Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner a good choice for file sharing site startup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner a good choice for file sharing site startup?

flexzoneflexzone Member
edited January 2018 in Requests

I'm looking to startup a free file-sharing site like mega.co.nz and I really need servers that can provide large SATA HDD space, a Gigbit port and lots of allowed bandwidth, if not unmetered.

I'm willing to sacrifice CPU and RAM for HDD and Bandwidth hehe

I see some good deals on Hetzner auctions but I'm not sure they are a good choice for file-sharing site.

Comments

• Lol no. You'll get thrown out as soon as there are issues with DDOS or copyright complaints.

• flexzoneflexzone Member
    edited January 2018

well hell. thanks for the quick response. im guessing OneProvider/Online.net are just as bad when it comes to file sharing?

• No, they are not. Avoid Germany if you expect copyright complaints.

Thanked by 3flexzone Ympker pike
  • I see some cheap servers in Paris, France. I prefer Netherlands but I'll probably go with Paris for now if they are pretty good. Just bought one in Paris $37/mo. 4TB, 16GB RAM, Intel i3, 100TB bandwidth, 1 Gbit port. Doubt i'll find a better deal than that

• @flexzone said:
    I see some cheap servers in Paris, France. I prefer Netherlands but I'll probably go with Paris for now if they are pretty good. Just bought one in Paris $37/mo. 4TB, 16GB RAM, Intel i3, 100TB bandwidth, 1 Gbit port. Doubt i'll find a better deal than that

Share your site with us so we can see when it shows 404. Anyway gl. Hope you have something to gain from it because the odds of you getting into trouble are not that low I guess.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Who's that with?

• @Mr_Tom said:
    Who's that with?

The trouble? Law people. I mean be serious how many legal files can you find on any given file host? About 5 which are probably test files.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Sorry, another post came in while I replied lol.

Mine was directed at OP finding a cheap servers, wondered who the provider was.

Probably should have quoted/tagged.

• They got rid of me pretty quickly and the only public torrent sites I used were for Anime. lol

• WSSWSS Member

@Ewok said:
    They got rid of me pretty quickly and the only public torrent sites I used were for Anime. lol

Why would you admit to this? At least pretend to be stealing Windows or something.

• I know. I feel disgusting.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2018

flexzone said: I'm looking to startup a free file-sharing site like mega.co.nz and I really need servers that can provide large SATA HDD space, a Gigbit port and lots of allowed bandwidth, if not unmetered.

I'm willing to sacrifice CPU and RAM for HDD and Bandwidth hehe

I see some good deals on Hetzner auctions but I'm not sure they are a good choice for file-sharing site.

Before you even consider running a site like this you should consider getting a good lawyer on retainer. If you try to offer any copyrighted works on your site (or even unknowingly host copyrighted works on your servers) you are easily going to see lots of DMCA / Takedown notices / complaints arriving daily. Any good provider after about 5-6 of these complaints will start giving you problems unless, you're with some host that specifically doesn't comply with these types of requests. NO cheap host is going to be willing to put up with that type of stuff, including Hetzner, Online.net, OVH and the usual suspects, especially if you are talking about a public site usable by all such as mega.co.nz is.

Before you even begin going down the route of trying to do this, again, I would have a good lawyer so you can understand your rights and have them work with you to develop a protocol to best handle such requests. Then you will need to develop a relationship with a provider letting them know your intentions and be willing to spend the large sums of money that will be needed to handle processing of complaints, file removal requests, bandwidth and DDOS protection for when you refuse to take down a file (complaint or not) and they start hitting you with gigabit upon gigabit to take you offline.

As you can see there is a bit more to think about here than just finding a server and slapping a site up on it.

Now, of course, things change drastically if this is a private site for you and your friends which you require a password to access and doesn't directly expose what its used for publicly. In this case, as long as you're not abusive you could likely do this on almost any host. Hosting stuff publicly though is a whole other ball game which I am not sure you would be ready to handle.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1CrossBox
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited January 2018

How about having something like http://file.idfl.me ? You don't host the file on your server. The file hosted on Google Drive. Whenever a user want to download a file, he needs to login with his Google account , the file will be copied to his Google drive and, he will download the file from his own Google drive.

