Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What the hell

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited April 2013 in General

I log onto my computer this morning to find my site gone with the GoDaddy park page up, my dedicated server gone, and I can't log into any client areas for anything at all.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Forgot to pay the bill ?

• Everyone using GoDaddy fully deserves what he gets.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Maounique said: Forgot to pay the bill ?

No way, it wasn't even due. Somebody reset the password for my website hosting providers client area, my dedicated server and everything.

I can't log into XLHost control panel, my email, or anything at all. Everything has just gone.

• blackblack Member

Looks like someone owned your PC.

• Trojan in the Works!!!

• @black said: Looks like someone owned your PC.

@dominicl sounds like it.. that seriously sucks. Hopefully you had backups and can get things reset.

This seems pretty crazy if the domain hadn't expired completely:

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
    [Redirected to whois.godaddy.com]
    [Querying whois.godaddy.com]
    [whois.godaddy.com]
    No match for "premiumvm.com" in the registrar database.

Is it possible to just delete/deregister domains w/ godaddy?

• @rds100 you know better, I think. @dominicl Pass word security is a major issue But one you should have tackled.
    If your pass was in any way "human readable" you already Failed. I use a generator and proper cache settings in my browsers. Any developer regardless should have caching disabled really IMHO.
    May be you are not a developer But you know, only the nose knows.
    Just like I say all is well that ends well as long as you don't fall into a well. Then you're in real trouble. o.O

@unused said: Is it possible to just delete/deregister domains w/ godaddy?

Yes.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

hostmaster email : [email protected]
    Looks like an adult based site. (UPD: This seems to be a godaddy domain which controls a few extensions and their dns servers) Is this is not what you had set, please act quickly to check if the domain is still in your Godaddy account

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

lol.

@peppr said: Is this is not what you had set, please act quickly to check if the domain is still in your Godaddy account

I would if I could.

• Better watch it ;) Karma can be a butt.

• Hey @dominicl take it like a man, karma is a bitch and it's time for you to...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Remember, your security isn't even decent until you've inconvenienced yourself greatly. Inconvenience isn't security, but security is the enemy of convenience.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited April 2013

Wondering if someone tried to start a hosting business on credit, and just now realized didn't sell enough to make the payment.

Far as security, remember even WHMCS was "hacked" when hosting on their single Hostgator "SecureServer".

• FreekFreek Member

Did you use LastPass to generate a secure password? I assume not.

@Zen said: get_out_cause_i_realize_i_made_a_bad_decision scenario.

My understand money did not come in, bad startup decision.

@dominicl you have been pwned and you are a...

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited April 2013

@Freek said: Did you use LastPass to generate a secure password? I assume not.

+1 With two-factor authentication, like a Yubikey.

@jarland said: Remember, your security isn't even decent until you've inconvenienced yourself greatly. Inconvenience isn't security, but security is the enemy of convenience.

Indeed. When you get sick of entering your password all day long and grabbing your phone or yubikey for the hundreth time, your security is getting decent.

@dominicl: premiumvm.com is not available for registration according to my registrar. I must still be hanging somewhere.

EDIT: Ah, never mind, you got it back I believe?

• @dominicl anyone can get hacked but generally peeps don't come on public forums immaturely screaming about it - esp. providers...

• I believe @dominicl does need to scream now

• KrisKris Member
    edited August 2014

So.. the hackers instead of trying to gain fame or whatever usual reasons, didn't take over the website - only deleted any trace of it from your GoDaddy account, and prevented you from logging into any hosting company / web-control panel of yours?

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: PREMIUMVM.COM
    Created on: 10-Dec-12
    Expires on: 10-Dec-13
    Last Updated on: 23-Apr-13

Registrant:
    Dominic Le Page
    Vale, Channel Islands GY3 5EL
    Guernsey

Administrative Contact:
    Le Page, Dominic [email protected]
    Guernsey
    +44.8447391164

Technical Contact:
    Le Page, Dominic [email protected]
    Guernsey
    +44.8447391164

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.PREMIUMVM.COM
    NS2.PREMIUMVM.COM

Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
    Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited
    Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
    Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited

Direct from GoDaddy a few minutes ago.. ?

• BrightbullBrightbull Member
    edited April 2013

Did you use the same readable password on all your accounts? I have different non-readable generated passwords for every account and RSA + pass on nodes.

• DerekDerek Member

@dominicl

Contact GoDaddy via phone or online staff and alert them of your account number/account holder name and that you believe it has been compromised. They'll most likely ask you what were some of the digits of the credit card you used, last time you had logged-in, and previous known IP/Security Question.

Prepare for the worst because your server will more then likely need wiped and domains repurchased.

• LeeLee Veteran

So whatever happened someone randomly but oddly specifically just targeted your website and server. All seems totally ligit.

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@W1V_Lee said: So whatever happened someone randomly but oddly specifically just targeted your website and server.

And his control panel passwords, including one for his dedicated server which is just 'gone' - Very very targeted and specific attack points it seems.

• but not his LET account...

• IvanIvan Member

I need to change my passwords.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2013

@dominicl - what is the DC saying about all this? Who is the DC?

• KrisKris Member

@W1V_Lee said: what is the DC saying about all this? Who is the DC?

XLHost in Columbus, OH.

• @dominicl Sorry to hear your loss. I hope you can recover everything soon.