Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Probably Stupid Dedicated Server Request [64GB RAM, DDoS Prot, SSD]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Probably Stupid Dedicated Server Request [64GB RAM, DDoS Prot, SSD]

LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
edited December 2017 in Requests

Hi,

As the title already explains, this is probably a dumb request - but I'm in a sticky situation here.

I have a E5-SAT-1-64 from SoYouStart, however recently I have had performance issues that are I/O and CPU related... I love their pricing and I know that nobody can beat them. The performance issues are really difficult to work with.

My requirements are as follows:

• CPU with passmark over 10k, 11k+ preferred.
  • 64GB RAM
  • 3-4 x 500GB SSD - (but, mechanical could work with HW Raid... 2 x 2TB) - 1TB+ total storage.
  • 5TB Bandwidth (10TB+ preferred) @ 500 Mbit/s.
  • 10 Gbit/s or more DDoS Protection (basic TCP/UDP - very infrequent attacks but they do happen! -- it HAS to work though.)
  • Located in Europe (<30ms to the UK), US East in worst case scenario. (<100ms to the UK)
  • 8 IPv4 (preferably cheap extras).

My budget is very tight, but I will stretch as much as possible. I've got about $80/month - but being realistic I could stretch to $100/month if the offer is very good - but for that price I would be able to replace the node with separate LEBs with change. Setup time would need to be quick if you'd like me to purchase this month (only just realised, but machine expires tommorow), or if you can wait 2-3+ weeks and keep the offer... then the setup times can be slower. (EU providers, I do have to pay 20% VAT - and yes... this is included in my price, even if it's not in yours - if it was for enterprise, I'd be spending full price!)

Thank you all, and I hope every one of you has a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

All the best,
LordSpock

Comments

• Hetzner EX41S.

i7 6700 (upgrade to 7700 by mentioning it on the order form last I heard), 64gb ram, 2x2tb spinning rust, 30TB bw for 39 euro excluding tax, but with a setup fee of 79 euro.

1 ip only, but you can order more at about 1 euro/month each

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@clouvider could come close to this at $100/mo maybe with 2x2TB

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

@teamacc said:
    Hetzner EX41S.

i7 6700 (upgrade to 7700 by mentioning it on the order form last I heard), 64gb ram, 2x2tb spinning rust, 30TB bw for 39 euro excluding tax, but with a setup fee of 79 euro.

1 ip only, but you can order more at about 1 euro/month each

Was considering, (setup fee isnt really too much of an issue) but SW raid isn't workable. Thank you for the suggestion.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited December 2017

https://www.hetzner.com/sb

i7-3930, 2x3tb hdd, 64gb ram, 20TB, €54.62 + VAT, no setup

Xeon E5-1650V2, 2x2tb hdd, 64gb ram, 20TB, €67.23 + VAT, no setup

Thanked by 1LordSpock
    edited December 2017

That's the machine I was basing my drools off of, if one were to make it to become available I would have snapped it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Online.net's ddos protection is like that house made of straw and/or sticks from "the three little pigs"

Thanked by 2LordSpock vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@vmhaus said:
    @clouvider could come close to this at $100/mo maybe with 2x2TB

Thanks for he recommendation.

Not doable in the budget.

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • mkshmksh Member
    edited December 2017

@LordSpock said:
    Was considering, (setup fee isnt really too much of an issue) but SW raid isn't workable. Thank you for the suggestion.

i7-3930, 2x3tb hdd, 64gb ram, 20TB, hardware raid, €61.34 + VAT, no setup (again hetzner)

Edit: 2x240gb ssd at €69.75 or 2x3tb ssd at €73.95 too if you'd prefer that.

Thanked by 1LordSpock

Thanks all for above offers, i7-3930 on SA isn't too bad, could work!

From what I have seen, I may have to think about finding a provider to send parts of HW too (SSDs/RAM) or co-locating my own machine. Much appreciated none the less.

• @LordSpock said:

From what I have seen, I may have to think about finding a provider to send parts of HW too (SSDs/RAM) or co-locating my own machine. Much appreciated none the less.

Providers won't let you send your own part, usually, other than drives and even that is rather rare. Can't OVH do this within your price range? Haven't checked but looks like a standard OVH offer.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited December 2017

LordSpock said: hope every one of you has a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

And the same to you!

Thanked by 1LordSpock

@6ixth said:

@LordSpock said:

Providers won't let you send your own part, usually, other than drives and even that is rather rare. Can't OVH do this within your price range? Haven't checked but looks like a standard OVH offer.

I've had providers let me do it in the past (with me paying for replacements if they go wrong of course.) OVH offer similar, but the main crux is the disk - the machine is fine as it is, minus the crippling I/O issues... SW raid doesn't work well when you start pushing a machine and there aren't any HW Raid/SSD offerings that work for me.

I'll probably either bite the bullet and get an 1650v3 from OVH, or build a machine and co-locate in the new year.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

If you are experiencing IO issues then go for SSD. Dont go for HDD again unless its HW RAID 10, preferably.

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • Isn't swraid1 better than non-BBU hwraid1?

edited December 2017

@vimalware said:
    Isn't swraid1 better than non-BBU hwraid1?

No. Hw raid is always better if the raid card can handle the throughput. HW raid for SSDs are a different story though. Its only worth for a big amount of SSDs (4 or more) or if the raid card is really fit for SSDs, or else you'll get less throughput.

While BBU is great, thats just Backup Battery Unit. It doesnt mean it gives you extra performance. That is only useful in the event of power loss.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@MikePT said:

@vimalware said:

No. Hw raid is always better if the raid card can handle the throughput. HW raid for SSDs are a different story though. Its only worth for a big amount of SSDs (4 or more) or if the raid card is really fit for SSDs, or else you'll get less throughput.

While BBU is great, thats just Backup Battery Unit. It doesnt mean it gives you extra performance. That is only useful in the event of power loss.

Erm, yes, but you don’t normally enable caching with no BBU, that is, of course, unless you like living on the edge. :-)

Thanked by 1vimalware

@Clouvider said:

@MikePT said:

@vimalware said:

Erm, yes, but you don’t normally enable caching with no BBU, that is, of course, unless you like living on the edge. :-)

For sure... :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @LordSpock said:

I have one of those at a much cheaper rate ( 40€ without VAT ) which I'll most likely let go mid of january. 2x3TB sata / soft raid anyway...

If you haven't found something by then and want it transferred, let me know...