Who need space when you got Google Drive.

• This is 2018, not 2008, and you missed the bus 10 years ago.

yokowasis said: Who need space when you got Google Drive.

Dumb idea. Now copyright complaints go to Google now.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    How about having something like http://file.idfl.me ? You don't host the file on your server. The file hosted on Google Drive. Whenever a user want to download a file, he needs to login with his Google account , the file will be copied to his Google drive and, he will download the file from his own Google drive.

Who need space when you got Google Drive.

Seems legit.

• @doughmanes said:
    This is 2018, not 2008, and you missed the bus 10 years ago.

yokowasis said: Who need space when you got Google Drive.

Dumb idea. Now copyright complaints go to Google now.

Exactly the point. As long as our server is save. Technically no file is hosted on our server. 1 file will be duplicated into 100 file when downloaded by 100 people. Good luck DMCAing 100 same files with different link.

• yokowasis said: Exactly the point. As long as our server is save. Technically no file is hosted on our server. 1 file will be duplicated into 100 file when downloaded by 100 people. Good luck DMCAing 100 same files with different link.

You don't think Google checksums offending files?

You file sharing people are trying to compete with shoeproxies with being the most irrelevant posts on LET

Thanked by 3maverickp MasonR Aidan
  • For startup i'll suggest you to go with hetzner/netcup/ovh.

• TomTom Member

@someshzade said:
    For startup i'll suggest you to go with hetzner/netcup/ovh.

Hetzner/Netcup are German - definitely not wise for a file sharing site.

Thanked by 2doughmanes that_guy
  • Tom said: Hetzner/Netcup are German - definitely not wise for a file sharing site.

I think the idea was that an unwise question deserved an unwise answer ;).

• TheLinuxBug said: NO cheap host is going to be willing to put up with that type of stuff, including Hetzner, Online.net, OVH and the usual suspects,

Hetzner is well known for being strict about such stuff but I thought OVH was well known as a look-the-other-way seedbox host. Those file sharing sites do exist somewhere and I doubt they're using expensive hosting so I have to wonder where they are. It's not my thing though, so I haven't looked into it.

• @doughmanes said:

yokowasis said: Exactly the point. As long as our server is save. Technically no file is hosted on our server. 1 file will be duplicated into 100 file when downloaded by 100 people. Good luck DMCAing 100 same files with different link.

You don't think Google checksums offending files?

You file sharing people are trying to compete with shoeproxies with being the most irrelevant posts on LET

Probably. Be that as it may, the files is not hosted in our server. We don't need to worry about disk space. or get DMCA'ed because some random guy decide to upload some shit on our server. It's not like they will be uploading the files to our server.

If Google decided to take down the files, so be it. it's not really our problem. it's not even our files in the first place.

• Yeah you know how AUP/TOS now with respectable providers prohibit linking to questionable shit?

• I still stand by my comment of you missed the file sharing site train by 10 years

Thanked by 1willie
  • yokowasis said: Be that as it may, the files is not hosted in our server. We don't need to worry

Ah, the naivety of youth. You've obviously never heard of the Pirate Bay, which didn't directly host files either.

Thanked by 2doughmanes MasonR
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@flexzone How about purchasing a reseller or disk from Mega.co. type site which will allow you to host file on their server? You can use their API or something to upload files via your site and manage user's content.

No one is going to close their eye when they will receive copyright claim even major file sharing site take action so you will be need to remove it and try to not allow copyright contents.

• Also while some are focused on legality, no hosting company is going to keep a customer who generates constant, often automated, abuse complaints (unless you're paying thousands of dollars a month).

I've kicked a customer out from a past company for scraping resumes to post on his "job site" and people who got scraped would call in a panic saying their resume on the site was the first hit on Google.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This is like trying to set up a silver mine on a depleted copper vein.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • ServerHand

Thanked by 1doughmanes