Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i7 2600 WSI Equivalent
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i7 2600 WSI Equivalent

Hi,

I'm just shopping around to see if there are providers that can match (closely) to what WSI offers with the i7 2660.

i7 2660
16GB RAM
1TB HD
1Gbps Port
100TB bandwidth
/29
USA

$30/month

I'd like to stick to a 1Gbps port and somewhat higher bandwidth thresholds. I do understand I'm asking for the bottom of the barrel. I am flexible +/- $10 ($15 stretch if amazing). I would prefer to keep in the USA, location is not important. HD space is negotiable, can deal with 500GB if necessary, non-SSD.

I've been shopping around on WHT and it looks like JoesDC is probably one of the closest I'll find with their Intel i5-3570K offering.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Hetzner but its Germany. Look at their server auctions.

• WSSWSS Member

@doughmanes said:
    Hetzner but its Germany. Look at their server auctions.

Not for the past month. Shoeminers snagged up anything worthwhile, and the cheapest i7s are about #30 with shit storage and RAM.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Not an i7, but QuickPacket has E3-1270v1 for $40 or E3-1270v2 for $45 if that helps.

• @qps said:
    Not an i7, but QuickPacket has E3-1270v1 for $40 or E3-1270v2 for $45 if that helps.

That would definitely work. Are there additional details for those machines?

• QuickPacket is well reviewed. Solid network.

daxterfellowes said: Are there additional details for those machines?

Yes. Most of them have SuperMicro X9SCI-LN4F motherboard, 4x drive bays, default config is either a single 1TB hard drive or a single 128GB SSD. /29 IPv4, /64 IPv6, KVM over IP / IPMI included.

• @qps said:

daxterfellowes said: Are there additional details for those machines?

Yes. Most of them have SuperMicro X9SCI-LN4F motherboard, 4x drive bays, default config is either a single 1TB hard drive or a single 128GB SSD. /29 IPv4, /64 IPv6, KVM over IP / IPMI included.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@qps said:
    Please keep in mind we do not allow mining, if that is what you're planning to use the boxes for (TOS: http://www.quickpacket.com/tos.html).

Even on dedicated hardware? Interesting (Not that an E3-1270 is great for passmarks). I'll certainly be looking to your lower-end machines when I go back to dedi rentals.

WSS said: Even on dedicated hardware? Interesting (Not that an E3-1270 is great for passmarks). I'll certainly be looking to your lower-end machines when I go back to dedi rentals.

We've been through several cycles of the mining craze and it just causes more problems than it is worth, which is why we've decided to not allow it.

• @WSS said:

@qps said:
    Please keep in mind we do not allow mining, if that is what you're planning to use the boxes for (TOS: http://www.quickpacket.com/tos.html).

Even on dedicated hardware? Interesting (Not that an E3-1270 is great for passmarks). I'll certainly be looking to your lower-end machines when I go back to dedi rentals.

I guess they are worried about their electricity bills:

1. For dedicated server customers, if the Customer's server uses more electricity than the average dedicated server of similar specification utilizes due to the Customer's use of the server (including, but not limited to activities such as cryptocoin mining), QuickPacket reserves the right to bill the customer for the increased electricty usage. QuickPacket also reserves the right to retroactively remove any promotional pricing as the result of abnormal electricity usage.
    Thanked by 1Aidan
  • WSSWSS Member

@spammy said:
    I guess they are worried about their electricity bills:

..and any hardware damaged by excessive heat, et al. Forbid.

spammy said: I guess they are worried about their electricity bills

This provision was what we added first before we just totally disallowed mining. We left it in there as whatever comes next after mining could cause similar problems.

For customers who aren't mining or otherwise abusing the hardware, there isn't really anything to be concerned about.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@qps said:
    For customers who aren't mining or otherwise abusing the hardware, there isn't really anything to be concerned about.

What about distributed.net? I like to throw a few cycles at that when I can, because it's actually somewhat useful information, even if I'll never use it in my lifetime.

That said, I don't let it use 100% idle time.

