Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH SoYouStart : what's your Santa Claus wishlist ? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH SoYouStart : what's your Santa Claus wishlist ?

Comments

• @wokenwoll said:

@Setsura said:

@wokenwoll said:
    hello,

thx all for your feedbacks. I'm aggregating everything and will see next weeks what we can do.

PS : currently we have 30% off on every SyS Essential servers in few countries like FR, UK, ES, USA, CA, ...
    the promotion will be visible at the last step of your order.
    It's NOT a recurring discount

I know, we are at level 0 of ergonomy, we gonna improve it.

Any idea when/if you'll add larger storage servers to SYS? I'd like to buy an ARM machine with larger than 6TB HDD for example.

No. it's christmas time here, i'll be able to meet hardware team at the beginning of january. then we will have to build new profiles and prod it. the minimum will be february or march

Give us this: https://www.ovh.de/dedicated_server/bare-metal-servers/sp-64-d.xml and youre sold out in 10 mins.

• @stefeman said:

@wokenwoll said:

@Setsura said:

@wokenwoll said:
    hello,

thx all for your feedbacks. I'm aggregating everything and will see next weeks what we can do.

PS : currently we have 30% off on every SyS Essential servers in few countries like FR, UK, ES, USA, CA, ...
    the promotion will be visible at the last step of your order.
    It's NOT a recurring discount

I know, we are at level 0 of ergonomy, we gonna improve it.

Any idea when/if you'll add larger storage servers to SYS? I'd like to buy an ARM machine with larger than 6TB HDD for example.

No. it's christmas time here, i'll be able to meet hardware team at the beginning of january. then we will have to build new profiles and prod it. the minimum will be february or march

Give us this: https://www.ovh.de/dedicated_server/bare-metal-servers/sp-64-d.xml and youre sold out in 10 mins.

But with 8 cores or more :)

• Discounts on longer billing periods (e.g. -10-15% annual)

Thanked by 1lion
  • @wokenwoll How about preemptible public cloud instances, like AWS and Packet.net spot pricing and GCS preemptible? That's one thing separating OVH from the "big guys". Some of us have big computation to do and can give up reliability for large cost savings. And on OVH's side it allows increasing availability for full-price users by keeping idle hardware busy collecting (some) revenue.

• @willie said:
    @wokenwoll How about preemptible public cloud instances, like AWS and Packet.net spot pricing and GCS preemptible? That's one thing separating OVH from the "big guys". Some of us have big computation to do and can give up reliability for large cost savings. And on OVH's side it allows increasing availability for full-price users by keeping idle hardware busy collecting (some) revenue.

The topic was on SyS but to answers you : yep, for sure we have to do it on PCI. it's a win/win project and planned for 2018
    For now the current developments on PCI are focused on autoscaling and templating.
    you'll be able to 1-click-deploy infra template and autoscale you infra based on triggers (consumption, traffic, CPU, ...) Once this done wde will work on it

Thanked by 1willie
  • wokenwollwokenwoll Member
    edited January 2018

Hi there (and happy new year)

I reviewed all your feedbacks and aggregated them into Excel to see what was the most requested (I wan unable to no it with vanilla API, if someone knows how to do it plz tell me)
    Proof : https://imgur.com/a/KaRg8

Here are the TOP 5 requests :

1. (15x) More storage on Essential/Game range, on more than 2 drives. (like 4x2TB)
    2. (14x) Recurring discounts
    3. (7x) Bandwith improvement. Not necessarly more BW, sometimes just guaranted BW up to XXTB, or optional extra BW, …
    4. (6x) New DC locations, especially US side
    5. (5x) Free KVM over IP

I totally understand why for storage, recurring discounts, BW and new DC.
    And i hope to come back here with some good news. Thoses subjects are in discussion (we discuss Intel recently too...)

