Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Task Managment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Task Managment

MunMun Member
edited April 2013 in General

Anyone have a good task management software. Was looking for something web based if possible.

Thanks in advanced.

Edit: Prefered if I could host it

Comments

• Free or open source or?

In terms of commercial I'd recommend Atlassian JIRA.

• MunMun Member

Cheap?

@concerto49 said: Free or open source or?

Mainly will be used for simple personal stuff.

• @Mun said: Cheap?

If you install on your own server it's $10/year license.

If you want them to host it, it's $10/month, and $100/year.

There are other commercial ones with similar prices.

Haven't seen another good one yet that is free. Trac for example is errr crap.

• MunMun Member

kk thanks, Ill see what others might bring in.

@bluevm linked me this: https://github.com/RaymiiOrg/tasks.php

• @gqserv said: Trello

+1

• We use http://qdpm.net/

It's good.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@gqserv said: Trello

Another "cloud service" that will be pulled from under you a year down the road, after you start depending on it. No thanks, how about something installable on your own server/LEB?

• scrumwise!

• Another vote for JIRA here but it's a bit overkill for simple personal stuff. Maybe something more lightweight like Smartsheet or Redmine would be better?

• twaintwain Member

maybe Tracks?

+1 I use Tracks it's great.

And

• I use Wunderlist and they've recently announced Wunderlist Pro, the paid version.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind, but I've been using them for more than a year now and they've never let me down. It's a minimalistic but reliable service with web access as well as a desktop and mobile app for the most popular OSs.

• MunMun Member

I guess I am mainly just looking for a simple To-Do web application with mobile support. I would prefer If I could host it myself, but it isn't a requirement.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Mun said: I guess I am mainly just looking for a simple To-Do web application with mobile support. I would prefer If I could host it myself, but it isn't a requirement.

I love Toodledo. My #1 favorite web app. They have iPhone and iOS apps as well, and a host of third-party add-ons. It's freemium, though for most people free is enough (premium adds subtasks and some collaborative features).

You can organize with whatever style you want - i.e., GTD is easy to setup, or if you have some personal style you've evolved you can easily implement that, etc. All the usual interfaces - a REST API, turn emails into todos, tags/contexts/folders/etc., keyboard shortcuts on the web interface, etc.

I can't recommend Toodledo highly enough.

For group-based, I've been impressed with Asana. I like Atlassian's Jira, but it's expensive to run. The first 10 users are free, but then it jumps to $XXXX, and of course as it's java-based you need at least a medium-sized VM. But it is nice.

• I am actually currently working on a self-hosted task management solution but since it is just a thing that I do in my spare time, you might have to hold out for a bit while it gets to a stage where early beta testing can begin. It's Python based and uses the Django Framework which, admittedly, is not as easy to deploy as a PHP web app, though the docs should thoroughly cover a basic apache install. It will be open source and hosted on Github (in a few days).

• Do you have skype? We use a skype bot, that we use for team task tracking. 1 Task at a time though.

• MunMun Member

I hate skype with a passion, sorry :(

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@connorl could you explain how that works ?

• I would also be interested in this skype bot, is this something openly available? Sounds interesting.

• ConnorlConnorl Member
    edited April 2013

@TheLinuxBug @MikHo

We use this: https://github.com/opensourcehacker/sevabot

Run it on a Ubuntu VPS, we use a 1GB. Developer is really friendly. We made our own module, so that it alerts us to new tickets and orders in WHMCS.

Connor

• One simple option would be to host your own private Wiki. DokuWiki is a good option, since it is a flat wiki and backing it up is done simply by tarring its folder. Enable SSL on your http server and you're good :).

• org-mode, maybe combine it with dropbox.

• tree.io - run on LEB

hall.com - won't suddenly be gone

• MunMun Member

tree.io looks good, thanks :)

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Yes. Tree.io seems very interesting. Though @raindog308 did mention that it may not be maintained anymore.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/214065#Comment_214065

• +1 for Trello :)

• @Connorl
    Would you mind sharing it?

• @blergh_ said: Would you mind sharing it?

Link to the bot is above.