@WSS said:

@qps said:

What about distributed.net? I like to throw a few cycles at that when I can, because it's actually somewhat useful information, even if I'll never use it in my lifetime.

That said, I don't let it use 100% idle time.

We obviously don't have huge margins on a server at $40 or $45 per month, and if you start using a ton of extra electricity, it can make the margins even more thin. I think similar to the LET rule: don't be a dick. If you follow that, you probably won't attract our attention.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

Meh, I don't like this, the idea of a dedicated server is that you can stop worrying about noisy neighbors etc and use as much cpu as you want. I'd rather that you just priced dedis to cover the electricity for 100% cpu. That's what any sane small dedi host does. Very big hosts like Hetzner might rely on statistical averaging but that means they are basically overselling electricity, so they're taking a hit right now because of the mining idiocy, but hopefully they can afford it.

If you can post a price for a 1270v2 with no cpu limits that would be great. 3 months advance payment is fine and should keep miners away since coin prices are so volatile they shouldn't commit to that long.

@willie said:
    Meh, I don't like this, the idea of a dedicated server is that you can stop worrying about noisy neighbors etc and use as much cpu as you want. I'd rather that you just priced dedis to cover the electricity for 100% cpu. That's what any sane small dedi host does. Very big hosts like Hetzner might rely on statistical averaging but that means they are basically overselling electricity, so they're taking a hit right now because of the mining idiocy, but hopefully they can afford it.

If you can post a price for a 1270v2 with no cpu limits that would be great. 3 months advance payment is fine and should keep miners away since coin prices are so volatile they shouldn't commit to that long.

We don't have CPU limits. We just don't allow mining. If you intend to peg the CPU to 100% all the time, I'd like to know what your specific use case is and we can discuss if pricing will differ from what I stated above. If you don't want to share it publicly, feel free to PM.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

I don't do mining. The idea of buying a dedi is to simply not have to account to anyone for my cpu use (data analysis). I routinely do 100% cpu 24/7 tasks for days or occasionally weeks at a time, but not 365 days/year (i.e. it's idle when those tasks aren't running). There's also a semi-unrelated archive preparation task that I run 1x a month, that takes 8 or so hours at 100% cpu.

I might have 20% load on my Hetzner box averaged over the few years that I've had it. But if I get interested in training a machine learning model or doing a huge media conversion or something like that, I don't want to have to ask anyone's permission or pay extra. I'm used to the idea of overselling CPU on VPS's, but overselling CPU on a dedi is a completely novel idea to me.

I also sometimes take note of short-term dedi offers (like GT's $5 a day dedis) in case I want to run a big parallel task, and again that would be 24/7 cpu.

• Dedicated should mean dedicated, power costs etc should be factored in.

• yup, but again is LET , providers here are full of surprises. Welcome to the LET market.

@lurch said:
    Dedicated should mean dedicated, power costs etc should be factored in.

• we need a list of real dedicated providers vs fake ones.

• quickquick Member
    edited January 2018

qps is selling dedicated ovz, can't hammer the cpu on a dedicated server. Lmao

quick said: qps is selling dedicated ovz, can't hammer the cpu on a dedicated server. Lmao

All of the dedicated servers we sell are fully dedicated/bare metal. There is no slabbing with OpenVZ or anything else. I'm not sure where that is coming from.

As I mentioned, we don't want miners because they generally make for bad customers. The last time they came through and rented hundreds of machines, many of them disappeared owing us thousands of dollars. We had some that disputed payments or initiated chargebacks after it was no longer profitable to CPU mine. We don't want this to repeat, as it is far more hassle than it is worth, which is why we have the restrictions. We have not charged someone extra for using 100% CPU on a dedicated server. We only have the provisions in the TOS to encourage miners and other similar behavior to look elsewhere.

Thanked by 1mfs
  • It all came from your reply above where it states that ... since miners most likely will use 100% the CPU day and night, power consumption might be higher making your earnings thinner.

We all know that such limitation is not normal. People buy dedicated to hammer them however they want in terms of CPU, Memory and Disk. Bandwidth is different.

