Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH SoYouStart : what's your Santa Claus wishlist ? - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH SoYouStart : what's your Santa Claus wishlist ?

Comments

• Would you consider putting 24gigs (or 12gb) in that W3520 box, given that it's triple-channel?

• Two thumbs up for

W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited January 2018

@wokenwoll said:

@sunnyg said:
    Surprised that Automatic Renewals for Soyoustart is not on your list. Its a feature that you could literally port over from the OVH manager. It would be an extremely valuable quality of life improvement for a lot of the SYS users.

That's the case since +-1 year for new order in europe, and now for CA too.
    when you do an order you can register a payment method and select a duration.
    auto-renew will use those parameters per default.
    Then once logged you can change the duration (1/3/6/12) and the renewal will auto apply based on it.

Hi, I cannot seem to find the option to set auto-renewal anywhere in my account. I will check with the support team if this is an option available on my account. I hope they are on the same wavelength as yourself on this subject. In the past, anything about auto-renewal I used to get the generic reply to buy from OVH instead. If there is an extra option I need to enable that you know about, please do let me know. This is all I see in the "My Services" window in my soyoustart account https://puu.sh/z19P4/2ea770aba3.png

Personally I would love to see all 3 options available, atleast in France.

W3520/ECC16GB/4*2TB // +-35€

1225v2/NoECC16GB/4*2TB // +- 40€

1225v2/NoECC32GB/4*2TB // +-55€

Also is it possible to bring back some of the old offers such as the E3-SSD-4, SYS-IP-5, SYS-IP-6 and E5-SAT-3. I'm sure these must still get cancelled every now and then. Also the option to atleast choose the French DC, i.e. choice of RBX, GRA or SBG would be nice.

Also Leaseweb lets their customers request HDD/RAM changes (upgrades and downgrades), along with a 50euro one time fee for the manual intervention. Would love to see something similar to this at Soyoustart instead of new offers. https://puu.sh/z1a0V/18da568c46.png https://puu.sh/z1a1p/43e3fdd126.png

Most SYS users will drop old servers to buy new ones, and I recall OVH having complaints about customers cancelling old servers to buy new ones which is why they added setup fees. I do not want to pay setup fees for buying servers again personally. So instead of adding new offers, maybe offer SYS customers the option to upgrade hardware? This way users can upgrade 120GB SSD to upto 300GB/480GB, and 2x2TB to upto 4x2TB HDD, and pay the 50euro intervention fee and the relevant monthly price increase.

Also I do not like this offer W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€

Its a waste of rack space and if someone wants a XC 2016, they can just buy one from Online.net. If someone wants a server with 1Gbps 30TB Traffic, they should just buy it from Hetzner. Let Online.net do their thing, Hetzner do their thing and OVH/SYS does their own thing.

For the 12€ SYS offer, they will be either a waste of rack space that could go to better models, or there will be limited quantity available like 150-200 available, which will get sold out in 10 minutes and there will be a lot of people left complaining.

Also everyone that wants a similar Bandwidth plan to Hetzner servers, that is what OVH used to have before 2013. I've been checking out OVH offers since 2009, and since 2009-13 I recall servers to have:

5-40TB outgoing traffic to non-OVH

Unlimited incoming traffic

Unlimited outgoing traffic to OVH

https://puu.sh/z1aj4/878f18dce6.png

https://puu.sh/z1ajw/161f4d2142.png

I don't see why would OVH go back to how it was when 2009. They realized their bandwidth model was flawed so they offered the new model in 2013. It was flawed because all it did was congest the internal OVH network with thousands of seedbox users and hundreds of seedbox resellers. If anything, expect Hetzner and Online.net to follow suit in the next few years. Bandwidth is only going to get expensive here on out.

Like I said, if someone wants a SYS server similar to Online.net, buy directly from Online.net. If someone wants a SYS server similar to Hetzner, buy directly from Hetzner. Instead if we can focus on the core quality of life issues with Soyoustart, that would be more useful.

PS. I apologize to LET for my unpopular opinions.

