Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Windows 2k8/IIS plan
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Windows 2k8/IIS plan

NekkiNekki Veteran
edited April 2013 in General

At work I've just been dropped in the deep end with handling some support work for our Windows servers running IIS. I've got a reasonable understanding of how it works, but I've never actually had access to a 2K8 server running IIS to get some hands-on experience, so I'm looking for a relatively low-cost plan that will let me get that ahead of being unleashed on the real servers.

I just need the bare minimums that Windows/IIS requires (512MB-1GB RAM, 40GB-ish disk) in terms of - there will never be public sites running off the server, all I'll be doing is messing around with setting up new sites/application pools etc, general systems admin maintenance stuff. Huge dandwidth, SSD's etc aren't necessary, and I don't really care where it's located either. I will need a price including a license as I don't have my own.

In terms of price, I'd obviously like this for LEB price, but I'm realistic; I only want this for a few months for my own learning, but can pay upfront for a quarter if it helps get the price down.

Comments

• Most of the votes for our Windows LEB offer have been Windows 2012 sadly. Do you have a license?

We'll have something up next week.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@concerto49 said: Most of the votes for our Windows LEB offer have been Windows 2012 sadly. Do you have a license?

No, unfortunately not. I'll add that to the first post.

• Cant you take up a KVM and install 180 day trial from http://www.microsoft.com/en-my/download/details.aspx?id=11093 ?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013

@peppr said: Cant you take up a KVM and install 180 day trial from http://www.microsoft.com/en-my/download/details.aspx?id=11093 ?

Yeah that would be the way to go. If your problem is providers not supporting Windows at all, we might be able to do this for you as an exception once we have it up and running.

• serverianserverian Member
    edited April 2013

@Nekki, I can offer this for free if the 180 day trial works for you.

Oktay

• if learning purpose Burst.net will be fine... comparing the price

• @Nekki If you don't need a control panel, I can offer this for free too, shoot me a PM!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

The W2K8 trial seems a bit mental - you have to reset the validation every ten days, then completely reinstall everything every 60 days? I've no appetite to reinstall, but 60 days might just be enough.

@serverian , @Bogdacutuu - thanks for the kind offers of some free hosting, are we talking suitably specced KVM's and I bring the trial license with me, or something else?

• ChanChan Member

AWS 1 year free trial?

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

@Nekki said: The W2K8 trial seems a bit mental

evaluation period and activation period are different things. With a hotmail/live id you can request a eval product key which will allow you completely evaluate the product for 180 days. To do this ( activate the eval version) you have 10 days which can be rearmed 5 times

Grace Period (to activate): 10 days
    Evaluation period for Windows Server 2008 R2: 180 days
    Evaluation period for Windows 7 Enterprise:  90 days
    Product key: None required during setup
    Activation methods: Internet only (telephone activation is not available)
    Rearms: 5

• @Chan said: AWS 1 year free trial?

+1

• @Nekki, I can provide you a 512 or 1GB RAM with the disk space you want KVM VPS if you bring your own trial license. You wouldn't need to reinstall the Windows. You can just rearm it.

Oktay

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

@serverian @Bogdacutuu Nice of you guys for offering FOC.. Thumbs Up

• We are a Windows partner thus can provide any license you need. Drop me a PM for pricing etc :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

Dewlance provide Windows VPS with free Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 2003 R2 OS(Any one OS you can use at a time)

With Dewlance
    +1 AutoBoot
    +1 AutoOS Install
    +1 AutoRDP Setup
    +1 Auto Setup

• @DewlanceVPS said: +1 AutoBoot

+1 AutoOS Install
    +1 AutoRDP Setup
    +1 Auto Setup

+1 AutoAnything
    +1 AutoIgnore

@peppr said: +1 AutoAnything

+1 AutoIgnore

No,

• AutoBoot - Everyone know about autoboot
    • AutoRDP Setup - RDP Account will be automatically setup and configured.
    • AutoOS Install - Reboot your VPS and OS Will be automatically installed.
    • AutoSetup - Automatic Setup
  • @DewlanceVPS said: AutoOS Install - Reboot your VPS and OS Will be automatically installed.

Well, that must be dandy. Restart the VPS and bam! Fresh new system, I mean really, who needs to keep their files?

/sarcasm

• >
    But Yes...
    Someone copied your idea to create a company called AutoMattic ( You should probably sue them or buy them)

• ChanChan Member
    edited April 2013

@DewlanceVPS said: AutoBoot - Everyone know about autoboot

AutoRDP Setup - RDP Account will be automatically setup and configured.
    AutoOS Install - Reboot your VPS and OS Will be automatically installed.
    AutoSetup - Automatic Setup

Hmm I've used loads of providers (from deadpooled to premium hosts) and I'm pretty sure all of them have the functions you named here

AutoBoot : Pretty sure VPSes will always reboot when they shutdown (less intensional)
    AutoRDP setup : Most KVMs and even some OvZs have auto VNC
    AutoOS : OS templates?!
    AutoSetup : Setup what? OS templates again!?

They don't have Autoignore and autoanything though, you should get them to be ahead of them in the auto* game

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Not to disrupt the Dewlance baiting, but just wanted to say thanks to all those who chipped in with offers and suggestions, especially @serverian & @Bogdacutuu for their kind offers of some short-term free hosting. In the end I plumped for Bogdacutuu's offer.

edited April 2013

@Chan said: AutoBoot : Pretty sure VPSes will always reboot when they shutdown (less intensional)

AutoRDP setup : Most KVMs and even some OvZs have auto VNC
    AutoOS : OS templates?!
    AutoSetup : Setup what? OS templates again!?

Seems you don't know what is AutoBoot and RDP.

VNC is not a RDP and we do not use Template.

• @Nekki said: Not to disrupt the Dewlance baiting

YMMD :D