The fact that miners cannot buy your services, since mining is not an illegal activity (is not torrenting copyrighted content) is kind of a let down and raises lots of concerns. You are basically dividing the dedicated servers industry.
    -Real dedicated servers
    -VPS like dedicated servers with CPU limitations.

When in reality like someone mentioned above, power consumption should be included in the price.

IMO stop offering super cheap dedi servers if people can't hammer CPU all day. After all that's the only reason why people buy dedicated servers, to threat resources however they want.

@qps said:

quick said: qps is selling dedicated ovz, can't hammer the cpu on a dedicated server. Lmao

All of the dedicated servers we sell are fully dedicated/bare metal. There is no slabbing with OpenVZ or anything else. I'm not sure where that is coming from.

As I mentioned, we don't want miners because they generally make for bad customers. The last time they came through and rented hundreds of machines, many of them disappeared owing us thousands of dollars. We had some that disputed payments or initiated chargebacks after it was no longer profitable to CPU mine. We don't want this to repeat, as it is far more hassle than it is worth, which is why we have the restrictions. We have not charged someone extra for using 100% CPU on a dedicated server. We only have the provisions in the TOS to encourage miners and other similar behavior to look elsewhere.

• Lol. A dedicated server is dedicated for a reason. Sounds like a scam to me. What's next?

• I'm glad to see @qps offering a great price for LA-based dedi and communicating clearly in advance some restriction on usage that allows them to continue to offer this option in a sustainable way. Makes sense to me - plenty of other places to look if that deal is not for you, in my opinion.

@Hxxx I understand if you don't like the restriction on mining. I think we explained our rationale for the restrictions. It's a business decision we made during the last mining craze back 4+ years ago. In the past 4+ years since we put this in place, we've not had a single customer who has been charged more, or even a customer who has asked about the provisions in the TOS. I only mention it now because of the uptick in requests for servers for mining. If you want to mine, we can discuss potentially making that work, but it won't be at promotional pricing.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • dahartigan said: Sounds like a scam to me.

According to their site they've been around coming up on 15 years and they don't do those stupid 3 year VPS plans like the new craze is with providers not even established a year. The policy might not be great to some but using the term "scam" is crossing the line.

• @doughmanes said:

dahartigan said: Sounds like a scam to me.

According to their site they've been around coming up on 15 years and they don't do those stupid 3 year VPS plans like the new craze is with providers not even established a year. The policy might not be great to some but using the term "scam" is crossing the line.

I see your point. Would you pay these guys for a dedi, knowing they are the only provider that keeps tabs on CPU usage on a dedicated server?

Premium scam. Scam.

Yes, I mine on my dedis. All of them. 24/7. I would never buy from from him (which is good because he doesn't like miners) :p

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

qps said:
    As I mentioned, we don't want miners because they generally make for bad customers. ... We had some that disputed payments or initiated chargebacks

Yeah that doesn't surprise me, it's why I suggested 3 month advance payment as an anti-mining measure, but maybe that still doesn't stop chargebacks. I'm personally happy to pay by check/money order/some other chargeback-free method but maybe that would be a barrier to other customers. (Or heh, cryptocurrency, though I don't use it myself).

We have not charged someone extra for using 100% CPU on a dedicated server. We only have the provisions in the TOS to encourage miners and other similar behavior to look elsewhere.

I'm sorry but that sounds like Incero, whose MO seems to be to write a ridiculous TOS and then usually not enforce it, as a way to throw out customers or charge them extra at whim. I'm all for DBAD but would prefer to keep things relaxed.

Anyway, I find the anti-mining restriction philosophically troubling but I'm not bothered by it much in practice, since miners annoy me too. However, CPU restrictions on a dedi come across to me as intolerable: what else is the purpose of a dedi? I currently have 6 or 7 dedis that are mostly idle (used mainly for storage), yet I still couldn't accept such restrictions.

I could live with the Hetzner colo approach, where the colo slot costs $X/month including bandwidth but with no electricity, and electricity costs $Y/kwh additional. So people can use as much cpu as they like but are told up front what it will cost them. If you can set something like that up I'd be interested to see the figures.

This discussion has been closed.