• Have competent guys at abuse that won't take down 4 servers because of BitNinjas..
    Other than that dual e5 s v1 or v2( would not mind a setup fee)

• @wokenwoll the 12 euro one is quite nice, maybe a 1TB hdd version would be nice.

Also what about the possibility of the ARM with 4T under 10?

• Nihim said:

Also what about the possibility of the ARM with 4T under 10?

Woah, first thought "unlikely", but why not. Annual plan for something like that would be fine.

• I hope you can let me buy VPS of OVH
    I come from the mainland of China

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

sunnyg said: Hi, I cannot seem to find the option to set auto-renewal anywhere in my account. I will check with the support team if this is an option available on my account. I hope they are on the same wavelength as yourself on this subject. In the past, anything about auto-renewal I used to get the generic reply to buy from OVH instead. If there is an extra option I need to enable that you know about, please do let me know. This is all I see in the "My Services" window in my soyoustart account https://puu.sh/z19P4/2ea770aba3.png

Auto-renew is a European USSR. As it is good that there is no such thing in the CIS.

sunnyg said: Also Leaseweb lets their customers request HDD/RAM changes (upgrades and downgrades), along with a 50euro one time fee for the manual intervention. Would love to see something similar to this at Soyoustart instead of new offers

Overpriced servers. They have only 75 thousand servers in 20 years, which is very weak.

sunnyg said: Most SYS users will drop old servers to buy new ones, and I recall OVH having complaints about customers cancelling old servers to buy new ones which is why they added setup fees. I do not want to pay setup fees for buying servers again personally. So instead of adding new offers, maybe offer SYS customers the option to upgrade hardware? This way users can upgrade 120GB SSD to upto 300GB/480GB, and 2x2TB to upto 4x2TB HDD, and pay the 50euro intervention fee and the relevant monthly price increase.

Processors are able to become obsolete. Disks are also aging. Here's why make a setup fee? Iron is getting more expensive, is it?
    Just on SYS the flow of people went after the cancellation of the installation fee.
    SYS is not new servers, but servers from the main OVH server line.

sunnyg said: I don't see why would OVH go back to how it was when 2009. They realized their bandwidth model was flawed so they offered the new model in 2013. It was flawed because all it did was congest the internal OVH network with thousands of seedbox users and hundreds of seedbox resellers. If anything, expect Hetzner and Online.net to follow suit in the next few years. Bandwidth is only going to get expensive here on out.

The data center does not need to sell servers of course. Why all the resellers, do not need to profit. We will make space prices so that no one would buy just everything. Solving all problems.

sunnyg said: If anything, expect Hetzner and Online.net to follow suit in the next few years. Bandwidth is only going to get expensive here on out.

This will not happen. They do not care. Online.net can not repair the cancellation for 4 months already. Servers can not be sold on the side, it is possible to fly into money.

Here's how the invoices in Hetzner look like:

A monthly invoices requires dozens of accounts for CIS people. Limits on banks and other garbage. In remote countries, there are also server clients. And it would be because in OVH that the link to extend, 1 account would have to be.

Plus for each account need bank card.

In online.net, too. For example, one and the same bank card can not be added to two accounts. Different Paypal accounts are necessary, as too, do not add the same to your account. It's HORRIBLE NOT COMFORTABLE, selling it.

1000 servers are 42 thousand euros.

In Russia, Ukraine and other countries it is not possible to store large amounts and pay them. Even 1000 euros is already a lot of papers and problems. It's simply impossible to pay 4000 euro for 1 invoice. Through such things bank cards visa/mastercard about 300 pieces.

In Runet use webmoney/qiwi/yandex/bitcoin. Bank cards are not practically used and PayPal.

On the piece to renew as in OVH simply and conveniently. I can safely renew the servers at any time. And if I not paid the server, server will stop, and after 5 days deleted.

So if Hetzner does something like this here: https://www.ovh.ie/cgi-bin/order/renew.cgi there will be a bunch of servers available, not just trusted people.

• michaelsmichaels Member
    edited January 2018

@wokenwoll said:

sunnyg said: That's great do you happen to know if this can be done for existing Soyoustart servers (i.e. setup auto-renewal for them?)

SoYouStart > Control Panel > Billing > My Service > Edit

You'll be able to chose 1/3/6/12 month(s) for the renew period.

