Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What no SLA actually means?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What no SLA actually means?

omelasomelas Member
edited January 2018 in Help

They can't sell imagery server that self-destructs after a day..... are they?

Comments

• It probably means 'best effort'. If your server goes down for unplanned maintenance, the provider will try and get it back up on their own time. There will be no reimbursements for any downtime planned or unplanned.

They could try selling a server that self-destructs after a day, but that wouldn't be a viable business model and they definitely won't have happy customers. They would get a ton of chargebacks for sure.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

It means you're paying for a service, not guaranteed uptime or accessibility.

Thanked by 2Aidan WSS
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@KuJoe said:
    It means you're paying for a service, not guaranteed uptime or accessibility.

It means that, when shit happens, you would likely not get money back.
    We have a no SLA policy for the VPSes and shared hosting for the masses side of the business.
    In theory this means we are not obligated to credit you anything for downtime, in practice, it means we credit much more than we should, when the fault was ours.
    No, this does not mean millions for your lost data because you didnt bother to take backups on our budget service which clearly states no backups AND while we offer free space (or paid if you want more but still cheap) to save your data.
    And yes, it does mean 100% refund if we have to retire some service, even if you used 90% of the time in good conditions.
    This is how we think it should be done, but interpretation varies, in most of the places it means literally that, no reimbursement for downtime in any way shape or form.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Hey,

SLA usually means provider's commitment to provide availability of services for certain percentage of time. In short, it suppose to be a guaranteed up-time of your services.

If the SLA is broken by provider, than most likely you will be compensated. However, keep in mind that most providers do not take into account such factors like: scheduled maintenance, service malfunction due to customer's mis-configuration or some others.

In most cases a provider with SLA, could be considered more reliable than the one without SLA.

• @omelas Who's "they"?

• Its funny when people assume SLA on some of these low end services when I've only seen a real SLA with a handful of companies who compensate for downtime

• deankdeank Member, Troll

No SLA means you can't sue them when they go down for more than a minute.

• @doughmanes said:
    Its funny when people assume SLA on some of these low end services when I've only seen a real SLA with a handful of companies who compensate for downtime

The cents I got from @Virmach in the past are not bad.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

In very simple terms, no level of service is agreed upon prior to purchase.

In real life, it means your service is a low priority, you 'may' get some very basic support, it is a cheap option for experienced people that know what they want and what they are doing.

I have no SLA on lowendspirit, that means a community support forum only, no tickets, any global issues are dealt with and any issues not caused through any fault of your own that you have no access to fix yourself will be dealt with on a best effort basis.

• imok said: The cents I got from @Virmach in the past are not bad.

I used to laugh at the $2-3 account credits I'd apply to Chinese reseller's accounts because of angry Engrish support tickets about losing thousands of dollars

Thanked by 1Cam
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2018

Thousands dollars worth of sanity, probably. I swear some of them watch their websites 24/7 physically.

• Bumping tickets every 5 minutes (which if you didn't know in an oldest ticket first support system actually makes you last with you basically going to the end of the line) begging, saying things that you expect people with a gun down their mouth to say to save their own life