Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows web desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows web desktop

jhjh Member
edited April 2013 in General

A couple of years back I read about a beta service offering a Windows desktop in a web browser. Does anyone know what it was called, or if there's anything similar? It's for those times I need Windows or a fast connection to shift files around etc.

Occasional usage, nothing dodgy but a low budget :)

Comments

• wdqwdq Member

I know OnLive had some sort of Windows desktop in the cloud. I don't remember if it was in the web browser, or a standalone app. Otherwise a KVM VPS with a web based KVM client might get the job done.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

It could have been some VNC. I dont recall anything of the kind. There are a few RDP services I think I saw, but did never look a second time to those.
    Edit: imperio beat me to it :)

• rdp hosting is generally terrible, overloaded OVH machines sold on wjunction for warez encoding/uploading

• markmark Member

I have a KVM machine with OpenITC that I use with RDP. I sometimes forget it's not my local PC because the performance is so good. I also have ThinRDP installed to access RDP in a regular browser for connections that use http proxy only (like at work).

• jhjh Member

@wdq said: OnLive

Looks good but nothing for Mac unfortunately.

@superpilesos said: rdp hosting is generally terrible

Haven't tried it but got a feeling a lot of it is. Does anyone know of any quality providers of RDP hosting?

• A good quality rdp host would be a windows vps host. rdp hosting just is bad, like anything advertising itself as "offshore hosting" probably would be. i'm also 90% sure the only "security" they have is giving people non-administrator accounts on windows

• jhjh Member

Look what I found!

Ok, where can I get a very cheap Windows VPS in the EU? Burst has one for £5/month.. Not sure if anyone's tried that.

• Why does he advertise in his site description that he uses desktop hardware?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

But dude your gonna miss out on Autoboot™ and all the other cool Auto™ features. You know you want to :P

/troll

• We are a Microsoft partner, so we can offer any licenses you may need on our KVM line. Will be out of LEB pricing though of course, give me a shout if your interested.

• jhjh Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: We are a Microsoft partner, so we can offer any licenses you may need on our KVM line. Will be out of LEB pricing though of course, give me a shout if your interested.

How far out of LEB pricing?

• @jhadley said: How far out of LEB pricing?

Well.. Windows server standard is £10.36/month on its own (That's the cost we get them at). Then we're talking $7 for our latest 1GB KVM deal.

• Couldn't you use windows trial version and reinstall the vps every month?

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: Couldn't you use windows trial version and reinstall the vps every month?

Dreamspark might be a better idea actually - not paying £10/month for a licence for this unfortunately.

EDIT: Actually just remembered I've got a Win 8 licence somewhere.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I remember the exact service you are talking about it. I had an account with it and tried it a while back (couple of years ago). If only I could remember what it was called....

• klikliklikli Member
    edited April 2013

@jhadley said: It's for those times I need Windows or a fast connection to shift files around etc.

What about "cloud servers"? I mean like with Azure or EC2, you could quickly fire up a Windows instance when you need it, and get it shut when you don't.

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2013

@klikli said: What about "cloud servers"? I mean like Azure of EC2 you could quickly fire up a Windows instance when you need it, and get it shut when you don't.

Nearly ideal. Only problem is you have to reinstall your stuff every time you fire one up (or pay storage and wait?).

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jhadley said: A couple of years back I read about a beta service offering a Windows desktop in a web browser.

Sounds familiar. Let's see if I can find it.
    http://gigaom.com/2013/01/25/want-to-run-windows-through-an-html5-browser-mikogo-has-you-covered/
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/spoon-runs-windows-desktop-applications-browser/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_desktop

Nothing quite looks like what I recall, which I think is the same thing you're recalling. Oh well.

http://www.nivio.com

That's it! I'm almost certain of it.

• @jhadley

Why not use a ubuntu desktop etc?

• jhjh Member

@jarland said: That's it! I'm almost certain of it.

Name rings a bell, cheers bud. Will check it out!

@GetKVM_Ash said: Why not use a ubuntu desktop etc?

Not sure what's compatible and what isn't. E.g. today I needed to use Supermicro's IPMI which doesn't work well on my Mac, so guessing it's probably only built for Windows.

@jhadley said: today I needed to use Supermicro's IPMI which doesn't work well on my Mac, so guessing it's probably only built for Windows

Windows 2003 runs just well enough on a ramnode 256mb KVM to get the job done. I shut it down when I'm done because I'm not enough of a jerk to push the 256mb VPS that much, but it works ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

2008RC2 works here in 512 enough to host another VM with linux inside, do multi-tabbed browsing with flash, openoffice, gimp and adobe reader all in the same time.
    So, why would you need more ? We are out of stock but can do one exception for you at 7$. Licensed, of course.

• IntcsIntcs Member

Don't know if those would work or be in a suitable price range with that requirement
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157/windows-vps-by-hourly-rate
    since for +1 GB ram and a decent CPU it becomes not too cheap afaik.

• @superpilesos said: Why does he advertise in his site description that he uses desktop hardware?

Probably he really think this is the something top-notch for servers :)

• @jhadley

I do something similar to you with a Kimsufi, just load it up with a dreamspark licence and you're good to go.
    That's probably one of your cheapest options available.

• How do you get windows up there?
    iirc, OVH does not allow to have your own iso installed.
    I'd love to have a remote Windows machine as desktop, too.

• @Shigawire. Just add your windows licence key to the licences area of the OVH manager then re-install to the correct version. Simple!