a few bottle out within 3 months. Intel's and Samsung's run a lot better.

I'll keep searching on these stuff, I know the Intel 520s are not really powerful but are really reliable piece of SSDs. My DC can't seem to find the 830s anywhere for a reasonable price or something on those lines so 520s/840 Pros or Vectors is the options viable at the moment

Just to confirm you did deploy OCZ Vectors or was it Vertex or something older?

Thanks!

I have test box with our NL DC and it looks promising (Vectors)
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.848628 s, 1.3 GB/s

• I'm running 520's in production without issue. I've got a few 830's too and they run well. 320's running at home and the office..so far so good. The Vectors ran really well for a few months then started dying, quite rapidly too. It may have been a poor batch but it's put me off for now. The price is attractive but when you need to replace them every 3-5 months the higher priced 830's are a more economical choice

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I don't think performance is the issue, but rather longevity. How long has WeServeIT been running them on their own SSD VPSs?

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@Nick_A said: I don't think performance is the issue, but rather longevity. How long has WeServeIT been running them on their own SSD VPSs?

Few weeks I guess so not so much to base off (they are testing themselves), did you ever get 840 Pros to work properly with any of the LSI RAID cards?

I'm refraining from paying few euros less for Intel 520s because would deliver half the speed of Vectors but may have go with them for tested reliability

• If you have any extra, I'd be happy to!

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2013

Plextor M5Ps are excellent SSDs also, worthy of consideration. Based on OCZ's track record, I would turn and run very fast -- but I am interested to see how they do for you.

@Patrick said: I'm refraining from paying few euros less for Intel 520s because would deliver half the speed of Vectors

Here's sort of a sad aspect of the VPS business. Benchmarks tend to be more important to customers that actual real-world performance needs. Never mind that just about nobody NEEDS 60,000 IOPs, much less 600 on a "low-end VPS". Any way you look at it, 520's are light years ahead of just about any mechanical setup.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

They got on hold of some Samsung 830s, we'll be going with them :3

Should be setup by the end of this week, will PM a few over the weekend to test it out.

If you want to test, feel free to post. Still looking for some more people :-)
    (Preferably active member in the community for a while)

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@Patrick said: (Preferably active member in the community for a while)

Not very active in terms of commenting (I'm a lurker lol) but I would be happy to test one out if you would like.

• Samsung >>> ocz

• yey out with shitty ocz and in with the good stuff!

• WeservITWeservIT Member
    edited April 2013

We have a customer who wanted specially the OCZ Vectors, we had doubts about them because we know about the bad history of OCZ. Our customer is running it for almost 4 months without issues now and they perform really good. 1.3GB/s with 4 disks in RAID10. I believe the Vectors are OCZ's new product which are good (finally). They have to because the Vertex series gave a lot of problems. The Indilinx Barefoot V3 controller in the Vectors are manufactured by themselves, the same for the firmware. We also tested Samsung 840 Pro SSDs and Intel 520 SSDs. The Samsungs gave us a lot of trouble, the Intel SSDs work fine but the results on the internet (520MB/sec write speeds) are only with compressive IO. When you do a dd test with 4 disks in RAID10 you will only get ~525MB/sec.
    We have many servers with Samsung 830 SSDs, they are great, but end of life unfortunately. We found a supplier who can supply us 50+ SSDs now.

• krokro Member

Their ocz's, nothing to say these wont last... ok lets get back to the thread nazi's

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

I will pm 2-3 people to test but no more at this time.

We're out of IPs and pending lease of our own block.

• OCZ Vector is good. I've been the sole person promoting it in WHT and seen many people take the advice :p

I always look @ product, not company.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@concerto49 said: OCZ Vector is good. I've been the sole person promoting it in WHT and seen many people take the advice :p

I always look @ product, not company.

We went in the end with Samsung 830s, tried and tested stuff :)

Pleasing results:
    http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/04/25/w8hURfjfRMXnPAxi

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

We've got more IPs, feel free to PM me if you want to test :)

(Active members only)

@MikeIn @taronyu @bcarlsonmedia check inbox in a few :-)

• @Patrick

Atm I'm busy with something else. This week I got vacation so I'm pretty sure I will be able to use it pretty good :)

• :O dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync;
    Result :-
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 0.802423 s, 1.3 GB/s

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.03649 s, 1.0 GB/s

• Using akamaras Script:-

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 3299.891 MHz Total amount of ram : 256 MB Total amount of swap : 256 MB System uptime : 58 min, Download speed : (14.8MB/s) I/O speed : 1.3GB/s