Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which coin to mine with CPU? (plz no trolls xD)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which coin to mine with CPU? (plz no trolls xD)

Yes me too, I managed to grab a dedi for cheap enough price, and Im wondering if theres any new coin I should invest my time mining in, hoping it becomes even somewhat valuable in the future and which is relatively easy to mine at the moment.

What are people mining right now? XMR/Monero? Electro?

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

https://whattomine.com/

Site is mainly for GPUs, but should still be helpful for CPUs as well.

• I am trying since yesterday the minergate pool with my ks4C (CPU) and it chooses the best possible coins with its software. But I would like to try something better. I have read that a good coin for CPU mining is also verium.

• Minergate is crap. Do some research on them.

• IamIam Member

Vote for Verium (VRM).

• OflameoOflameo Member
    edited January 2018

You should mine websites with your CPU. I am not kidding. You should take the Web and pack it into a block chain and resell it as a cryptocurency. That is one kind of cryptocurrency that the CPU will do better than a GPU for a while at least.

EDIT: Verium would be easier to set up.

• cpsdcpsd Member
    edited January 2018

Single mining or in which pool? Thanks :)

@Iam said:
    Vote for Verium (VRM).

• @MasonR said:

that site is not very good, it says 500 h/s on cryptonight with 1070 but actually you'll get ~700.
    i cant say if the other values are right, but i wont trust that site.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@lemon said:

@MasonR said:

that site is not very good, it says 500 h/s on cryptonight with 1070 but actually you'll get ~700.
    i cant say if the other values are right, but i wont trust that site.

True. It's more to give you an idea of what would be profitable with your hardware, but won't provide an exact calculation. Although, it is flexible enough to allow you to tweak your actual hashrate and power consumption if you require a more tuned estimation.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Sumokoin, electroneum are both OK, I'm getting about 500h/s with a ryzen 1700x on cryptonight. On https://whattomine.com/calculators just search for cryptonight, those are good for CPU mining.

• IamIam Member
    edited January 2018

cpsd said: Single mining or in which pool? Thanks :)

I choose pool.

Edit: I use this pool: https://vrm.mining-pool.ovh

• Doge coin is always an option.

• @Oflameo said:
    You should mine websites with your CPU. I am not kidding. You should take the Web and pack it into a block chain and resell it as a cryptocurency. That is one kind of cryptocurrency that the CPU will do better than a GPU for a while at least.

EDIT: Verium would be easier to set up.

What?

So you crawl a web site, hash it, then crawl another, hash both the previous hash and the new site, and then the next and hash them all and continue hashing, but what good will that make? Except for being an internet notary, which is quite impractical with this implementation.

• archiveteamcoin?

• @Iam said:
    Edit: I use this pool: https://vrm.mining-pool.ovh

Thanks. I am testing it :)

• I recommend mining electronenum with cpu.

Thanked by 1kjl24
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Maxsam4 said: I recommend mining electronenum with cpu.

Why? Better than XMR?

• @randvegeta said:

Why? Better than XMR?

Unless you have a farm, mining xmr with cpu makes no sense due to the huge network fees. It will take a month of mining on average to just mine enough to cover network fees.

Also, mining electorneum is more profitable right now even if we ignore the high transaction fee in monero.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@Maxsam4 said:

@randvegeta said:

Why? Better than XMR?

Unless you have a farm, mining xmr with cpu makes no sense due to the huge network fees. It will take a month of mining on average to just mine enough to cover network fees.

Also, mining electorneum is more profitable right now even if we ignore the high transaction fee in monero.

I disagree. As a host, we have put our unused servers to good use by mining. Since our servers do not have GPUs, they are pure CPU miners. The energy consumption is comparable to good GPUs and since we mostly use E3 and E5 CPUs, it is cost effective. It is not cost effective to BUY hardware to mine, but to put unused resources it is. The power consumption makes up less than 30% of the cost and the fees on payouts are small. In fact with mineXMR, there are no fees for payout.

Perhaps you are thinking of just a single home PC mining? It would take over a month for a decent i7 to get a payout.

• @randvegeta said:

@Maxsam4 said:

@randvegeta said:

Why? Better than XMR?

I disagree. As a host, we have put our unused servers to good use by mining. Since our servers do not have GPUs, they are pure CPU miners. The energy consumption is comparable to good GPUs and since we mostly use E3 and E5 CPUs, it is cost effective. It is not cost effective to BUY hardware to mine, but to put unused resources it is. The power consumption makes up less than 30% of the cost and the fees on payouts are small. In fact with mineXMR, there are no fees for payout.

Perhaps you are thinking of just a single home PC mining? It would take over a month for a decent i7 to get a payout.

Firstly, Fee to transfer xmr from your wallet to an exchange to actually earn anything is not free. ($5 currently)

Secondly, as I said earlier, electroneum is more profitable than monero right now.