But for KVM, sorry i don't get it. what's the use case plz ? @krenken @sin @vish @WebProject

From my point of view :
    If you run Linux, you mostly SSH. if you wanna see you desktop, you install a distrib like ubuntu-desktop of apt-get a VNC tool.
    If you run Windows, you use RDP (sorry didn't use windows since long, maybe not the good acronym).

what am i missing ? easyness ? you "just want" a VNC tool preinstalled ? Thx

• WHTWHT Member

@wokenwoll said:

I reviewed all your feedbacks and aggregated them into Excel to see what was the most requested (I wan unable to no it with vanilla API, if someone knows how to do it plz tell me)

1. (15x) More storage on Essential/Game range, on more than 2 drives. (like 4x2TB)
    3. (7x) Bandwith improvement. Not necessarly more BW, sometimes just guaranted BW up to XXTB, or optional extra BW, …
    5. (5x) Free KVM over IP

And i hope to come back here with some good news. Thoses subjects are in discussion (we discuss Intel recently too...)

But for KVM, sorry i don't get it. what's the use case plz ? @krenken @sin @vish @WebProject

From my point of view :
    If you run Linux, you mostly SSH. if you wanna see you desktop, you install a distrib like ubuntu-desktop of apt-get a VNC tool.
    If you run Windows, you use RDP (sorry didn't use windows since long, maybe not the good acronym).

4x2 TB for $39/recurring and you can delete the excel list :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

But for KVM, sorry i don't get it. what's the use case > plz ? @krenken @sin @vish @WebProject

KVM is great to do custom OS installation, as looking at the some reviews your control panel have bugs in regards of re-installation of OS, if it’s happened outside of 9-18 hours we don’t get any support in UK, as you are don’t have 24 hour support!

KVM is not VNC, guys you need to learn IT!

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited January 2018

@wokenwoll said:

5. (5x) Free KVM over IP

From my point of view :

Surprised that Automatic Renewals for Soyoustart is not on your list. Its a feature that you could literally port over from the OVH manager. It would be an extremely valuable quality of life improvement for a lot of the SYS users.

Thanked by 1michaels
  • @WebProject said:

But for KVM, sorry i don't get it. what's the use case > plz ? @krenken @sin @vish @WebProject

KVM is great to do custom OS installation, as looking at the some reviews your control panel have bugs in regards of re-installation of OS, if it’s happened outside of 9-18 hours we don’t get any support in UK, as you are don’t have 24 hour support!

KVM is not VNC, guys you need to learn IT!

Yes i know, but some of you requested "VNC like hetzner". Differents use cases.
    So, on your case you are not requesting KVM over IP, but a good working way to install custom OS, right ?

• @sunnyg said:
    Surprised that Automatic Renewals for Soyoustart is not on your list. Its a feature that you could literally port over from the OVH manager. It would be an extremely valuable quality of life improvement for a lot of the SYS users.

That's the case since +-1 year for new order in europe, and now for CA too.
    when you do an order you can register a payment method and select a duration.
    auto-renew will use those parameters per default.
    Then once logged you can change the duration (1/3/6/12) and the renewal will auto apply based on it.

• @wokenwoll said:
    So, on your case you are not requesting KVM over IP, but a good working way to install custom OS, right ?

Not only to install but mostly to be able to see what's happening in case of any problems when server is inaccessible via ssh.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • @pinc said:

@wokenwoll said:

Not only to install but mostly to be able to see what's happening in case of any problems when server is inaccessible via ssh.

ok. Basically like Free IPMI on OVH servers. got it thx.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@wokenwoll said:

@pinc said:

@wokenwoll said:

Assuming the HW supports it, yes, IPMI/KVM is very much needed.

Your order process is also very confusing.

The 250mbps limit doesnt make sense considering your current network capacity.

More SSD servers... Both in OVH and SYS. Bigger SSDs for sure.

• MikePT said: The 250mbps limit doesnt make sense considering your current network capacity.

fully agreed.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2018

wokenwoll said: Yes i know, but some of you requested "VNC like hetzner". Differents use cases. So, on your case you are not requesting KVM over IP, but a good working way to install custom OS, right ?

