Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waveride (by EDIS) - 4Gb RAM/50G HDD/4 vCPU/2TB Traffic OpenVZ+Solus 5EUR/mo - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Waveride (by EDIS) - 4Gb RAM/50G HDD/4 vCPU/2TB Traffic OpenVZ+Solus 5EUR/mo

Comments

• @ihatetonyy said: Web serving with a lot of RAM caching?

A nice and fast mysql database system? :D

• Ramdisk?

• stop. this. ram. madness.

• @serverian said: stop. this. ram. madness.

Why would you want to do that?

• @zhuanyi said: My question is, what could people do with such a VPS that has huge RAM but not enough CPU power?

My question is, why do you think every bit of software is CPU bound?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

You should update your title @William, because its 4GB not 512MB.

• Crazy offer.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@vedran said: I guess Solus is wrong.

Burst ram shows up as free RAM too.

• i always told: EDIS and IPERWEB(prometeus) best low end providers in the world.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: but not enough CPU power?

The CPU is not that bad in my opinion. I was able to run a small Minecraft server perfectly well on the E5-2620, so this should be alright as well for most things.

• @superpilesos said: Do you accept payments with credit card without paypal account? ("Checkout as Guest")

absolutely! Just don't create a subscription, but a click on the paypal checkout button.
    This should do the trick.

Gerhard

• emilvemilv Member
    edited April 2013

IP for ping/speed test?

Edit: NM

• AUP?

• lbftlbft Member
    edited April 2013

One interesting side-effect of setting it to 2GB/4GB burst (or whatever that maps onto in terms of OpenVZ settings - at this point, 'burst' is the well-established way to talk about this without regurgitating beancounters) is that you can't have a tmpfs bigger than your non-burst memory (or rather, you can have a larger tmpfs, but you can't put more than your non-burst memory amount in it.)

Edit: some Googling suggests that it's the shmpages value that limits tmpfs size, which on the OpenVZ VPSes I checked that use burst is set to the same value as oomguarpages. I assume that's a Solus thing but I really have no idea beyond "big ramdisk no worky".

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

If this is indeed configured as 2GB guaranteed/4GB burst, then I would hate to say it, but advertising this as "4GB RAM" is not entirely honest.

• @emilv said: IP for ping/speed test?

http://at.edis.at

• @rm_ said: If this is indeed configured as 2GB guaranteed/4GB burst, then I would hate to say it, but advertising this as "4GB RAM" is not entirely honest.

This is definitely not our intent. We defined the servers with 4 GB RAM in the templates and this is what solusVM makes out of it. I will create a server and post the values here.

Gerhard

• @rm_ said: If this is indeed configured as 2GB guaranteed/4GB burst, then I would hate to say it, but advertising this as "4GB RAM" is not entirely honest.

Created a test-server and this is what you get:

top - 15:14:09 up 8 min, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

KiB Mem: 4194304 total, 14956 used, 4179348 free, 0 buffers
    KiB Swap: 0 total, 0 used, 0 free, 8848 cached

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem: 4194304 14640 4179664 0 0 8860
    -/+ buffers/cache: 5780 4188524

http://www.urimage.net/images/2013/04/20/G6hCU.jpg

I hope that there are no more doubts now.

Cheers,
    Gerhard @ EDIS

• lbftlbft Member
    edited April 2013

@ExPl0ReR said: KiB Mem: 4194304 total, 14956 used, 4179348 free, 0 buffers

You would see that whether it was dedicated or "burst".

• What's the contract / notice period, if any at all?

• @lbft: what app is this out of?

• @kelwin said: What's the contract / notice period, if any at all?

minimum contractial time: 1 month
    payments either monthly, quarterly, bi-annual or annual with discounts
    cancellations: any time, no notice
    non-payment w/o cancellation will result in auto-termination

Gerhard

• lbftlbft Member

@ExPl0ReR said: what app is this out of?

It's a screenshot from Solus.

• @lbft We will look into that. I see the same in my solus panel.

If it is technically possible, we will change this to 4/0 instead of 2/4
    technically speaking there is no difference for the client, because a 4/0 and a 2/4 VPS will have 4 GB of memory available.

Gerhard

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

dedicated or "burst".

The mention of "dedicated" RAM on some openvz offers is a marketing term fantasy because in reality nothing is "dedicated" to only one VPS--the node's RAM is shared between all VPS's on the node. The RAM listed in offers is the maximum amount that is available for a VPS to use at one time (provided that everyone else on the node isn't maxing out their RAM usage at the same time in which case you would have less than the maximum amount available...and a lot of disk swapping on the node and performance would grind to a crawl).

If you look at the LEB homepage you'll see providers offering 2GB RAM plans on L5420's (most L5420's in use by budget providers have 16GB-24GB RAM, Reliable Hosting) and 3GB plans on E3's (max server RAM 32GB, ChicagoVPS). The RAM listed in those plans is definitely not "dedicated RAM".

• tuxtux Member

@Maounique said: Come to Romania, we have 24% :)

Or Finland, where is also 24 % VAT.

• emilvemilv Member

Iceland 25.5%. :)

• Iceland 25.5%. :)

Hungary has the highest VAT 27%

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited April 2013

Burstable RAM in SolusVM is vSwap on .32 ovz kernels.

• so please correct me if I'm wrong:
    Burstable RAM = vSwap = RAM (if not done on a disk)