Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Purchasing Question: M.2 NVMe 22110 SSDs , where to buy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Purchasing Question: M.2 NVMe 22110 SSDs , where to buy?

Some of you purchase for DCs so I wanted to ask for suggestions for best suppliers for 22110 SSDs M.2 form factor, preferably Samsung.

Newegg and Amazon have a lot of 2280 but not 22110. The 22110 seems to be referred to as 'enterprise' whereas 2280 is consumer.

Comments

• It's just the length of the pcb (and hence the amount of chips that fit on it) that differ.

Not specifically enterprise or whatever.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I can't think of any 22110 NVMe SSDs from Samsung, or really anyone else. The only one I can think of is Seagate Nytro from last year, and they're nothing special.

• Real DCs do not use NVMe with M.2 connectors - because M.2 connectors are by default made for consumer hardware.

Real DCs use enterprise grade hardware which generally uses U.2 connectors.

• Ya, all good, thank you for the replies.

But any idea where to find 22110 NVMe online?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Zerpy said:
    Real DCs do not use NVMe with M.2 connectors - because M.2 connectors are by default made for consumer hardware.

It’s not about the connector, it’s about the drive. Plenty of quite high end servers have at least one M.2 ports on the motherboard and are capable from booting from it. U.2 gives you the ability to hot swap if you have hot swap bays though.

• @Clouvider said:

@Zerpy said:
    Real DCs do not use NVMe with M.2 connectors - because M.2 connectors are by default made for consumer hardware.

It’s not about the connector, it’s about the drive. Plenty of quite high end servers have at least one M.2 ports on the motherboard and are capable from booting from it. U.2 gives you the ability to hot swap if you have hot swap bays though.

Sure - but majority of DC grade NVMe drives you find will be U.2 connectors because people generally want it hotswappable - R740xd for example do have M.2 slots (2 of them) - however seen from a DC perspective using M.2 slots wouldn't make much sense, replacing a drive means shutting down the server, open it up, close it, boot again - it's a waste of time.

For a OS drive, sure M.2 might make sense also due to possibly limited writes - but alone the fact you easy spend 5-10 minutes replacing a single drive makes it annoying.

edited December 2017

@Zerpy said:

@Clouvider said:

@Zerpy said:

Sure - but majority of DC grade NVMe drives you find will be U.2 connectors because people generally want it hotswappable - R740xd for example do have M.2 slots (2 of them) - however seen from a DC perspective using M.2 slots wouldn't make much sense, replacing a drive means shutting down the server, open it up, close it, boot again - it's a waste of time.

I agree, it’s easier, it has nothing to do with confirming the statement that ‘Real DCs use U.2’.

For a OS drive, sure M.2 might make sense also due to possibly limited writes - but alone the fact you easy spend 5-10 minutes replacing a single drive makes it annoying.

Port, M2 vs U.2, has nothing to do with the reliability nor endurance of a drive, nor it defines whether the drive is made to be used in Datacentres, enterprise or soho. The only difference is that M.2 is made to be installed internally within a server, and U.2 is made for a hot swap bay. DC drives come in both formats. Unfortunately the U.2 selection is still limited in the same segment and usually exactly the same model costs more with U.2 due to the benefit of not ‘wasting time’ and ‘being annoyed by a need of shutting down a server’, and he downtime that comes with it.

• @Clouvider said:
    Port, M2 vs U.2, has nothing to do with the reliability nor endurance of a drive

M.2 generally runs hotter than U.2, hotter drives can change reliability or endurance

At same time, the reason why I'd want to do lower writes on M.2 would be to not bother having to shutdown a server every time I need a drive replaced.

I rather abuse a hotswappable drive - and the price difference between M.2 and U.2 drives isn't big - at least if you buy enough :-D

Ok, so it’s a slogan only for you, fine.

• @Clouvider said:

And major datacenters :-)

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: I agree, it’s easier, it has nothing to do with confirming the statement that ‘Real DCs use U.2’.

Which drives do you "normally" use in your servers? We use the Intel DC P4600.

@Zerpy said:

@Clouvider said:

No, connector doesn’t make the drive enterprise nor doesn’t say it is made for Datacentre use or not.

If you don’t agree, share the source and stop repeating slogans.