I don't see this on my SyS server :/ Only have a cancel option. I did message them about it and they said you couldn't do it and that it wasn't on the roadmap and to use OVH. (EU user here)

• @michaels said:

@wokenwoll said:

sunnyg said: That's great do you happen to know if this can be done for existing Soyoustart servers (i.e. setup auto-renewal for them?)

SoYouStart > Control Panel > Billing > My Service > Edit

You'll be able to chose 1/3/6/12 month(s) for the renew period.

I don't see this on my SyS server :/ Only have a cancel option. I did message them about it and they said you couldn't do it and that it wasn't on the roadmap and to use OVH. (EU user here)

Yup same thing with every SYS user I've checked with. No auto-renewal available on SYS IE/UK/CA. Auto-renewal should be the #1 thing on the road-map. Would be great if @wokenwoll could elaborate on this a bit more.

edited January 2018

sunnyg said: Auto-renewal should be the #1 thing on the road-map.

Auto-renew will kill a whole bunch of sales people. If you want an auto-renewal creek account on OVH FR.

michaels said: I don't see this on my SyS server :/ Only have a cancel option. I did message them about it and they said you couldn't do it and that it wasn't on the roadmap and to use OVH. (EU user here)

You probably treat customers what they pay on the last day, and not in advance so that nothing is deleted. Or are you so busy that you can not allocate 10 minutes to renew all the servers? Then the question is what you can do to be so busy?

• Australia so you start :P

Thanked by 1IncognitoBurrito
  • WHTWHT Member

When comes santa claus in germany? Seems this is more marjeting thread as something else.

• @Vova1234 said:

sunnyg said: Auto-renewal should be the #1 thing on the road-map.

Auto-renew will kill a whole bunch of sales people. If you want an auto-renewal creek account on OVH FR.

michaels said: I don't see this on my SyS server :/ Only have a cancel option. I did message them about it and they said you couldn't do it and that it wasn't on the roadmap and to use OVH. (EU user here)

You probably treat customers what they pay on the last day, and not in advance so that nothing is deleted. Or are you so busy that you can not allocate 10 minutes to renew all the servers? Then the question is what you can do to be so busy?

Not a question of being to busy, I am not sure where you got that from. It's a question of convenience. It's easy to manage in my accounts, it's easier to manage in a paypal subscription or continuous card authority, it's easier not to forget to do it! I work in IT, where you aim to automate everything that is repeatable so not to make mistakes and to allow us to do more time. I pay almost all my bills by recurring payment; mobile, broadband, power, mortgage, my other VPSes...

edited January 2018

michaels said: I work in IT, where you aim to automate everything that is repeatable so not to make mistakes and to allow us to do more time. I pay almost all my bills by recurring payment; mobile, broadband, power, mortgage, my other VPSes...

I work in IT too. Mortgage never took, I do not know what it is.
    Electricity and other utilities in each have a balance, replenished the balance and use.
    Internet is also on balance, threw balance and use. And do not compare utility bills for hosting services.

VPS I think the garbage is weak and do not use it.
    Servers buy from dozens of data centers and the most convenient payment for them is only in OVH without auto-renewal.

Example panel without selecting SYS FR. So, register with SYS FR. There is an auto-renew. Do not impose your auto-renewal on other branches(IE).

• @Vova1234 said:

michaels said: I work in IT, where you aim to automate everything that is repeatable so not to make mistakes and to allow us to do more time. I pay almost all my bills by recurring payment; mobile, broadband, power, mortgage, my other VPSes...

Electricity and other utilities in each have a balance, replenished the balance and use.
    Internet is also on balance, threw balance and use. And do not compare utility bills for hosting services.

Servers buy from dozens of data centers and the most convenient payment for them is only in OVH without auto-renewal.

Example panel without selecting SYS FR. So, register with SYS FR. There is an auto-renew. Do not impose your auto-renewal on other branches(IE).

