Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared.net - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared.net

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Setsura said:

@Francisco said:
    I'm likely postponing this until I can send a slab node along for the ride as well

How goes the slabbing process anyway? Looking forward to giving you another try in LV when it comes around.

Busy :) been having some hardships with Amazon and if they really have valid inventory.

Ended up going with someone else earlier today for the first half.

@clarity_64 said:
    I'm on lv-shared01, and I seem to see some sort of downtime everyday from Uptime Robot and occasionally from JetPack on my WordPress install. It doesn't really bother me though. I am guessing that Uptime Robot errors are false positives.

The site always seems to be there when I visit, and they aren't of any importance to me.

Likely not, it's just the 1 minute burps I mentioned with restarts. Usually the watcher catches it before it blips but sometimes if there is a delay (cpanel doing a deferred restart, etc) it can cause it.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@Francisco said:
    Busy :) been having some hardships with Amazon and if they really have valid inventory.

You should be able to get a nice business account with NewEgg, ya know.

• Had some trouble with downtime and reliability on BuyShared as well, ended up moving a bunch of accounts to a VPS because it was easier to manage them myself anyway, but @Francisco was a huge help and very responsive, and definitely is a big part of the reason why I stayed with them so long.

@WSS said:

@Francisco said:

You should be able to get a nice business account with NewEgg, ya know.

Their stuff normally costs a lot more than amazon, like $40/drive more.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@Francisco said:

Francisco

That's a pretty large difference. I guess I am used to cherry-picking stuff there.

@WSS said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

That's a pretty large difference. I guess I am used to cherry-picking stuff there.

It is.

For us it's like a $10k price difference.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

CDW?

• Newegg has good prices if you wait for the right promo.

@willie said:
    Newegg has good prices if you wait for the right promo.

True, but they always have caps.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@Francisco said:

@willie said:
    Newegg has good prices if you wait for the right promo.

True, but they always have caps.

Francisco

Sometimes they even have leaky caps.

I'll show myself out.

WSS said: Sometimes they even have leaky caps.

Most of the caps are like < 5 per person ordering with a 72 hour cooldown. We're needing 200+ drives for the initial so it's simply not possible.

We're < $200/drive on brand new 8TB 7200 HGST Heliums so I'm pretty happy.

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited January 2018

Francisco said: Those are horse heads :P

Francisco said: As I said, i'll make them a bit bigger next year to make it more obvious.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Slices and slabs at Lu you say.....take my money!

• My previous is very stable,
    Since BuyShared changed me to IP without informing me,
    Basically five and a half shut down,
    One is intermittent downtime,
    I sent a work order to ask,
    Did not get the ideal answer,
    More disappointed!

• @qquccs Best thing to do is join #frantech on irc.dairc.net and ping Francisco directly

He's a real sweetie and will take real good care of you.

With BuyVM, paying $5/year gets you something that is otherwise worth $15/year.

If you need stability and all the extras like MailChannels, go to Ramnode for $4/mo.

@lurch said:
    Slices and slabs at Lu you say.....take my money!

It'd be a ways out, likely close to the summer.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@lurch said:

Francisco

Hey @Francisco, which region is going to get slabs first, LV, NY, or LUX? I'm on Las Vegas and waiting anxiously for the block storage so I can add them to my slices. If they are not coming to Las Vegas first, I'll be happy to move to another region that will get them first. Thanks in advanced!

• @Francisco said:

@lurch said:

Francisco

Tease

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Francisco said:

@lurch said:

Francisco

Hey @Francisco, which region is going to get slabs first, LV, NY, or LUX? I'm on Las Vegas and waiting anxiously for the block storage so I can add them to my slices. If they are not coming to Las Vegas first, I'll be happy to move to another region that will get them first. Thanks in advanced!

They are going to Las Vegas first.

• @file said:

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Francisco said:

@lurch said:

Francisco

They are going to Las Vegas first.

Sweet!

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

Francisco said: Litespeed itself forks off another process when it's restarting things to get around this (so its gotta be using REUSEADDR),

The setup may be that the forked process inherits the existing open port from its parent, while REUSEADDR only comes into play when there's no existing connection but there was one that closed recently. The latter could happen if the parent process is hard killed and the restart has to open the port again. So it's still something I'd check. Those delays in reloading the config file and in the restart don't sound helpful though.

willie said: The setup may be that the forked process inherits the existing open port from its parent, while REUSEADDR only comes into play when there's no existing connection but there was one that closed recently. The latter could happen if the parent process is hard killed and the restart has to open the port again. So it's still something I'd check. Those delays in reloading the config file and in the restart don't sound helpful though.

Who knows. Personally I don't think its litespeed screwing up, I think it's cPanel missing a message.

I got their patch from April of last year where they do string matches to log files to see if things actually restarted or not.