Lastly, the op said that he has a single dedi so yeah I am talking about 1 CPU not a E3/E5 farm. (more than 1 is a farm for me)

I have already given multiple advantages of mining electroneum, why do you think mining XMR is better?

Do you think XMR will increase in price more than electroneum in future? You probably are wrong but you can just sell electroneum at an exchange and buy monero.

• I vote Doge! Go big or go home.

• WSSWSS Member

@KermEd said:
    I vote Doge! Go big or go home.

You mean "To the moon!"

Thanked by 1pike
  • @WSS said:

@KermEd said:
    I vote Doge! Go big or go home.

You mean "To the moon!"

Yes, shibe.

• IamIam Member

Maxsam4 said: Secondly, as I said earlier, electroneum is more profitable than monero right now.

How about Electroneum vs Verium? any experience.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@Maxsam4 said:

@randvegeta said:

Why? Better than XMR?

See this is the mindset I keep seeing that confuses me. Like, I get what you're saying and it's logical in this moment, but that ignores the entire concept of a smart investment. Why do so many people only consider the current value of coins when calculating the value of mining them? It's not about what they're worth today, if you're actually in it to invest rather than play the penny slots.

If any coin is physically profitable to mine at it's current value, the situation is temporary and you're looking at very small profits. You should be mining as an investment based on your best effort to determine which coin you can reasonably mine that you believe will grow in value.

How many people continually said mining Bitcoin wasn't worth the cost, and they were right that day, but then one day it was suddenly worth far more than the cost was to mine it at the time they said that. That's how real investments work, you do your research and place an educated bet on long term growth. Penny stocks are nearly a hoax, not that many people actually profit from them.

Monero is the closest to a sure thing I've seen. It's going to increase in value, I'd bet on it. But it's a bit late in the game to strike it rich without investing a lot of money, whether mining or trading. Electroneum is what I've ended up going all in on after failing with monero (not willing to invest the $, I barely missed the boat). Electroneum is a long game for sure though. Very solid returns from mining it right now in terms of # of coin, ignore current value because you're going to want to hold it.

Thanked by 1priest
  • Maxsam4 said: Maxsam4

i have some servers mining xmr and some mining etn. in my case xmr is more profitable.

• @jarland said:

@Maxsam4 said:

@randvegeta said:

Why? Better than XMR?

See this is the mindset I keep seeing that confuses me. Like, I get what you're saying and it's logical in this moment, but that ignores the entire concept of a smart investment. Why do so many people only consider the current value of coins when calculating the value of mining them? It's not about what they're worth today, if you're actually in it to invest rather than play the penny slots.

If any coin is physically profitable to mine at it's current value, the situation is temporary and you're looking at very small profits. You should be mining as an investment based on your best effort to determine which coin you can reasonably mine that you believe will grow in value.

How many people continually said mining Bitcoin wasn't worth the cost, and they were right that day, but then one day it was suddenly worth far more than the cost was to mine it at the time they said that. That's how real investments work, you do your research and place an educated bet on long term growth. Penny stocks are nearly a hoax, not that many people actually profit from them.

Monero is the closest to a sure thing I've seen. It's going to increase in value, I'd bet on it. But it's a bit late in the game to strike it rich without investing a lot of money, whether mining or trading. Electroneum is what I've ended up going all in on after failing with monero (not willing to invest the $, I barely missed the boat). Electroneum is a long game for sure though. Very solid returns from mining it right now in terms of # of coin, ignore current value because you're going to want to hold it.

Why are you confusing mining with investing? Mining is NOT investing.
    Mining 101 : Mine the most profitable coin at currrent time.

As I said earlier, if you think that monero has a brighter future then just sell the coin you mined and buy monero. let me explain in easier terms. you can either mine 80$ worth of monero or mine 100$ worth of etn and buy 99$ worth of monero by selling that etn on an exchange. If you still dont get that mining is not investment then I cant help it.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @cociu said:

Maxsam4 said: Maxsam4

i have some servers mining xmr and some mining etn. in my case xmr is more profitable.

ETN is based on monero so you get same hash rate. unless ur pool was super unlucky or u did something wrong, etn IS more profitable right now.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

Maxsam4 said: Why are you confusing mining with investing? Mining is NOT investing. Mining 101 : Mine the most profitable coin at currrent time.

How is it not? It's spending an equivalent of money (hardware, electricity, all have monetary value to own/use) to obtain an equivalent of money that you expect to increase in value over time so that you can then trade it for money in hand at a later date. If you're mining and immediately selling, your equivalent is day trading. I'm pretty sure more people make money selling tickets to seminars about day trading than actually make any significant money day trading. It's totally equivalent... the time, effort, resource, and fees just chip away at day traders.