I think you're under the impression that auto-renewal is a mandatory feature and once added, you'd be forced to auto-renew every server (like Online.net)? If you check OVH.ie, auto-renewal is an optional feature, can be enabled/disabled for select servers. I'm sure it can't be hard to simply port that feature from the OVH panel to the soyoustart panel.

edited January 2018

@sunnyg said:

@Vova1234 said:

I think you're under the impression that auto-renewal is a mandatory feature and once added, you'd be forced to auto-renew every server (like Online.net)? If you check OVH.ie, auto-renewal is an optional feature, can be enabled/disabled for select servers. I'm sure it can't be hard to simply port that feature from the OVH panel to the soyoustart panel.

On OVH FR - can disable auto, renew the link too.

On Kimsufi FR - it is not possible to disable, you can not extend the server by reference

On SoYouStart FR - it is not possible to disable, you can not extend the server by reference

On OVH IE - can be extended by reference

On Kimsufi IE - there is no auto-renewal, you can renew the link

On SoYouStart IE - there is no auto-renewal, you can renew the link

To me, these auto-renew of the USSR are being pulled down in a pure form. Europe is a big USSR.

• As far as I can tell I have FR Kimsufi/SYS accounts, and all my stuff is automatically renewed. I'd actually prefer to disable that and manually do it, but it isn't a huge deal.

Thanked by 1Vova1234
  • @wokenwoll so when any of this happening ?

• @hammad said:
    @wokenwoll so when any of this happening ?

Answer thursday about the planning. need to confirm some points with supply chain.

• Auto renew isn't that big a deal for me. It can never be 100% reliable as long as you're paying by credit card or paypal or whatever. Sometimes a card payment just randomly triggers a fraud check and doesn't go through and you have to call the card company to get it straightened out. Sometimes the card company has its head up its ass and fixing the failed payment can take days. Meanwhile your server is expiring, maybe getting suspended, deleted, etc.

I like that OVH lets you pay 3-6-12 months at a time instead of every month, so you don't have to deal with payment randomness as often, and you can pay well in advance of the due date so you have time to fix any problems that might happen. Online.net can only autobill, every month, when the payment is due, so if something goes wrong you are in trouble. This is especially stupid with their supposedly super duper reliable C14 storage archiving product. It can never be completely reliable as long as the auto payment is a single point of failure.

I realize the above is not SYS specific but still wanted to say why I find advance payment more important than autopay.

• @wokenwoll said:

@hammad said:

Answer thursday about the planning. need to confirm some points with supply chain.

So for :

1. W3520/ECC16GB/4*2TB // +-35€ => ETA first week of february for FR DC. no ETA for CA DC
    2. W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€ => will be on KS, end of february
  • fLoofLoo Member
    edited January 2018

@wokenwoll : I like the 4*2 offer. Will there be a way to get 1gbit internal transfer speeds in near future?

• sinsin Member

wokenwoll said: W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€ => will be on KS, end of february

Awesome! Will certainly be on the lookout for these

• wokenwoll said: W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€ => will be on KS, end of february

• XeiXei Member

@wokenwoll said:

@wokenwoll said:

@hammad said:

So for :

1. W3520/ECC16GB/4*2TB // +-35€ => ETA first week of february for FR DC. no ETA for CA DC

Btw, OVH have no strategy to complete with their competitors that offer gbit port speeds? Even 500mbit?

• wokenwoll said: W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€ => will be on KS, end of february

Please add ECC even if you have to raise the price slightly. Otherwise there's not much point to using a Xeon instead of an i3 or whatever. We need a cheap ECC server.

Thanked by 1lion
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

wokenwoll said: W3520/NoECC16GB/1x240SDD/250Mbps // +-12€ => will be on KS, end of february

Please add ECC even if you have to raise the price slightly. Otherwise there's not much point to using a Xeon instead of an i3 or whatever. We need a cheap ECC server.

What's the matter, @willie, your memory starting to fail on ya?

• @wokenwoll said:

@wokenwoll said:

@hammad said:

>

Noooo, if it is on kimsufi we can't get ip-failover. Thats a hudge bolux.

• @Xei said:
    Btw, OVH have no strategy to complete with their competitors that offer gbit port speeds? Even 500mbit?

we have, but on OVH.com :)
    As said before we will increase the BW for SyS E5-* range, but i have no ETA.