Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to install virtio drivers in win 2003 on a KVM vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to install virtio drivers in win 2003 on a KVM vps?

RurikoRuriko Member
edited April 2013 in Help

I have a kvm vps and I installed windows server 2003 on it. How do you actually install virtio drivers on it?

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Ask your host to give you access to the drivers. Go to solus and click on the drivers tab, mount the iso. Then go to your VPS via rdp or vnc and install it from the CD.

If im wrong, correct me :)

• serverianserverian Member
    edited April 2013

Or, just download and extract this ISO and install self signed drivers: http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/

Then shutdown your VM and change drivers to virtio and boot.

• @serverian: I once tried this, didn't work well :P Bluescreen...

• @Shigawire said: @serverian: I once tried this, didn't work well :P Bluescreen...

It worked fine at one that time I tried. I don't know. It's windows..

• ZiggaZigga Member

the best method is to install Windows with Virtio drivers from the get go than switching to Virtio once you install windows. That way no BSOD's and dodgy driver issues. Its a clean installation with the proper drivers

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

KVM install 2003 virtio drivers need modify Virtual machine configuration file mount drivers file or add drivers to change 2003 iso file.

• 2003 can not install virtio driver from cdrom, maybe need a floppy device.

• Yes, 2003 does not work with VirtIO unless you compile the drivers into the ISO or have a virtual floppy drive.

• Why not use Intel Ethernet controller? It works best with Windows

• @Ruchirablog Network driver is not so important, but the virtio drivers boost up the i/o on the hdd.

• I've been able to do it with Windows Server 2008 R2 and some custom config trickery. Have the support people make a custom config for your VPS with the HDD IMG specified twice. First time as IDE, second time as virtio. Boot the KVM with the Driver ISO mounted, and Windows will prompt you to install drivers for the "RedHat SCSI Device" (what it ends up being called). Install them, then have support go back to the normal config file, then switch to virtio for HDD. It should work, at least with Server 2008R2. I've never tried with 2003. Don't bother with virtio networking. The Intel works fine and the virtio network driver isn't really all that stable.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2013

huh? 2008 can load fine from CD; just mount the Redhat driver disk as second CD and install as usual - Not sure why you need config changes..

• @Zigga said: the best method is to install Windows with Virtio drivers

You meant ide?

• ZiggaZigga Member

I assumed everyone had the virtio stuff on floppy?

• select the driver at installation time

1. Mount Windows installer iso
    2. Follow wizard until disk config, select "Custom installation"
    3. Mount virtio driver floppy/cd from solus
    4. Click "load driver" and should automaticly find it
    5. delete all (dummy) partitions
    6. create one big new partition (will also create the boot partiton)
    7. Let the installer do the rest
  • Not every provider have them

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited May 2013

@William how do you compile the virtio drivers with the windows 2003 iso?

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

@Ruriko try to use nLite to compile the drivers into your Windows 2003 ISO.

• WilliamWilliam Member

Yea, nlite or the official windows integration kit (nlite is better.)

• RurikoRuriko Member
    Is there a way to add a floppy disk in SolusVM? cause my host couldn't find information on it
  • I tried, and couldn't. I don't see why people still use Windows Server 2003 these days anymore. It's freaking 10 years old people!
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    XP is even older and people still use that...