It's different:

Just read from hetzner:

Virtual Network Computing, VNC, enables the operating system installation directly via the admin interface Robot.

Their VNC is allowed to connected to server to see the boot issues or do custom OS installation, it's not just accessing OS and do something like Windows RDP!

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited January 2018

@wokenwoll said:

@sunnyg said:

That's the case since +-1 year for new order in europe, and now for CA too.
    when you do an order you can register a payment method and select a duration.
    auto-renew will use those parameters per default.
    Then once logged you can change the duration (1/3/6/12) and the renewal will auto apply based on it.

That's great do you happen to know if this can be done for existing Soyoustart servers (i.e. setup auto-renewal for them?)

@MikePT said:

@wokenwoll said:

@pinc said:

@wokenwoll said:

Assuming the HW supports it, yes, IPMI/KVM is very much needed.

Your order process is also very confusing.

The 250mbps limit doesnt make sense considering your current network capacity.

More SSD servers... Both in OVH and SYS. Bigger SSDs for sure.

I think increasing the outgoing bandwidth on servers will bring back all the seedbox users that used to strain the OVH network back in the day. I recall it was due to the many seedbox users/resellers that OVH added Guaranteed Bandwidth overnight. Even if only 250Mbps outgoing, the network currently feels quite crisp.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • IamIam Member

WebProject said: Their VNC is allowed to connected to server to see the boot issues or do custom OS installation, it's not just accessing OS and do something like Windows RDP!

For Hetzner its LARA and not VNC.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

sunnyg said: I think increasing the outgoing bandwidth on servers will bring back all the seedbox users that used to strain the OVH network back in the day. I recall it was due to the many seedbox users/resellers that OVH added Guaranteed Bandwidth overnight. Even if only 250Mbps outgoing, the network currently feels quite crisp.

So what, OVH has plenty of bw, they need to bear with it, not the clients. 250mbps is quite a low limit.

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • XeiXei Member

Somewhat better I/O (it's not a deal breaker) and gigabit port speed with bandwidth limitations like Hetzner. I would pick up more servers with OVH that way. A lot of other cloud/VPS offerings smoke OVH's lineup in terms of I/O and bandwidth, so overall better performance.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD tier as a sweet spot between essential and game servers please

• I wish see like dedibox XC 2016 on ovh with smillar price

• hawkjohn7 said:

I wish see like dedibox XC 2016 on ovh with smillar price

An Atom box with a 1tb disk? Meh. Put in an 8tb disk ($230 at newegg.com right now so must be less for a huge user like OVH) and it gets more interesting.

• sunnyg said: That's great do you happen to know if this can be done for existing Soyoustart servers (i.e. setup auto-renewal for them?)

SoYouStart > Control Panel > Billing > My Service > Edit

You'll be able to chose 1/3/6/12 month(s) for the renew period.

• @lovetaquito said:
    8GB RAM, 240GB SSD tier as a sweet spot between essential and game servers please

1x240 SSD ? about BW what do you expect ? if you can describe the use case it will help me

• @hawkjohn7 said:

So 8GB RAM, 1 x 240 SSD and 1Gbps for 16€ ?

• @wokenwoll said:

@lovetaquito said:
    8GB RAM, 240GB SSD tier as a sweet spot between essential and game servers please

1x240 SSD ? about BW what do you expect ? if you can describe the use case it will help me

What you should deferentially consider is a fixed quota for bandwith with some kind of guarantee. Ex. 1Gbps guaranteed/20TB Traffic

Thanked by 1Xei
  • @wokenwoll said:

@lovetaquito said:

16GB RAM in the fact.

• @wokenwoll said:

@hawkjohn7 said:

yes, that will make customer happy.

with 1Gbps and 30TB bandwidth like online.net

• @hawkjohn7 said:

@wokenwoll said:

@hawkjohn7 said:

yes, that will make customer happy.

with 1Gbps and 30TB bandwidth like online.net

Online.net don't have 30TB bandwidth limit for this server.