Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Official Arch Image Support Banter after pacman -Syu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Official Arch Image Support Banter after pacman -Syu

twaintwain Member
edited April 2013 in General

Man you would think they would at least be able to re-IP this for me after updating their official arch image borks eth0 after a reboot... ah well :)

Ticket created on 17 Apr 21:28

Hello,

I updated this Arch image and no connectivity after reboot. Console access reveals only a loopback interface with ifconfig.

Can you fix?

Thanks!

support
Posted April 17th, 2013 21:45

Hello,

We are currently investigating this issue.

We will report our findings in this ticket as soon as possible.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions in the mean time.

Thank you.

Posted April 18th, 2013 11:19

Any progress on this? This should not be too difficult eh? I can probably do it in about 30 seconds, but I figured it might be better to let you guys take care of IP'ing it... let me know please.

Posted April 18th, 2013 15:46

If you are able to resolve this issue, I would recommend that.

When an upgrade is performed on an arch image there is sometimes an issue with the networking.

This is because we currently do not support kernel upgrades because they are running through the hypervisor.

We are working on providing this feature and we haven't yet decided which course to take. Either to hand over the kernel directly to customers through the use of Grub, or to provide pre-build kernels on the hypervisor where you can select which one to boot from.

Thanks

Comments

• tommytommy Member
    edited April 2013

just curious, if you can do it your self, why bothering contact support ?

• twaintwain Member

Was curious about their response time and competence, and both appear lacking.

• actually they are pretty awesome and the support has always been great for me. maybe you wanted to act smart and they told you to do it yourself if you sound so smart haha

• @twain the problem appears to be you having out of sync expectations.

DO don't offer a managed service, they don't claim to support arch. You updated it, you broke it. It is arch after all. I'm surprised they even told you they were looking into it - their response should have been "you're on your own, figure it out."

• @gqserv said: actually they are pretty awesome and the support has always been great for me.

Same
    Good answers in 2-10 minutes

• ZettaZetta Member

@twain said: response time and competence, and both appear lacking

Pffft, if I was them I wouldn't manage your Arch for free, I'll nicely point you to some Ubuntu images with that attitude.

• circuscircus Member
    edited April 2013

Probably because of this

• Arch breaks after updating? This must be something new :)

• unusedunused Member
    edited April 2013

@rds100 said: Arch breaks after updating? This must be something new :)

Yeah, seriously. Any arch or gentoo user upgrading anything and complaining about breakage is a total a**

• flyfly Member

@circus said: Probably because of this

nope

• twaintwain Member

@twain said: We are working on providing this feature and we haven't yet decided which course to take. Either to hand over the kernel directly to customers through the use of Grub, or to provide pre-build kernels on the hypervisor where you can select which one to boot from.

Actually no, they should have had this bit worked out before providing an Arch image. One should be expected to be able to update a KVM image without breakage. This is why those that want to use Arch as a VM look for KVM providers. Actually, the least one could expect would be a reasonable answer such as "we're sorry about that, but our Arch images don't support updating, please just reinstall it. We are working on providing support for updating at a future time." And you don't have to wait 12+ hours to give that response either.

• @twain said: One should be expected to be able to update a KVM image without breakage.

Seriously!!! ffs

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@unused said: Yeah, seriously. Any arch or gentoo user complaining about anything is a total a**

FTFY.
    If you don't go and simply use Debian like normal people, then you're obviously smart enough to solve all your problems yourself. :p

• twaintwain Member

@rm_ said: FTFY.

If you don't go and simply use Debian like normal people, then you're obviously smart enough to solve all your problems yourself. :p

This is not actually relevant. You should not provide a KVM template that cannot be updated period. All the points about Arch elitism or you are a smart-ass Arch user, or go use Debian are also not relevant. I don't actually use Arch, was just playing around with it, as was also just toying around with DO in general. Performance of the VM is actually quite good. And normal people use CentOS btw.

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited April 2013

But digital ocean uses ovz?

• flyfly Member
    edited April 2013

@skirtTight said: But digital ocean uses ovz?

lolno

@twain said: And normal people use CentOS btw.

ha no

from http://www.linode.com/about/

56% of deployments are Ubuntu
    21% of deployments are Debian
    17% of deployments are CentOS
    2.2% of deployments are Fedora
    1.8% of deployments are Arch
  • twaintwain Member

@skirtTight said: But digital ocean uses ovz?

No, KVM:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/faq

• twaintwain Member

@fly said: from http://www.linode.com/about/

56% of deployments are Ubuntu

21% of deployments are Debian
    17% of deployments are CentOS
    2.2% of deployments are Fedora
    1.8% of deployments are Arch

http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux
    Call it about even?

• You update Arch and expect it not to break?

It's not DigitalOceans fault if your distribution chooses to act the way it does. Why not just install Debian minimal?

• twaintwain Member

@MrAndroid said: You update Arch and expect it not to break?

Actually yes, I don't expect the eth0 interface to disappear.

• @twain, if it's kvm/fully virtualized, then it's a problem with your kernel/driver. Why would/should they need to change anything to make it work?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

@twain said: Actually yes, I don't expect the eth0 interface to disappear.

Why should they have to make specific patches to their system to cater for a very small amount of users who choose to use an operating system that is known for breaking when updating.

Is not DigitalOceans fault that Arch is terrible. If Arch is the only distro that has issues, then clearly its an issue with Arch and not DO.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

So, let me get this right.

You order an unmanaged service, then install a distribution that is known to give issues with upgrades, upgrade it, ask support to fix it, then continue to act like a smartass in your ticket, and you expect their support to respond like nice obedient drones while you are acting like an ass towards them?

Right. There's actual living, breathing people on the other end of that ticket system, you know.

• @joepie91 said: So, let me get this right.

You order an unmanaged service, then install a distribution that is known to give issues with upgrades, upgrade it, ask support to fix it, then continue to act like a smartass in your ticket, and you expect their support to respond like nice obedient drones while you are acting like an ass towards them?

Right. There's actual living, breathing people on the other end of that ticket system, you know.

This. And probably for $5/month :)

• @joepie91 said: So, let me get this right.

Unfortunately this type of behavior is to be expected from the elitist hipsters of the Archland.

• Bookmarked to show people in the future. This thread is a great example of why we stopped supporting Arch.

At our price point, we simply can't spring into action to repeatedly fix a Linux distro that has been known to commit suicide.

@joepie91 said: You order an unmanaged service, then install a distribution that is known to give issues with upgrades, upgrade it, ask support to fix it, then continue to act like a smartass in your ticket, and you expect their support to respond like nice obedient drones while you are acting like an ass towards them?

I think I should add you as an admin in our ticket system, and then you too can enjoy abuse by customers :D The guy who got his VPS suspended because his IRC bot's binary that was spiking 100% of a CPU core was named ".sshrc", then was pissy about his VPS getting suspended, is the best one yet.

• twaintwain Member

I didn't actually have any expectations here was just an exercise to see how they would handle it and I found out.