Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mini colo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mini colo

Posting in "general" rather than "requests" because this is a market query rather than something I want to do immediately. Maybe pretty soon though, if there's good hosting possibilities.

I'm potentially interested in colo'ing a small server like this one which resembles a souped up Raspberry Pi 3 with a laptop hard drive. It's the size of a paperback book with max power draw about 20 watts according to the graph in the tech spec tab.

Network: 5TB of transfer is sufficient. Gbit port is desirable but 100mbit is ok. 1x ipv4 is desirable but can live with ipv6-only.

Budget: is $25 realistic?

Comments

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

For something that unusual, you will probably have an issue getting a datacenter to talk to you.

Your budget for what you want is reasonable. If Dallas TX location works for you, PM me.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Just out of curiosity, given that you can get aged dedicated boxes with far more horse power for similar money, why would you want to colo something like that ?

Thanked by 1Xei
  • just to let you know, the HC-1 only boots off SD, and the SD card is jutting out about 1cm from one end which is an accident waiting to happen. also if you need a dc tech to go hands-on with it because it is unconnectable, you need a special usb-uart adapter

I regret buying one. Odroid makes some cool stuff, but this one is poorly designed

Thanked by 1willie
  • JeffH_WX said: given that you can get aged dedicated boxes with far more horse power for similar money, why would you want to colo something like that ?

Higher storage capacity and ownership of the hard drive. A US dedi with 4TB or 5TB of drive space for $25/month doesn't sound easy to find. You're right that this might not be such a wise scheme though.

texteditor said: I regret buying one. Odroid makes some cool stuff, but this one is poorly designed

Thanks, this is good to know, yeah that does make it sound worse for DC use. I'll check around for alternatives. Still might get one to use at home, if those are the only issues.

ramnet said: If Dallas TX location works for you, PM me.

Thanks, will keep that in mind, may take you up on it sometime though not right now.

Thanked by 1Aidan