Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google - URL Changing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google - URL Changing

emghemgh Member
edited January 2018 in Help

So I've just set up a website and Google indexed it, the issue is that the url for contacting me was "contact" and I want to to be "kontakt". I've changed that, but the problem is that google still thinks that my contact page is /contact/ which is a 404. How am I going about that?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Evidently poorly.

Just setup a redirect.

• emghemgh Member
    edited January 2018

@WSS said:
    Evidently poorly.

Just setup a redirect.

I did some minutes ago and it seems Google already changed the URL. One more thing, all my pages but my blog post was indexed, is there any reason to worry or do I just need to be patient?

• WSSWSS Member

If it's already crawling, it'll eventually update. You might consider using Google Webmaster Tools and making a sitemap, and feeding it to Google to get references updated. I wouldn't worry at all about any posts which have your old contact link.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
    edited January 2018

Normally Google would recrawl to see that its 404 now.

If you do not want to lose the "juice" of the original page, restore it and try the following:

On the page "/contact" setup a canonical url tag that refers to the "/kontakt" page

That would inform Google that the "/contact" page is just a copy of "kontakt" page, OR when it should appear on search engine, "kontakt" would appear instead

or just redirect to the new page as per WSS said

Goodluck

• @emgh said:

I did some minutes ago and it seems Google already changed the URL. One more thing, all my pages but my blog post was indexed, is there any reason to worry or do I just need to be patient?

As long as you don't have some form of authentication required or a Robots.txt that denies that url, you should be fine.

@ZiriusPH said:

>

or just redirect to the new page as per WSS said

A simple 301 would be good enough and should resolve issues with Google and the old page ("Juice" that's left would be intact in that case as well).

• WSSWSS Member

To be fair, just setup a htaccess rule if you're using Apache:

RewriteRule ^contact(.*)$ /kontakt$1 [L,R=301]

Or, if you want to be a twonk, create /contact.php and put this in it:

<?php
    header("location: /kontakt/");
    exit();
    ?>

Of course this won't work unless you have negotiation setup (MultiViews in Apache).

• @emgh said:

@WSS said:
    Evidently poorly.

Just setup a redirect.

No need to worry but you can also submit the links manually in Webmaster Tools.

• Create a sitemap and Google webmaster account. Then block the contact url in the webmaster tools

• I see only minutes between your original post and google updating their indexes. If you want google to heel and work for you on demand, consider hiring managed services from them at $1000 per hour. I am sure they would be happy to oblige.

• emghemgh Member
    edited January 2018

@cheapwebdev said:
    I see only minutes between your original post and google updating their indexes. If you want google to heel and work for you on demand, consider hiring managed services from them at $1000 per hour. I am sure they would be happy to oblige.

Sure, as long as they provide higher quality work than someone on an internet forum who strictly believes that they're edgy enough for that kind of response.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@WSS said:

Or, if you want to be a twonk, create /contact.php and put this in it:

<?php
    > header("location: /kontakt/");
    > exit();
    > ?>

I thought you were absolutely disgusted by PHP?