Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end Wifi Router Under 50$ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end Wifi Router Under 50$

2»

Comments

• @WSS said:
    It's a 6 year old piece of equipment. It shouldn't be that expensive now.

i was just checkig online stores

will make a few calls to local dealers

• didn't tested LEDE on it but i guess its not fully compatible
    personally i prefer Mikrotik own OS over lede , RouterOS .

@mehargags said:

@hammad said:
    if you can compromise on 100mbit ports you can Go for mikrotik hap ac lite , its well worth the money every thing mikrotik have to offer.

Yes I'm looking for a new router as well when I saw this thread... the HP AC lite is listed as LEDE compatible as well.

Anyone hands-on with it using LEDE ?

• @mksh said:
    Simens Futro S400 + Linksys wifi card. About $10 each.

How you've set it up? Any online tutorials?

I'm really interested in these Futros.

• Xiaomi and Tenda is awesome if you know some Chinese (Google translate is enough).
    Just be sure that you've a modem if you're DSL customer otherwise it wont work well.

• i have both of them in english firmware. got them from aliexpress.

@benj0x said:
    Xiaomi and Tenda is awesome if you know some Chinese (Google translate is enough).
    Just be sure that you've a modem if you're DSL customer otherwise it wont work well.

• @benj0x said:

@mksh said:
    Simens Futro S400 + Linksys wifi card. About $10 each.

How you've set it up? Any online tutorials?

I'm really interested in these Futros.

There not much special about setting them up. They are really just small PCs and at least for Debian/Devuan all parts are supported out of the box. There even is an IDE port on the board. Using it is a bit tricky though as you have to find the right pins on the board to get power and be a bit creative about how to fit the disk into the case. https://wiki.medien.ifi.lmu.de/Main/FutroS400FSC is the only thing related to that i could locate but it seems to be in german, sorry.

Beyond that you just install your OS of choice to a CF Card or an USB dongle and boot from that. IIRC what the page says about the Futro not booting with syslinux is true so be sure to use grub. Also that means installation from USB or a CD-Rom attached to the IDE port might not work but installing the OS to a CF card or USB dongle at another PC is easier anyways imo.

Only thing to keep in mind when installing your OS to some flash storage is that they don't like being written to constantly so either move the places that get regular writes (mostly /tmp, /var/tmp, /var/log) to ram (tmpfs) or an external USB dongle that will not bother you to much when it breaks.

Thanked by 1benj0x
  • @hammad said:
    i have both of them in english firmware. got them from aliexpress.

@benj0x said:
    Xiaomi and Tenda is awesome if you know some Chinese (Google translate is enough).

Of course they've an English firmware. But often it's not 100% translated. Sometimes you'll need to speak some Chinese or atleast know how to use an translator :)

• NETGEAR WNDR4300
    LEDE Reboot 17.01.0 r3205-59508e3 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.059.52489-5be88e0)

Very nice and only cost me about $20 from taobao. Only problem with its LEDE is on its software NAT which can only handle up to ~180Mbps.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2017

All Tenda is shit.

Something like TP-Link, but somewhat cheaper.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Janevski said:
    All Tenda is shit.

Exactly like TP-Link, but somewhat cheaper.

Fixed that for you.

Thanked by 2netomx Janevski
  • Spare another $30 bucks and get the Linksys 1900AC V2 from ebay (refurb).
    Flash LEDE(OpenWRT).
    Profit.

PS: I have a refurb 3200ACM (Driver issues as of now, eta new firmware 12/15) and 1900AC V2, works great!

• @AuroraZ said:

@Janevski said:
    All Tenda is shit.

Exactly like TP-Link, but somewhat cheaper.

Fixed that for you.

TP-Link currently shifts away from atheros, so yeah, now they seem to be exactly as crappy.

Thanked by 1maverickp
    1. Find models that are well supported by 3rd party firmware like dd-wrt, LEDE
    2. Check www.smallnetbuilder.com for detailed reviews, performance charts, comparisons

From hindsight, I'd say #1 is especially important. Better features, frequent updates, security fixes, customizable. The downside is the reduced throughput compared to stock firmware with proprietary hardware acceleration.

• Anything MediaTek (mt76xx) based is going to be pants, sadly. Avoid all hardware with MediaTek at all cost to vote with your money.

• ebay is super cheap ... but not in my country

• its fucking 12$ Tenda 318 router and it let me do what lede , ddwrt or tplink firmware cant let me , (atleast not out of box )

• @hammad DD-WRT and LEDE are completely different things. Don't confuse them.

DD-WRT has a closet-agreement to use proprietary toolkits to build on an older 3.x kernel, and LEDE is trying like heck to get everything all working in 4.9.x right now with primarily OSS code.

Thanked by 1uptime