Subject: [PATCH] Teach ApRestart to understand litespeed

Case CPANEL-12453: Litespeed provides a different restart
    message then apache.  In CPANEL-12240 we now look for
    apache to be restarted before unblocking. Litespeed uses
    a different log message so it would have to wait the full
    180 second timeout for a blocking restart.

ApRestart.pm did not know about the litespeed and
    lscgid processes (this is the process that is
    actually mapped to httpd.pid) so it would do a forceful
    restart when it could not find 'httpd'.

Httpd.pm did not know about the process names that
    litespeed uses so it would believe litespeed had
    failed and do a forceful restart.

Under some circumstances ApRestart.pm would send
    multiple USR1 signals (exactly what it was trying
    to avoid doing) which would cause SEGV with MPM
    worker.

Chkservd.pm had an error where it would send
    call safeapacherestart --force in order to check
    if apache was up.  This was removed so the
    restartsrv_httpd --check call is made instead.

Is the changelog of the patch that cPanel sent me.

Looking through ApRestart.pm the patch is merged, but it could be that Litespeed changed the wording, i'll have to compare.

Francisco

• My emails are going to the spam folder of Gmail. I requested the support department of buyshared they replied,"Contact google they'll do that" -_-

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited January 2018

@someshzade said:
    My emails are going to the spam folder of Gmail. I requested the support department of buyshared they replied,"Contact google they'll do that" -_-

They are not email hosting provider neither do they have control over it. Besides, you can check IP listin.

Thanked by 1Aidan

@someshzade said:
    My emails are going to the spam folder of Gmail. I requested the support department of buyshared they replied,"Contact google they'll do that" -_-

If we put rdns and all that on you then that's the best option for now.

I was looking into mail channels but I would have to go for a full blown setup of it and likely have to double everyone's price just to cover it.

Francisco

Thanked by 2someshzade coreflux
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2018

someshzade said: My emails are going to the spam folder of Gmail. I requested the support department of buyshared they replied,"Contact google they'll do that" -_-

It's almost impossible nowadays to use a shared hosting for emailing, without heavy knowledge and usage of third party tools. A $5/year hosting plan is not for sending emails - at least, it is difficult to achieve good deliverability using vanilla settings.
    One solution is purchase a third party mail gate (e.g. you could try mxroute.com or mxroute.io for relay service for a minimal fee or use one of many free services with 3-6K mails per month like sendgrid, mailjet, mailgun or sendpulse) but this involves tweaking and setting a mail relay in CPanel.
    Or, you could ask Google to clean the ip for you...

EDIT: I think you cannot setup any relay / transactional email service to BuyShared platform. @Francisco could enlighten us on this. When the ip is dedicated (e.g. to reseller service), would it be possible to setup a relay service thru CPanel?

jvnadr said: EDIT: I think you cannot setup any relay / transactional email service to BuyShared platform. @Francisco could enlighten us on this. When the ip is dedicated (e.g. to reseller service), would it be possible to setup a relay service thru CPanel?

It's probably possible to code something through exim to bounce certain IP's through certain relays, but if you've ever read exim's config files you'd know its written in a language lost to the ages.

I've done some preliminary tests for running our own relay setup, but all it'll take is a single user getting their account compromised and blasting a mountain of spam out that doesn't get caught by whatever outbound spam system I use.

Mailchannels was an option, but for the amount of mail we push it gets ugly.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

jvnadr said: EDIT: I think you cannot setup any relay / transactional email service to BuyShared platform. @Francisco could enlighten us on this. When the ip is dedicated (e.g. to reseller service), would it be possible to setup a relay service thru CPanel?

It's probably possible to code something through exim to bounce certain IP's through certain relays, but if you've ever read exim's config files you'd know its written in a language lost to the ages.

I've done some preliminary tests for running our own relay setup, but all it'll take is a single user getting their account compromised and blasting a mountain of spam out that doesn't get caught by whatever outbound spam system I use.

Mailchannels was an option, but for the amount of mail we push it gets ugly.

Francisco

I imagine its a few million per month?

MikePT said: I imagine its a few million per month?

Something like that since we got a lot of shops and all that. It adds up.

I could maybe try to think up a way to sell mailchannels to specific users, hell, that might already exist and I've just not researched it.

Francisco

• rdns, dkim, spf, dcim. Do initial check to make sure the dedicated ip isn't on any lists. Goes a long way in assuring the email is trusted. Obviously also don't think you can do mail marketing with it! A mail channels reseller is definitely the way to go there.

In regards to the down time being related to litespeed I also have a ping monitor to the ip and 3/5 times the 8+ min downtimes that are recorded also cause the point monitor to flare. That says to me it's the node and not just http/s services.

I just feel like more can be done to kick the trouble makers not understanding the meaning of shared hosting to the curb.