Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi colocation

DamianDamian Member
edited April 2013 in General

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3685

As of 9 April 2013, a total of 150 Raspberry Pis steadily used 4.5 Amps on average and about 1 TB of bandwidth last month. Now, most of them were only placed a few days or weeks before, so this may not be the most accurate picture ever; however, it does give a general idea on how they perform. Oh well, I guess we’ll just have to follow up on this post in the future!

Some pictures:

150 Pis:

Comments

• JacobJacob Member

4.5A that's quite alot for 150, unless it's 120v.

• jhjh Member

Nice and tidy :)

• Boy, that's pretty @Damian.

How are you attaching storage and what is the use of these?

All those case added to the cost surely...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Liam said: I feel they are stealing the glory a bit. EDIS ( @william & @expl0rer ) were the first to offer free colo for pis, in fact colo for pis full stop. Still very nice post and interesting.

This is what I thought.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@pubcrawler I don't believe those are his : http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3685

• Doh! @Fliphost. Well still nifty.

I know @Damian has had his eyes on these sorts of ARM devices for a long time.

• MunMun Member

I want to colocate my pi's

• Still waiting for pcextreme to deliver my 2 pi's :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

One would think at this scale they'd come up with a better powering scheme Mkay it looks like they're working on it.

As of 9 April 2013, a total of 150 Raspberry Pis steadily used 4.5 Amps on average and about 1 TB of bandwidth last month.

This btw seems to be 1TB for all of them, not 1TB each on average, as I thought at first (and wondered how do you use 1TB of b/w on a 500 GB limit).

• @Jacob said: 4.5A that's quite alot for 150, unless it's 120v.

4.5A * 230V / 150 = 6.9watts per rpi

stop sleeping at school! ;-)

• JacobJacob Member

Too much power!

• who is offering colo? Is it IPXCore?

• @jcaleb

pcextreme in holland.

• thank you

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

@pubcrawler said: oy, that's pretty @Damian.

How are you attaching storage and what is the use of these?

@Fliphost said: @pubcrawler I don't believe those are his

@jcaleb said: who is offering colo? Is it IPXCore?

Ha! I wish we were offering something this cool :(

@pubcrawler said: I know @Damian has had his eyes on these sorts of ARM devices for a long time.

I have... unfortunately, the focus of manufacturers using ARM's cores seem to be personal devices at the moment. I look forward to a proper motherboard of sorts; whenever ARM starts attacking the PC and low-power server market, it's going to open the gateway to many-core CPUs for the higher-end server market, and will effectively wipe x86 off the face of the planet.

@Liam said: I feel they are stealing the glory a bit. EDIS ( @william & @expl0rer ) were the first to offer free colo for pis, in fact colo for pis full stop. Still very nice post and interesting.

The difference here is that EDIS didn't really seem to advertise it; their method of conveying it was "sure email us" rather than having an explicit announcement and website about it.

I don't really think it discredits them, though.

@taronyu said: Still waiting for pcextreme to deliver my 2 pi's :)

I bought another Pi, a model B rev 2.0, for $44 off Amazon on Thursday. Will be here on Saturday :X

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2013

We bought a few PIs this week at RS Austria and had them delivered today :)

Also all the plug PSUs in that rack.. horrible, no way we would ever have done that (besides that the fire safety laws forbid such constructions anyway)

The PI has 2 serious issues to use it for such things:

A.: No mounts.
    Seriously, who the hell designed this thing with not even a single shitty mounting hole? Not good.

B.: Power & Powering.
    5V is simply NOT USEABLE - I did NOT manage to find any good PSU with 50A 5V or more, nowhere, impossible.
    The competition uses 12V (for which you can get a 25A PSU for a few bucks everywhere).
    The micro USB is not good as well, while it has no license fees (which the round plugs don't have either) it is also very unstable, breaks easily and could even cause damage on some (granted, stone old) USB 1.0/1.1 hardware.
    A round plug (someone remembers the old power plugs Nokia phones had until around the 3200? 3310 had it for example, round plug, 3mm) would have been much better.

• For what it's worth, my Pi arrived at pcextreme.nl a few days ago. They racked it pretty quickly and first impressions look good - it should be a nice little IPv4/IPv6 bnc/dev box.

• @William said: Seriously, who the hell designed this thing with not even a single shitty mounting hole? Not good.

Buy newer revisions.

• @Damian said: Buy newer revisions.

We can't decide on what our customers buy for colo...

• ok since all have one, i want one. but i see some sellers are from china, is that ok?

or wich site do you recommend me, there are some on ebay with a case.

• Wow! I always wondered how they racked them. Personally it would seem like having them on their side would be more space efficient.

• pcanpcan Member

@William said: I did NOT manage to find any good PSU with 50A 5V or more, nowhere,

Go on the RS components web site (or go to any electronics/industrial part supplier) and search in the SMPS power supply section. There are plenty of +5v industrial power supplies with high current output. As example: RS product code 770-4055 has +5V 100A output. To avoid the micro usb connector, you can feed the power to Raspberry through the GPIO header. According to my experience, making a proper wiring for > 30A currents is tricky: the cable must be huge to avoid unwanted voltage drops, and a short on the load could cause serious damage because it may generate a voltage spike. Another (and maybe cheaper) solution could be a big 24V power supply followed by a number of DC/DC 24V/5V converters. 24V is often used as power bus on automation and control systems, so there is a better supply of relatively cheap parts.

• FreekFreek Member

@taronyu said: pcextreme in holland.

I just signed up for my PI to be colocated at them as well. I figured it's better to put it to use than hide it in my drawer. I see they also allow you to ship it with an USB stick attached to it. 64GB isn't that expensive anymore. In combination with 500GB B/W, that's quite some free storage ;)
    Probably gonna run a VPN Server on it, together with a TeamSpeak server and FTP server I guess. Science!!