Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi Colocation: Would you be interested?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi Colocation: Would you be interested?

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited April 2013 in General

Hello,

I understand that there is a reasonable demand for Raspberry Pi colocation at the moment. I've been wondering whether we can provide this under the PremiumVM brand. I can confirm that this would be possible.

We have worked out an agreement with RapidSwitch in the UK and we could provide Raspberry Pi colocation for around $7/mo. I understand that some people provide it for free, however, we cannot do that at this stage. Though, we can still provide it at LEB cost.

The package would include 100GB bandwidth which would be enough for the Pi. You would have to ship the Pi to the datacenter and then it would be racked and set up. We could provide the Pi at an extra cost (normal market cost - possibly) if that is easier.

If there is enough interest in this; then I would be happy to sort this out and go ahead with it. Donations would also be helpful to fund the project (for the power supplies etc).

Would appreciate any comments.

Comments

• I like the idea, but surely it would be more cost-effective to just pay for a VPS every month (loads better spec, bandwidth etc.).

I suppose you would be going for the 'hobbyist' market though?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can't see who would send you his raspberry, when we all know that you will close your new company in a couple of months.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Hello,

@CheapVPS said: I like the idea, but surely it would be more cost-effective to just pay for a VPS every month (loads better spec, bandwidth etc.).

Yeah, people could buy a VPS. However, the Raspberry Pi is a developed product and therefore people like it. There are lots of people who are asking for Raspberry Pi colocation on their forums, etc.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I can't see who would send you his raspberry, when we all know that you will close your new company in a couple of months.

You wouldn't send it directly to me, but the datacenter. And that's not going to happen, as you will see. I stated that I've made a sustainable business plan this time and that I can easily sustain it without closing. There's no issues there.

• @dominicl said: We have worked out an agreement with RapidSwitch

When you say "We" what do you mean? You and who else?

• I don't understand, what is the point of raspberry pi?

@rds100 said: When you say "We" what do you mean? You and who else?

For some reason, I always call my hosting site 'we' even if it is just me - must be a habit. I will have some other people on board shortly, but not as of yet.

Thanks.

• @dominicl said: I've made a sustainable business plan this time

Didn't you say that last time?

@DamienSB said: Didn't you say that last time?

I probably did; however I jumped in at the deep end too early which I have not done this time. Therefore, it is sustainable. I also have much more time to do this and will have other people helping me out shortly.

Thanks

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: I understand that there is a reasonable demand for Raspberry Pi colocation at the moment.

Nope, it's just a publicity gimmick for a couple of companies, targeted at users who don't know about the existence of cheap VPSes.

@dominicl said: we could provide Raspberry Pi colocation for around $7/mo

Almost any $7/mo VPS will be vastly more powerful than a Raspberry Pi. Even the slower numbers that we sometimes see reported from shared disk I/O will still be faster than an SD card. CPU-wise... don't even begin to compare.

There might be a "demand" if you call it that, for free colocation, but not at $7/mo.

You wouldn't send it directly to me, but the datacenter.

If you have even a slightest dark spot on your reputation (which you seem to have, according to all the comments here), I doubt anyone in their right mind will send you their physical stuff -- not to you, not "to the datacenter" (which will have contractual obligations only to you again, and generally couldn't care less about some Raspberries from random people).

• @dominicl said: Donations would also be helpful to fund the project (for the power supplies etc).

I'm a bit confused - you are charging for the service, so I suppose you are making a margin, but at the same time, you want people to donate to pay for your colo infrastructure? Am I missing something?

• necsnecs Member

I do not see anyone taking this from anyone that is not operating their own racks but I could be wrong, I think a better model would be RTO with a 6 month minimum, that may be more attractive.

• JacobJacob Member

And no I won't give you pointers / help on RPi Colo dominic.

I seen the ticket, it's not really rocket science.

edited April 2013

And no I won't give you pointers / help on RPi Colo dominic.

I seen the ticket, it's not really rocket science.

I wasn't asking for help. I'm pretty sure you said you were going to offer it a while ago, or have I got the wrong person :/

• JacobJacob Member

I'm just busy atm, if I would I could, if I get chance to go on skype sometime I'll have a chat.

I'm the only @jacob here.

@Jacob said: I'm just busy atm, if I would I could, if I get chance to go on skype sometime I'll have a chat.

I'm the only @jacob here.

Yeah I know, I just had in mind that it was you thinking of offering rPi colocation in the UK at one point..it may not have been though :P I see lots of tyhings every day.

Thanks.

• @DamienSB said: Didn't you say that last time?

@dominicl said: I probably did; however I jumped in at the deep end too early which I have not done this time. Therefore, it is sustainable. I also have much more time to do this and will have other people helping me out shortly.

And having a new idea coming up like every other day is not called "jumping in at the deep end too early"?

Learn how to walk before you can run. This is already the 3rd or 4th posts I have seen in the past month regarding your new ideas...and this is certainly not promising.

• Does it have to be an rpi? Can it be something else, like a Cubieboard?

@Damian said: Does it have to be an rpi? Can it be something else, like a Cubieboard?

Never heard of a Cubieboard :P

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@dominicl said: Never heard of a Cubieboard :P

http://cubieboard.org/

Same concept as RPi, in that it's a small, single-board computer, but has a proper Ethernet controller, a SATA port, 4gb of onboard storage, and more ram and faster processor for only $14 more.

• jhjh Member

Or http://apc.io/

But simply aiming to charging people for a gimmick they can get for nothing isn't a business plan IMHO.

@Damian said: http://cubieboard.org/

Same concept as RPi, in that it's a small, single-board computer, but has a proper Ethernet controller, a SATA port, 4gb of onboard storage, and more ram and faster processor for only $14 more.

Nice.

• @Damian said: Does it have to be an rpi? Can it be something else, like a Cubieboard?

You are not helping him @Damian :)

• Ehh, I had one of these. Slower CPU, doesn't natively run Linux, less ram, no SATA port, larger footprint, costs more. I don't really think there's a benefit over it either the RPi or Cubie.