• @Clouvider said:

@Zerpy said:

@Clouvider said:

No, connector doesn’t make the drive enterprise nor doesn’t say it is made for Datacentre use or not.

If you don’t agree, share the source and stop repeating slogans.

It was more the fact that you'll find that DC (and customers) prefer U.2 drives over M.2 drives because of easier replacement.

I don't care about the connector, just stating the obvious that you find DCs using drives with U.2 connector drives more than M.2 - and it's also what Intel and Samsung for example bet on in terms of storage for servers :-)

If M.2 was so amazing for DCs, it's surprised that no one made motherboards supporting 24 M.2 slots :')

U.2 is easier replacable, runs cooler, doesn't require downtime for replacement since it's often hotswappable, so easier to deploy in DCs - it's a fact.

• @gleert said:

Clouvider said: I agree, it’s easier, it has nothing to do with confirming the statement that ‘Real DCs use U.2’.

Which drives do you "normally" use in your servers? We use the Intel DC P4600.

He likes consumer drives a lot.
    On his website: 1x 256GB Enterprise Samsung PM961 NVMe

Reality is that PM961 is a consumer drive - at least according to Samsung themselves.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

Zerpy said: He likes consumer drives a lot. On his website: 1x 256GB Enterprise Samsung PM961 NVMe

That's a M.2 drive... Not a U.2 drive...

• @gleert said:

Zerpy said: He likes consumer drives a lot. On his website: 1x 256GB Enterprise Samsung PM961 NVMe

That's a M.2 drive... Not a U.2 drive...

Yes, that's what Clouvider uses - M.2 - not U.2 :-)

edited December 2017

Clouvider uses many different types of drives, depending on Customer requirements, compatibility and performance needs, with the majority of enterprise drives. I honestly don’t see where you found information that PM961 or SM961 are consumer drives. Maybe you’ve mistaken them for 960 Pro and Evo. PM/SM drives are OEM and thanks to their high endurance have a variety of use cases. Ask you Samsung account manager, if you have one.

Seems you have run out of arguments and decided to go personal. That’s childish, and a moment for me to quit the discussion and let you spread your ‘fake news’ ;-).

Have a good Sunday.

Thanked by 1hackerman
  • @Clouvider said:
    Clouvider uses many different types of drives, depending on Customer requirements, with the majority of enterprise drives. I honestly don’t see where you found information that PM961 or SM961 are consumer drives. Maybe you’ve mistaken them for 960 Pro and Evo. PM/SM drives are OEM and thanks to their high endurance have a variety of use cases. Ask you Samsung account manager, if you have one.

Seems you have run out of arguments and decided to go personal. That’s childish, and a moment for me to quit the discussion and let you spread your ‘fake news’ ;-).

Have a good Sunday.

Enterprise SSDs from Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/enterprise-ssd/

Consumer SSDs from Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/products/flash-storage/client-ssd/

Now, see that SM961 is consumer/client SSD and not Enterprise - ask your samsung account manager :-)

SM963 on the other hand, is enterprise and is still M.2 form factor.

So maybe you just heard wrong from your samsung account manager, and purchased SM961 when you should have purchased SM963 - it's OK if you make mistakes, but saying that SM961 is an enterprise drive, because you realize you're wrong is just stupid.

Thanked by 1Bogdacutuu
  • I appreciate the microdrama. Every bit counts.

Thanked by 2Zerpy imok
  • @Yura said:
    I appreciate the microdrama. Every bit counts.

Especially in SSDs <3

edited December 2017

Eh, you really have problem with reading what I write, do you ? Please re-read my post.

Or you purposely spin it to cover up your own complete lack of knowledge and incorrect assumption (as prove by your very own post, eh) that M.2 = consumer and U.2 = DC (there are also consumer drives in U.2 format btw) in that way?

I don’t know and I don’t care :-).

Have a good one !

D

• @Clouvider said:
    Eh, you really have problem with reading what I write, do you ? Please re-read my post.

You wrote that you do not see where PM961 is consumer drives, yet it even says on the Samsung website ;)

So I actually read correctly - just you thinking that you sell Enterprise PM961 which doesn't exist :') it's you that fail, ask your account manager.

Thanked by 1Bogdacutuu
  • When someone doesn't get M.2 vs U.2 I usually just show them this pic https://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/news/2015-06-08/U.2-M.2.jpg it helps.