Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email hosting

Are there decent options for free hosted email equivalent to what is included with most shared hosting?

The motivation is to make any hosting migrations easier, and to separate hosting and email servers to avoid leaking IP, as per CloudFlare's warning/recommendation when setting the DNS and CDN. I expect there will be very little, if any, usage but would like to set it up for a few (2-3) domains.

Zoho (possible for non-business?) and Migadu seem interesting. Comments/suggestions?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

No.

• Any experience? I am running out of free first year of privateemail.com (namecheap)

• WSSWSS Member

@quick Just suck it up and toss @jarland $10 and forget about it.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

The free hosted e-mail providers that let you use your domain just suck, one way or another, eventually. Namecheap has some like super cheap email plan don't they? I thought they had a $10-20/year one but maybe I'm thinking about web hosting. Zoho free is "OK" but last time I used it, about 2 years ago, I had numerous problems with it not sending/receiving e-mails at random times.

Thanked by 1justscheduled
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I personally tried their services, very basic. Better off with G suite.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2018

@WebProject said:

I personally tried their services, very basic. Better off with G suite.

I recently switched my last domain (dawgy.pw) to GSuite. Google Mail is miles ahead of Zoho and it makes me wonder why I stuck with them for so long. Having said that, $5/mo for email is expensive (but really worth it if you need proper email haha).

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • If it were for anything serious I would go with mxroute, but this is for small personal sites where I expect essentially no email activity, and I don't wish to pay anything.

My options right now are either: 1) try free email host(s) or 2) stick with email hosting at the webserver. Not sure which is worse.

• WSSWSS Member

It's this thread.

Thanked by 2WebProject MrH
  • @WSS said:

Livin la vida broka

• @quick said:

@WSS said:

Livin la vida broka

I think that mxroute may still offer their classic plan for a one-time fee of $5 if your email needs are modest.

• @angstrom said:

@quick said:

@WSS said:

Livin la vida broka

I think that mxroute may still offer their classic plan for a one-time fee of $5 if your email needs are modest.

Yea, sniped the 5$ package

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Check Soverin, they are not free but they have got their own reason too.

• @angstrom said:

What's the difference with classic?

I noticed that plan too but it's just for 1 domain (I'd want 2-5), no DKIM (not sure if that's important), and no server side filters (no idea what that means).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@depricated said:

@angstrom said:

I noticed that plan too but it's just for 1 domain (I'd want 2-5), no DKIM (not sure if that's important), and no server side filters (no idea what that means).

If you just want basic email that works, high quality inbox delivery for next to nothing (be nice with it please, my limits are not hard set and I ask that you pay more if you send hundreds/thousands of emails per day), and no bells and whistles then you want the classic plans.

Ideally the classic plans are for people who already know what it is. It's basically the first product we released, re-released for people who said they didn't want all of the features or the higher prices that came with them. It's basically stripped down VestaCP with MailChannels for outbound email.

• @jarland said:
    If you just want basic email that works, high quality inbox delivery for next to nothing (be nice with it please, my limits are not hard set and I ask that you pay more if you send hundreds/thousands of emails per day), and no bells and whistles then you want the classic plans.

Ideally the classic plans are for people who already know what it is. It's basically the first product we released, re-released for people who said they didn't want all of the features or the higher prices that came with them. It's basically stripped down VestaCP with MailChannels for outbound email.

What are the non-basic bells and whistles? On the page for the classic plans I did notice the comment which makes the decision for me: "DKIM and server side filters not supported. If you don't know what this is, you should not order it"

For the foreseeable future, I doubt I will even average 1 email per day across domains. For now it's mostly just an exercise in learning and setting things up, which is why I've been looking for free options.

P.S. @jarland your wonderful cyber monday deal in your sig is out of stock...

• @MikeA said:
    The free hosted e-mail providers that let you use your domain just suck, one way or another, eventually. Namecheap has some like super cheap email plan don't they? I thought they had a $10-20/year one but maybe I'm thinking about web hosting. Zoho free is "OK" but last time I used it, about 2 years ago, I had numerous problems with it not sending/receiving e-mails at random times.

Looks like Zoho have improved since then, I am also using them for some domains and it works fine.

• @cyberpersons said:
    Looks like Zoho have improved since then, I am also using them for some domains and it works fine.

How strict is Zoho on making sure the free account is used for a "business" ?

• WSSWSS Member

@depricated said:

@cyberpersons said:

How strict is Zoho on making sure the free account is used for a "business" ?

They probably don't want to host [email protected]

• Zoho was good but recently they dis-allowed IMAP on free accounts, which kind of limits it to only webmail. Yandex has not failed on me for more than 20 clients I have on it (skepticism apart)

• Hope you can re-release Cyber Monday Offer again...

@jarland said:

@depricated said:

@angstrom said:

• if location doesn't matter, the australia price is equals with cyber monday offers.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@dzungbb said:
    Hope you can re-release Cyber Monday Offer again...

@jarland said:

@depricated said:

@angstrom said:

If you check our full cart, you can still find a few cheap offers there ;-)

• Maybe this could be of interest for you: https://pawnmail.com/
    Model is "pay what you want" via donations - donate a multiple of the $0.06 per account / year they point out as cost and I would still consider this almost free.

• depricated said: Zoho (possible for non-business?) and Migadu seem interesting.

I was going to suggest Migadu but you already know about it. I use it a little (free account) and it's fine for what I think you want it for.

@Bochi said:
    Maybe this could be of interest for you: https://pawnmail.com/
    Model is "pay what you want" via donations - donate a multiple of the $0.06 per account / year they point out as cost and I would still consider this almost free.

I so envy their simplicity.

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

@Bochi said:

They probably don't use CPanel.

@WSS said:

@jarland said:

@Bochi said:

They probably don't use CPanel.

I'd guess single server basic setup with roundcube and no bells and whistles. I envy it because customers are why I can't have it :P

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:
    I'd guess single server basic setup with roundcube and no bells and whistles. I envy it because customers are why I can't have it :P

You can always setup your own shit which you don't share with others..

• @Bochi said:

Thanks, I hadn't heard of pawnmail. But: "Sorry, we are full. Free registrations unavailable until further notice."