Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rsync question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rsync question

rrrrrr Member
edited April 2013 in General

I have got a cPanel VPS. I am going to have another storage VPS soon. Question is how can I backup COMPLETE VPS with rsync. It should include mysql too and all VPS files.

I want to set two backups, daily and weekly. I want to set cron too for this.

How much load it will give?

Comments

• jhjh Member

You can't really do it like that. The DBMS needs to be off while the files are copied or you'll get inconsistent data.

• @jhadley said: You can't really do it like that. The DBMS needs to be off while the files are copied or you'll get inconsistent data.

To get round this you could do a MySQL dump before your perform the rsync. The dump will be consistent.

• rrrrrr Member

yes whatever way its possible any command examples will be really helpful.

• LeeLee Veteran

All I do is is run a bash script to First mysqldump the databases individually into a folder on the VPS and it then does an rsync to my backup VPS which obviously includes the databases.

I am on a call at the minute if I get a chance later and nobody else gives you it I will post some code that I use.

• On our old CP server we used a crontab to do a mysqldump and after that a rsync... I just saw we never moved that script with the CP itself...

• I'd recommend automysqlbackup and duplicity

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Something like this? : http://cpremote.net/