Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPNs that still work in china?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPNs that still work in china?

My friend is traveling to China next month, and I wan to make sure he is connected during his trip. I've heard that Shadowsocks is now blocked in china. Is there any other method available now?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Shadowsocks or Shadowsocks R still working. No need to worry

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • NordVPN is supposedly working.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @JackieSung said:
    Shadowsocks or Shadowsocks R still working. No need to worry

Are you currently in China? Can you confirm it's still working (as of now)? Thanks!

@Ympker said:
    NordVPN is supposedly working.

Yeah, I've seen posts that nord works, but the speed got slower after 2016 :(

Thanks for the reply!

• I'm currently in Shanghai now. Yup, Im 100% sure.If your friend have a quetion, don't hesitate to contact me during his/her time in China.

@sanvit said:

@JackieSung said:

Are you currently in China? Can you confirm it's still working (as of now)? Thanks!

@Ympker said:

Thanks for the reply!

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • SetupVPN

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • Everything works if you keep trying.

Thanked by 2sanvit Janevski
  • @sanvit said:

@JackieSung said:

@Ympker said:

Thanks for the reply!

The speed isnt the fastest with nord thats true but to "stay connected" its more than enough. Not like he would need to dl/stream much right? I thought you were rather referring to whatsapp etc? Anyway streaming on netflix should work too I guess.

• MickelCMickelC Member
    edited December 2017

I dont think any VPN is working in china. Man jailed 5½ years, fined US$76000 for selling VPN in southern China
    check the link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/22/man-in-china-sentenced-to-five-years-jail-for-running-vpn

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @MickelC said:
    I dont think any VPN is working in china. Man jailed 5½ years, fined US$76000 for selling VPN in southern China
    check the link: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/22/man-in-china-sentenced-to-five-years-jail-for-running-vpn

selling != working. Besides afaik a lot of companies over there use VPNs and i don't think anyone is going to touch that.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • Shadowsocks R still working

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @tohaya said:
    Shadowsocks R still working

Which port are you using?

• shadowsocks still working, use 443 port with chacha20-ietf-poly1305 encryption method.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • I know the brook VPN is still work, Shadowsocks(R) has too many people uesd it,and
    I think the government will focus it.
    https://github.com/txthinking/brook

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • default lol

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

Get Taiwan, Korea, Japan or Hongkong VPS and you will be fine :D

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • ShadowsocksR/RR and its forks should work in most places (don't expect anything on Airport Wi-Fi)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • I was in China last week and my Shadowsocks IP got banned after 1 hour or so. Access was working again an hour later.

Take a serious look into split tunneling, this might help. Will do that too and might also get OpenConnect running.

What also worked without any problem and always is Lantern.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @dergelbe said:
    I was in China last week and my Shadowsocks IP got banned after 1 hour or so. Access was working again an hour later.

Take a serious look into split tunneling, this might help. Will do that too and might also get OpenConnect running.

Can you tell me your Shadowsocs config and IP range (or ASN) please?

• mint said: (don't expect anything on Airport Wi-Fi)

So there's no solution for airport Wi-Fi than?

Good to see a fellow Korean by the way:)

• @sanvit said:

mint said: (don't expect anything on Airport Wi-Fi)

So there's no solution for airport Wi-Fi than?

Good to see a fellow Korean by the way:)

My shadowsocks+kcptun worked on every Wi-Fi except the ones in Airport when I've been to Shanghai at June. SSR could work (I never tried them), just saying that It won't be any surprise if it doesn't work on Airport Wi-Fi.

Good to see ya too :p (저두 반가워요!)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @sanvit said:

@dergelbe said:
    I was in China last week and my Shadowsocks IP got banned after 1 hour or so. Access was working again an hour later.

Can you tell me your Shadowsocs config and IP range (or ASN) please?

I run SS on a RasPi on port 25800. I forgot the route setting since I changed it a few times. But I wonder what are the differences, the options on Android are:

• Bypass LAN
    • Bypass Mainland China
    • Bypass LAN & Mainland China
    • GFW List
    • China List
    • Custom Rules

2-4 look quite similar to me and I couldn't find any further information on that. I just tested (I'm not in China though) the GFW List option and it works. When I check my IP on Google it's via SS, on myip.cn it's my direct network address.

If you use Android, get Lantern as backup. You have 500Gb free high speed data monthly. I have it constantly on and so far it was never blocked.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.getlantern.lantern&hl=en

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • Here's one way out:

100% guaranteed to work.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • Nobody understood. Your IQ is too high.

@FlamesRunner said:
    Here's one way out:

100% guaranteed to work.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • Thanked by 1sanvit
  • As a programmer at China, I'm glad to tell you the good message, we can still use Shadowsocks. if your friend cannot find anyone who can provide a SS. MSG me via Twitter/fdmove

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • You should follow your leader and do what he says. If he said no youtube, then no youtube :) .

@Dasmz said:
    As a programmer at China, I'm glad to tell you the good message, we can still use Shadowsocks. if your friend cannot find anyone who can provide a SS. MSG me via Twitter/fdmove

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • needavpsneedavps Member
    edited December 2017

does he have tmobile post paid? Free international data still works there and you don't need to give them id to get a phone. 2g speeds though and was good enough for skype video call. need to check their service map.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Here's one way out:

100% guaranteed to work.

Since when did Cathay Pacific offer boarding pass like this LOL.

To OP, if you fly to HK then to mainland, you may be able to buy a SIM card at HK which includes both HK and mainland traffic plan offered by China Mobile International or China Unicom HK that can access Google/Whatsapp etc. in mainland without a VPN.

• @fkj: To OP, if you fly to HK then to mainland, you may be able to buy a SIM card at HK which includes both HK and mainland traffic plan offered by China Mobile International or China Unicom HK that can access Google/Whatsapp etc. in mainland without a VPN.

This so much.

Ask 7/11 for SIM cards from CMHK and CUHK. A lot of them include China roaming. US$12 for 1.5GB across 10 days is a good deal.

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited December 2017

No need to hit Hong Kong, all roamed data in China is unblocked. Better check the prices though.